Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Now been told givenergy g2 kit been delayed til end of March... zero comms from manufacturer too.

May look at taking up the growatt kit now...
Was told by Givenergy Technical Director today that any orders already placed would be arriving at the end of January - all others end of March.
So it will depend when/if your installer has placed an order/deposit with their supplier.

Was told by Givenergy Technical Director today that any orders already placed would be arriving at the end of January - all others end of March.
So it will depend when/if your installer has placed an order/deposit with their supplier.

Placed order end of Sept. Dates are constantly moving told early Jan, then Feb and now March. Its not only myself, others are saying they've been told the same thing. As giv don't supply directly I'm guessing they will just pass the buck to the distributors

Really hope what you say is true but not holding my breath...

Last edited:
Yep. March is when it starts getting really good again. Fortunately there’s only three bad months a year.
Presumably this is Nov-Jan so around the solstice?

I’ve only had solar for 2 years but Feb & Nov were about the same last year whereas this year Feb was almost 50% better.

Last edited:
True, can’t wait to see the graphs getting better day/day. Although probably not until March from what I expect
Historically December is my worst month, January is usually a lot better, but a little worse than November.
I'm in Cyprus at the moment and just jealous of the sunshine here in the middle of winter!
Are there many solar installs though? When I was in the Canaries last month, there were some solar installs, but not many.

Historically December is my worst month, January is usually a lot better, but a little worse than November.

Are there many solar installs though? When I was in the Canaries last month, there were some solar installs, but not many.

No. It's complicated. Energy company monopoly and political agendas. Though they've had water solar for several a decades.

I'm not a huge fan of the SolaX app so i've been playing around with a raspberryPi zero to pull stats down every 5min, log them in a database and then combine in a pretty basic javascript page (heavy lifting on the client side):

Top bar is the reload timer, SolaX apis only update every 5min which is annoying, apparently theres a way to get a direct line to the inverter so that may be a next step...
Icons are current mains drain (daily total isn't accurate so zero at the moment), battery % and drain/charge, Solar Power current and total (when the login turns up) and current weather (need the wind gusts for chicken's cover which needs taking down over 40mph)
1st graph (with historic date selector) shows Green is battery usage, light blue area is battery %, orange grid usage, red battery charging (from grid/solar), yellow daylight hours & blue line cloud cover %.
Under that is hourly weather for the day, 2nd graph tomorrows cloud cover & tomorrows weather:

9HRNUgP.png

Next job is to add historic power usage from bright / glowmarkt but its lags by about 14hrs :(

Last edited:
You can get a second inverter like I am to take it up to 7.2kw per hour.

Can you provide any more info on how two inverters work together? I’ve been struggling to find any info on this.

If I don’t have enough solar being produced to meet my demand, how does one battery/inverter take precedence over the other, rather than both trying to jump in? Same at the point of excess solar production, how do they decide which to charge? Can you somehow divide this so they’re split evenly?

Can you provide any more info on how two inverters work together? I’ve been struggling to find any info on this.

If I don’t have enough solar being produced to meet my demand, how does one battery/inverter take precedence over the other, rather than both trying to jump in? Same at the point of excess solar production, how do they decide which to charge? Can you somehow divide this so they’re split evenly?
There's imminently a cheap EMS device coming out that you'll sit ahead of both inverters to allow them to be treated 'as one', otherwise you simply have two plants (eg one charging one battery and another charging the next).

If you post a question in the Givenergy forum then there's a really helpful guy called Tim who will answer any questions - he's had this setup for some time.

Back
Top Bottom