Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Whats everyone using to monitor the output of your solar panels ? I had an Eco-Eye Smart PV which showed me how much the panels were producing it had a nice big display and could show you what is being produced, what the house is using and the difference. Even has basic data gathering on a SD card which you could then download to your PC. Its just died after 6 years of service. It was accurate to within 50w and it was a quick way to just see how much was being produced. (we have a new gen2 smart meter)

Looking round apart from the inaccurate Owl and Watsonn systems I cant see anything else. Just looking at this Loop app but I like to see a display I can read in the kitchen. Unless I just buy another Eco-Eye.

Last edited:
Octopus agile export is looking very tasty tomorrow from 16:30. Going to be over a £1 per KW exported! Going to aim to dump 10 KW into the grid from 16:30 - 18:30.

Can you fill battery on the cheap over night at 7.5p and then use that and tell the battery to export?

Can you fill battery on the cheap over night at 7.5p and then use that and tell the battery to export?
You can't be on go and agile export at the same time. You can be on agile import tho, which is capped at 33p or what ever the current cap is. Also has the lowest standing charge I could find of 20p a day. Going to make sure my battery is full for 16:30, even if I have to pay the grid to do it!

Reactions: TNA
Yes, those are some nice-looking export prices coming up, half an hour at £1.09 and then another hour or two up in the 80's, pretty good solar forecast as well, so hopefully the battery will just need a little top-up to reach 100% this afternoon and can then blast the grid with power!

Glorious sunshine where I am at right now, battery will be full again before long and I'll be sticking some spare kWh into the water, and possibly even the car if it keeps going like this! :)

Just want to check that these numbers look correct to all the experts on here...

System
22x 395W JA Solar Panels installed
Sunsynk 8kW Hybrid Inverter
2 x5.2kWh Sunsynk Batteries

House is South West facing in Edinburgh. I was away when it was fitted so did not have the chance to speak to the installers but set up on the app and in the last few days (appreciate that the weather has not been great) but not yet generated 1kwh per. Does that sound correct? Quite sunny today and currently at 0.3 kwh - Am i missing something here?

No shading at all, I don't expect to generate that much in the winter months but was expecting a bit more.

Is there a forum or web page you can view data from other systems?

Last edited:
I have the app says - 52W from Solar - 64W from Grid - House using 85w - Battery 100% 17w

Screenshot_2022-11-28_12-35-49-971.png

Last edited:
It is pretty cack this time of year but to give you an idea on Friday I generated 6.5kwh on 12 panels, and I get shading this time of year until about 10:30am, plus the panel are a bit east facing from south.

So that doesn't sound right.

Back
Top Bottom