Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

By the way, for those on Octopus GO with PV (without FIT), British Gas are now offering 6.4p kwh on their SEG tariff with no need to also be supplied by them. Beats Octopus' 4.1p and gets closer to parity with their 7.5p GO rate if you're lucky enough to still be on that rate alongside me. https://www.britishgas.co.uk/business/help-and-support/billing-and-payments/smart-export-guarantee
I think its a no-brainer to switch the export unless you plan to move to Agile in the spring/summer. I'll have had my EV delivered by then so expect to stay on GO.
that rate is pretty low compared to the octopus outgoing is 15p, yes you need to be suppled by them to get it. But in all 6.4p out when your paying 33p in...is a bit cack

that rate is pretty low compared to the octopus outgoing is 15p, yes you need to be suppled by them to get it. But in all 6.4p out when your paying 33p in...is a bit cack
You're paying 7.5p in on GO, and getting 6.4p out with BG.
The 15p on Agile Outgoing (fixed) is irrelevant because you can't get it and be on GO.

Last edited:
You're paying 7.5p in on GO, and getting 6.4p out with BG.
The 15p on Agile Outgoing (fixed) is irrelevant because you can't get it and be on GO.
im not on GO......im on Octopus Outgoing fixed at 15p, i dont require GO as i have no batteries and no EV. Also during night time use, i use less than 1kwh of juice, so switching to GO would be irrelevant

Last edited:
I was considering the BG one, but I will export so few units that I am not sure its worth it (solar diverter should use up most that battery isn't harvesting)
Was also considering how long will BG take to actually action it, where as Octopus you would imagine would be quite quick
octopus had me hooked up as i was duel fuel within 24hrs for my export once i gave the MPAN number for my system.....BG probably take a month or even more going on comments from Duel fuel BG users in other forums. I dont trust BG one bit

octopus had me hooked up as i was duel fuel within 24hrs for my export once i gave the MPAN number for my system.....BG probably take a month or even more going on comments from Duel fuel BG users in other forums. I dont trust BG one bit

Cheers thats pretty much my logic.
I got my MPAN a week or so ago but haven't quite decided which way to go with it.

Only thing that held me off is that right now Octopus don't know if I have solar/batteries or not.
At some point in the future that could be an advantage that they do not know. If it became something I wanted them to know I could tell them, but I cant un-tell them once they know, if that makes sense.

We have a hybrid which we don't charge from the grid, but I could use that for example to go onto a beneficial scheme unless it needed handshaking such as intelligent.

Clear skies for the last week or so, new inverter installed cloudy! Typical! some reason the new inverter wasn't discharging from the battery, managed to get it going but not sure what setting I changed to do it as couldn't see anything different in the portal.

Cheers thats pretty much my logic.
I got my MPAN a week or so ago but haven't quite decided which way to go with it.

Only thing that held me off is that right now Octopus don't know if I have solar/batteries or not.
At some point in the future that could be an advantage that they do not know. If it became something I wanted them to know I could tell them, but I cant un-tell them once they know, if that makes sense.

We have a hybrid which we don't charge from the grid, but I could use that for example to go onto a beneficial scheme unless it needed handshaking such as intelligent.

Why could it be an advantage?? also your losing a bit on export if you got your mpan, but not using it....even if yo go with octopus outgoing fixed @15p, you can change easy in the future without issues with octopus.
Pretty sure octopus couldnt care less if people have solar/batteries or not tbh. But what it does do, is help them buy green energy from its customers to pass on, instead of gas produced electric instead.

Last edited:
Why could it be an advantage?? also your losing a bit on export if you got your mpan, but not using it....even if yo go with octopus outgoing fixed @15p, you can change easy in the future without issues with octopus.
Pretty sure octopus couldnt care less if people have solar/batteries or not tbh. But what it does do, is help them buy green energy from its customers to pass on, instead of gas produced electric instead.

I'm on go, I've got batteries so go is pretty much a no brainer.
Whilst go was aimed at EVs it was moved to for many with solar/batteries.

There is always a change they ask for proof of an Ev, if you have already told them you have solar/batteries and they want to reduce the cost of go, they already have a list of the ones to target first.
Those who have a usage profile that doesn't seem to match EV ownership.

There has been talk of whether go is subsidised by manufacturers for years. Also the newer tariffs are move gatekept which would seem to indicate that there must be a reason.

Like I said there are scenarios where them being aware could work against you, but if it was ever beneficial for them to know you had it, I could advise them.

Had a "fun" little development with Octopus, I switched to Economy 7 for overnight charging, requested the change months back and after lots of messing around they finally switched me over on the 31st of December. Then a few days ago I got an updated electricity bill where they had gone back and modified my charges over previous months, using the Economy 7 rate! Obviously, because I was not actually on Economy 7 over that period I was not optimizing my usage, so my bill has jumped by about £30!

Annoying. Have contacted them, so hopefully this is just an error on their part that can be resolved.

Scaffolding up this morning, panels just arrived 30 mins after the scaffolders disappeared and installer coming tomorrow! All coming together!

Unfortunately I have just seen the scaffolders have put a leg on the neighbours front lawn, hopefully he doesn’t lose his rag! Might have to buy some apology beers.

By the way, for those on Octopus GO with PV (without FIT), British Gas are now offering 6.4p kwh on their SEG tariff with no need to also be supplied by them. Beats Octopus' 4.1p and gets closer to parity with their 7.5p GO rate if you're lucky enough to still be on that rate alongside me. https://www.britishgas.co.uk/business/help-and-support/billing-and-payments/smart-export-guarantee
I think its a no-brainer to switch the export unless you plan to move to Agile in the spring/summer. I'll have had my EV delivered by then so expect to stay on GO.

I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, sure it's a bit more, but at least now all my utility stuff is in one place and works well.

if I move SEG to BG and then Octopus match it or improve, then I have to shift back, so I'll just wait and see what Octopus do, if anything!

Scaffolding up this morning, panels just arrived 30 mins after the scaffolders disappeared and installer coming tomorrow! All coming together!

Unfortunately I have just seen the scaffolders have put a leg on the neighbours front lawn, hopefully he doesn’t lose his rag! Might have to buy some apology beers.

Oof yeah not ideal, best to contact them and see if they'll live with it, scaffold shouldn't be up long but they don't necessarily take it down day 1 either, mine was a week or two.

Just pop over to him proactively and just let him know rather than let him find out.

Yeah I sent him a message with a picture and an apology, offered some apology beverages and of course to sort the grass if it causes any damage - he seems fine with it thankfully.

Last edited:
Yeah I sent him a message with a picture and an apology, offered some apology beverages and of course to sort the grass if it causes any damage - he seems fine with it thankfully.

In contrast to my neighbour where I've had to drop 2 pannels from my install due to the state of his chimney breast so needs access to repair. Wouldn't mind but pointed it out 4 months ago to him...

Finally confirmed (over the phone) that project solar UK are coming to remove all my tigos, replace with solaedge optimisers and a new solaedge inverter, bargain!
It has cost me £325 call out fee.
Lots of terrible communication, wasted time off work when the guys couldn't go up the roof due to no scaffolding.
But with the new kit, it makes that much easier to swallow.

Finally confirmed (over the phone) that project solar UK are coming to remove all my tigos, replace with solaedge optimisers and a new solaedge inverter, bargain!
It has cost me £325 call out fee.
Lots of terrible communication, wasted time off work when the guys couldn't go up the roof due to no scaffolding.
But with the new kit, it makes that much easier to swallow.

Decent result, the SolarEdge stuff is meant to be good as well, so at least that's something. I think you can monitor those per panel potentially?

Back
Top Bottom