Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Nope not yet, still borked as you're missing from the live view.

Actually FF and Redfist both having great days today, my generation definitely ticks in later. My west facing roof probably shades the south facing ones at an angle until later in the morning so my peak generation seems to be after 11AM currently.
Weird - only other change I've made is moving to 1 hour automations vs 15 mins - have set it back and manually run the automation, so will check if this works.

Ah actually, I know what it was now - I vaguely recall that you had to set the frequency on PV output side, so this was 15 mins on both when I set up, but my change yesterday in HA would mean I'd have hourly data going to an API expecting 15 mins.

Have changed back, so fingers crossed resolved now!

Also givenergy package.

10 x 405w Longi Solar Panels
1 x GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter
1 x 9.5kW GivEnergy Li-Ion Battery
1 x MCS Certification & HIES Ins
1 x Installation & Commissioning
£10,495

Dont really have shading but house roof faces slightly North east/South west. Other houses with similar position round here seem to have 10 on the southwest side and 6/8 panels on the other side to catch the morning sun.
All three quotes look good compared to what some have been posting, but they may well have had more panels which would soon add up at £300 per panel. Additional panels on the SolarEdge system would also require an optimiser, so additional panels should be cheaper or more expensive depending on the system.

Just received a quote from Eco Renewables Group Limited. About £3000 less than Octopus for pretty much the same system
1f62e.png

She said I don't need G99 approval because the PV is rated at 4.9kW. Is that correct because I have a funny feeling it isn't?

(Dunno why she put Pylontech in the quote because she said it's a GivEnergy Gen 2 on the phone)

12 x 410w Black Panels
1 x Givenergy Inverter 5kW (Gen 1)
1 x 9.5kw Pylontech Battery (9.5kw)
1 x Cables, conduit, isolators
1 x HIES insurance backed warranty
1 x MCS sign off
1 x Installation
1 x Scaffolding

TOTAL - £11,095 Fitted

It's about £4500 to add another 9.5kWh GivEnergy battery.

Last edited:
Getting the basics wrong like that just sets alarm bells off in my head.

A lot of places are recruiting too fast, so the training could be poor or rushed, not an excuse either just an observation.

I've spoken with a few places on behalf of relatives, friends, and friends-of-friends to help them on their solar/renewables journey, and some of the utter tripe that is peddled is ridiculous given you are already interested, or you wouldn't be making contact, it is like they go out of their way to put you off.

Please do, yeah Givenergy here :)

Your stats not submitting today via HA Katie!

Freefaller is hacking. Actually must be South East/South ish because his production is very high for this time of day.

Yes I hacked the sun :D

1670517717861.png

This is "due south" in google maps - so I am ever so slightly rotated east, but by a fraction - maybe 178 degrees?​
Jsut over 14kWh of hacking today, maybe I need to make it less obvious?! :D :D :D
1670518259173.png

Last edited:
Also givenergy package.

10 x 405w Longi Solar Panels
1 x GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter
1 x 9.5kW GivEnergy Li-Ion Battery
1 x MCS Certification & HIES Ins
1 x Installation & Commissioning
£10,495

Dont really have shading but house roof faces slightly North east/South west. Other houses with similar position round here seem to have 10 on the southwest side and 6/8 panels on the other side to catch the morning sun.

Just received a quote from Eco Renewables Group Limited. About £3000 less than Octopus for pretty much the same system
1f62e.png

She said I don't need G99 approval because the PV is rated at 4.9kW. Is that correct because I have a funny feeling it isn't?

(Dunno why she put Pylontech in the quote because she said it's a GivEnergy Gen 2 on the phone)

12 x 410w Black Panels
1 x Givenergy Inverter 5kW (Gen 1)
1 x 9.5kw Pylontech Battery (9.5kw)
1 x Cables, conduit, isolators
1 x HIES insurance backed warranty
1 x MCS sign off
1 x Installation
1 x Scaffolding

TOTAL - £11,095 Fitted

It's about £4500 to add another 9.5kWh GivEnergy battery.

Those both seem like really good quotes considering the current prices. If you can wait for the Gen 2 inverters it might be worth asking - it depends on the delivery dates really.

Yep you and Redfist clearly win today, it was interesting seeing how far ahead of me you both went early on, I think this is partially because my south facing panels really don't get to work properly with this low sun outside of 10:30 - 14:00 ish and partially because the west facing panels just get way less sunlight and much weaker sun later on.

In fact you can see this really clearly here, this is an 08:00 - 16:00 shift today, almost unbroken sun all day but "string 2" which is my south facing panels are doing all of the heavy lifting.

KRccqpI.png

My peak production combined was around 13:00 for 2.1kw or so. It's actually mad how much more my 6 South facing panels do vs my 7 West facing ones.

Those both seem like really good quotes considering the current prices. If you can wait for the Gen 2 inverters it might be worth asking - it depends on the delivery dates really.

I tried to quickly find out what benefit the Gen 2 inverter gives but failed. Are you able to summarise it please?

Thanks very much. I guess it’s one of those things where they give an ETA of Feb/March and then it potentially keeps slipping.

Gen 2s are hard to get at the moment but if the delivery aligns with installation dates then go for it. Alternatively pay for a gen 2, but get a gen 1 fitted and get them to replace it in due course? Gen 1 is fine, it's what I and others have, but the gen 2 is a better if the timings and availability work out.

Thanks very much. I guess it’s one of those things where they give an ETA of Feb/March and then it potentially keeps slipping.
Yes, the extra kW is pretty big - if you think in terms of your battery size (I've got 19.5kwh), so the max a gen 1 could fill up is 2.6 x 4hrs for, say, Octopus Go - so 10.4kwh per night. With gen 2 @ 3.6kw, that becomes 14.4kwh.

If you then work out how much that adds up to as a difference over the year, it's not insignificant! (ie around £440 a year saving)

Gen 2s are hard to get at the moment but if the delivery aligns with installation dates then go for it. Alternatively pay for a gen 2, but get a gen 1 fitted and get them to replace it in due course? Gen 1 is fine, it's what I and others have, but the gen 2 is a better if the timings and availability work out.

Not particularly hopeful on g2. Now being told earleirst delivery is Feb so expect it will be more like April.

Back
Top Bottom