Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Yeah, they said they'd replace the tigos first off, the the engineer said that's a dumb idea, as will just fail again. So luckily he seems to be decent and agrees with me.

Yeah, solaredge seems to be the current good stuff. Massive project at work and that's all solaredge.

Yes, need to look at the monitoring side of things, but I'm not sure what model inverter in getting, or whether that will make a difference.
A real quick look the other day, says their inverters Inc some monitoring cloud stuff....

Why do you think all the Tigos failed?
I note they all come with bright yellow tags you have to cut with very clear instructions that you must connect them in a given order or they may be damaged (panel first or supply first, can’t recall which!)

I think you can monitor those per panel potentially

Yes you can, I had mine installed back in December 2015, and that information is still there, even from all those years ago.
A real quick look the other day, says their inverters Inc some monitoring cloud stuff....

That's a really good result, SolarEdge is rather expensive nowadays. Your installer will setup an account for you, make sure they give you sufficient access rights so that you have the Admin tab (I had to get this added recently), you can then activate the API and get automatic updates to PV Output. The apps also pretty good, and has various widgets.

When they fit the optimisers they should record the serial numbers (they should know this anyway), these can then be used to create a layout, so I can even see how much power each panel has generated.

Here's a per panel graph I did the other day

Solar-Edge-Panels-2023-01-20.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you can, I had mine installed back in December 2015, and that information is still there, even from all those years ago.

That's a really good result, SolarEdge is rather expensive nowadays. Your installer will setup an account for you, make sure they give you sufficient access rights so that you have the Admin tab (I had to get this added recently), you can then activate the API and get automatic updates to PV Output. The apps also pretty good, and has various widgets.

When they fit the optimisers they should record the serial numbers (they should know this anyway), these can then be used to create a layout, so I can even see how much power each panel has generated.

Here's a per panel graph I did the other day

Solar-Edge-Panels-2023-01-20.jpg
How did you get that graph? I have Solaredge as well but can’t find this on any screens?

Been watching this thread with much interest. I'm thinking of having solar panels and a battery installed. Couple of things though, my roof orientation is east/west facing, but thankfully the only shading I would have would be from the chimney on the roof and that would be marginal at best.
Just started reaching out for a couple of quotes, but my energy usage is fairly high (approx 4,300kwh per year) and I have an EV on order, plus my heating/hot water is gas from a back boiler (been told to not change it until it fails by my gas engineer), so would be looking at using any excess solar generation to heat the hot water tank.
I'm based in the Midlands, what sort of prices do you think I should be expecting?

Cheers

Been watching this thread with much interest. I'm thinking of having solar panels and a battery installed. Couple of things though, my roof orientation is east/west facing, but thankfully the only shading I would have would be from the chimney on the roof and that would be marginal at best.
Just started reaching out for a couple of quotes, but my energy usage is fairly high (approx 4,300kwh per year) and I have an EV on order, plus my heating/hot water is gas from a back boiler (been told to not change it until it fails by my gas engineer), so would be looking at using any excess solar generation to heat the hot water tank.
I'm based in the Midlands, what sort of prices do you think I should be expecting?

Cheers

I would go both sides but unequal to push a bit more west than east.
If you went say 16 panels your around 6.5kw production peak. But you wont see that since your split.
I would go 10 west 6 east so you have a higher load of generation into the evening, when typically people use more.

That should generate you around 4000kwh annually. But 80% will be March-Sept, give or take.
Batteries around 10kwh of storage should see you near enough zero from grid in the Mar-Sept window.

Oct-Feb will be more intermittent you will rely on the batteries more so an off peak tariff may work to charge them up on cheap overnight, best is Octopus go.

You would be looking 16k for a reasonable quote on that, plus a diverter IMO. Less might be possible depending how many installers you try and some luck. Above 16 would be heading into expensive.
Assume another £250 per panel on top of above to cover the panel plus extras needed as your array sizes up.

Don't forget bird netting!

I'm expecting you'd want two strings - one on each roof. I'd guess £18-20k. Dependant on battery size.
Is there any benefit of having a battery instead of just trickling it down back to the supplier and getting your bills reduced through there?

whats the benefit of storing your own electricity vs feeding it back to the grid and getting potentially massive discounts or credit even?

Cheers for the feedback, I was wondering what split across the roof to do, so thanks for the information.
I'm sometimes not at home during the week, but my wife finishes for around half four, so splitting the panels the suggested way, would mean that she would get most benefit in the evening.
I'm waiting on a couple of companies to get back to me.

Plus in winter months being able to buy cheap offpeak and use them during the day

And if you want to pony up the extra you can give your self off grid capability.
So long as I have charge in my batteries they will kick in in a blackout
Going back to the savings sessions, the rewards for the last two events might not be as productive as first thought.
It seems the in day adjustment is also an average of the last 10 days, with 3'events in 7 days, the last two might be adversely affected.

Going back to the savings sessions, the rewards for the last two events might not be as productive as first thought.
It seems the in day adjustment is also an average of the last 10 days, with 3'events in 7 days, the last two might be adversely affected.

I believe the last 10 days excludes any savings sessions days from when I read the rules.
Although that was in regards the main session window rather than the in day adjustment.

IIRC last 10 for a weekday is last 10 weekdays excl any other sessions and bank hols

I believe the last 10 days excludes any savings sessions days from when I read the rules.
Although that was in regards the main session window rather than the in day adjustment.

IIRC last 10 for a weekday is last 10 weekdays excl any other sessions and bank hols
I'm just reading the last part of the table on the download page 29 - it says average in-day adjustment between E-4 and E-1"

Back
Top Bottom