Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

• Tier 1 390W all-black panel
  • SolarEdge HD-Wave 1ph inverter
  • GivEnergy AC-coupled inverter with 9.5 kWh battery (9.5 kWh usable)
  • MCS system registration
  • Installation of a small PV system (16 panels)
  • Battery installation - add-on with PV
  • Scaffolding included
Total value including VAT£17,044.29

Heh.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking further out for an install including a battery, the new myenergi libbi looks like and interesting new competitor on the market. Capacities from ~5kWh up to 20kWh, 90% DoD, 10 year warranty and inverters that support 5000VA at 20A (4.6kW) as back up/load draw.
Pricing isn't high or low based on market conditions right now they are advertising them at £4,595 + VAT for the entry level 5kWh + 3.68kW hybrid inverter (3.6kW output), so similar price to a GivEnergy V2 Hybrid and 5kWh pack.

The libbi will behave like a Tesla PW2 when they get the network up and running, meaning you'll be able to take part in a virtual power station, and eventually possibly get paid a significant amount of money for the exporting of the power when required at peak times.

Data sheet for the devices is - HERE. According to myenergi they are finalising the installer training and network of suppliers, but couldn't state if they'll be offering packages with car charger/eddi and other products they offer.

Have you asked for that specific setup? Why use an AC coupled inverter instead of a hybrid inverter to start with?

Nope the only input I had was battery size. Im not sure what the inverter types are so I'll look it up and book in some new quotes.

He mentioned that we should aim to minimise my grid based energy usage, and having read up on it the AC inverter would allow us to use both Panel and Battery at the same time. In reality though I'd guess that only applies in the summer when usage is lower anyway?

Last edited:
If anyone is looking further out for an install including a battery, the new myenergi libbi looks like and interesting new competitor on the market. Capacities from ~5kWh up to 20kWh, 90% DoD, 10 year warranty and inverters that support 5000VA at 20A (4.6kW) as back up/load draw.
Pricing isn't high or low based on market conditions right now they are advertising them at £4,595 + VAT for the entry level 5kWh + 3.68kW hybrid inverter (3.6kW output), so similar price to a GivEnergy V2 Hybrid and 5kWh pack.

The libbi will behave like a Tesla PW2 when they get the network up and running, meaning you'll be able to take part in a virtual power station, and eventually possibly get paid a significant amount of money for the exporting of the power when required at peak times.

Data sheet for the devices is - HERE. According to myenergi they are finalising the installer training and network of suppliers, but couldn't state if they'll be offering packages with car charger/eddi and other products they offer.

I'm hopeful that GivEnergy kit would also work for this type of purpose too, I don't necessarily see why not if the inverter is smart, as that is the brains behind the operations.

Would want some decent payment though as it's extra wear on the battery.

I'm hopeful that GivEnergy kit would also work for this type of purpose too, I don't necessarily see why not if the inverter is smart, as that is the brains behind the operations.

Would want some decent payment though as it's extra wear on the battery.

I think it will be something more vendors offer, especially as demand for more greener electricity increases to hit targets over the next decade +. There has to be a will for them to invest in making it work, and that will is usually money orientated, so I guess we'll see how quickly others add the functionality, if at all.

As for the payment, I doubt the extra wear on LFP is that big of a deal assuming you aren't allowing a full discharge/charge cycle to happen, but I do see your point. I am not that bothered from a wear side of things, but would like to ensure that some of the revenue goes into my upgrade pot for the future.

I think it will be something more vendors offer, especially as demand for more greener electricity increases to hit targets over the next decade +. There has to be a will for them to invest in making it work, and that will is usually money orientated, so I guess we'll see how quickly others add the functionality, if at all.

As for the payment, I doubt the extra wear on LFP is that big of a deal assuming you aren't allowing a full discharge/charge cycle to happen, but I do see your point. I am not that bothered from a wear side of things, but would like to ensure that some of the revenue goes into my upgrade pot for the future.

If you're being paid then it's fine, at least the extra cash helps pay for the next battery etc. Has to be cheaper than paying people £3/kwh for not using power sometimes for example.

• Tier 1 390W all-black panel
  • SolarEdge HD-Wave 1ph inverter
  • GivEnergy AC-coupled inverter with 9.5 kWh battery (9.5 kWh usable)
  • MCS system registration
  • Installation of a small PV system (16 panels)
  • Battery installation - add-on with PV
  • Scaffolding included
Total value including VAT£17,044.29

Heh.
I am not an expert, but I would get the Solar edge HD wave 6kw Hybrid HD wave with the new Solaredge 10kw DC coupled battery, beware the 3kw throttling effect of the GE inverter but understand the GE version saves you £2k. I am just having problems trying to find SolarEdge installers in Norfolk just had 1 quote so far arghhhh

I got a quote from a local PV installer with good reviews before they have since stopped taking any new orders. The quote is just shy of £15k for the following.

13 x JA 395w Mono Black Solar Panels c/w 12yr manufacturer’s warranty & 25y performance warranty.
1 x 3.68kW Huawei Hybrid Battery Ready Single-Phase Inverter – 10yr manufactures warranty (Mounted Externally)
1 x 10kW Huawei LUNA Battery Storage System (Mounted Externally)
1 x Professional Metal Bird Protection.
13 x Huawei Optimisers
Set up of Free Remote Monitoring.
Tile Roof Mount System
MCS Certificate
All DC & AC components
Metering Equipment
Test & Commissioning
G98/G99 Pre & Post Connection Notification
Scaffolding To Required Aspects

What are your thoughts - about right for what it provides?

I've got a hybrid car and use the hot tub in the summer so hoping that it will reduce my 4000-5000kwh annual electric bill.

Also considering eventually moving to hot water provided using edimax and eventually an air source heat pump, I've been insulating and making the house less leaky with air tightness.

Last edited:
Boys boys boys....

393kwh in October - the location stays.... ;)

It occurred to me today that Kent, is indeed sunnier....................... :D

Sunnier-in-Kent.jpg

Yes that really is 3144.7kWh generated in October, in sunny Kent, we have 200 panels on the roof at work, which equates to 50 kW of panels.

But, 3144.7/50 = 62.9kWh per kW of panels.

At home I generated a measly 1.21kWh today, at work 16.1kWh with 12.5 times the amount of Solar

It occurred to me today that Kent, is indeed sunnier....................... :D

Sunnier-in-Kent.jpg

Yes that really is 3144.7kWh generated in October, in sunny Kent, we have 200 panels on the roof at work, which equates to 50 kW of panels.

But, 3144.7/50 = 62.9kWh per kW of panels.

At home I generated a measly 1.21kWh today, at work 16.1kWh with 12.5 times the amount of Solar

I thought for a moment you'd got your new install working or something!!

9.51kw for me today - not bad, tomorrow meant to be much better....

Back
Top Bottom