Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

It would take me 10 days to use that much energy….ever thought of lowering your consumption in the first place, so there is less pressure on the grid without the saving sessions???
It's usually in the off peak times and then runs the rest from the batteries in the peak periods so I am actually doing my bit.

Last edited:
I try and be careful as in only on an 80 Amp fuse so max really is 18.44kWh assuming 230v
I tend to be around similar figures to you and aim for around an average of 16kWh.
I have been higher than I should originally but I was monitoring it and didn't want to blow the fuse!

No idea how big my fuse is. I'd be very popular if I blew it!

It's usually in the off peak times and then runs the rest from the batteries in the peak periods so I am actually doing my bit.
So on a normal day, you use 48kwhs of power to run your house???
which Obviously isnt true is it…so in essence you are gaming the system, as you would normally be using solar and batteries

Over the last month i've averaged 28 a day and over the last week i've averaged 32.

48 is entirely possible. 2 EV cars will do that before you even consider battery charging.
28kwhs a day? on what??.....but you use solar, s its not from the grid is it. the saving seesions are designed to shift power user from peak time grid use. you and @94JDH dont use the grid, you use solar and batteries

So on a normal day, you use 48kwhs of power to run your house???
which Obviously isnt true is it…so in essence you are gaming the system, as you would normally be using solar and batteries
Considering I clock over 20k per year in my EV you'd be surprised and just because you don't doesn't mean others do.

Considering I clock over 20k per year in my EV you'd be surprised and just because you don't doesn't mean others do.
but how much grid charging at home ??? or solar etc etc its not all grid power and your switching you use onto the grid off solar/batteries. so the opposite of what the sessions are designed for.

28kwhs a day? on what??.....but you use solar, s its not from the grid is it. the saving seesions are designed to shift power user from peak time grid use. you and @94JDH dont use the grid, you use solar and batteries
And how much solar generation do you think I generate this time of the year? Where does the 19kWh batteries charge from if not, the Grid. How does my underfloor electric heating run in the early hours - again from the Grid.

Edit: the batteries are fully cycled everyday

Last edited:

I'm not sure if you're being serious? You've got low usage, that's great. Other people will have different levels of usage that fits with their lifestyle.

And how much solar generation do you think I generate this time of the year? Where does the 19kWh batteries charge from if not, the Grid. How does my underfloor electric heating run in the early hours - again from the Grid.

Edit: the batteries are fully cycled everyday

Solar energy - im producing 100kwh on a small system, im betting yuor is bigger and you storing it in batteries for later use
Batteries - Probably on Octopus Go so cheap off peak energy @7.5p
Underfloor heating - you said you have gas c/h but your using the underfloor heating to use grid during the 3hr window, to change your bottom line and maximise money earned in the window

But hey, this is just my opinion, the sessions aren't designed for people to add use to the grid, but to take power away, by switching to other times or powering off. I honestly think and yuo do to, that you are gaming the system some what to your advantage.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're being serious? You've got low usage, that's great. Other people will have different levels of usage that fits with their lifestyle.
i agree people will have different levels of usage, but many would spread it through the day and not pump it out of the system for 3hrs before an energy saving window. Its a saving session, not a moving session....

but thats just my opinion. Thanks

but how much grid charging at home ??? or solar etc etc its not all grid power and your switching you use onto the grid off solar/batteries. so the opposite of what the sessions are designed for.
The savings sessions are designed so to move power away that period which we are doing. What power I use would be used during the day so it's just a load shift.
I charge the batteries to full each day (19kWh), without car charging (average 20kWh) underfloor heating etc - it's not difficult.

The savings sessions are designed so to move power away that period which we are doing. What power I use would be used during the day so it's just a load shift.
I charge the batteries to full each day (19kWh), without car charging (average 20kWh) underfloor heating etc - it's not difficult.
to be fair, what yuor doing is using the grid, when normally you wouldn't be....in your own words " using underfloor heating instead of using the gas". Also your power usage is already spread out and not condensed into a normal 1hr window. So again, its about switching what you would normally use in that window, not flooding the grid by adding more usage when you wouldn't be normally.

But again, thats my opinion. Yours is different, so enjoy your day.

Solar energy - im producing 100kwh on a small system, im betting yuor is bigger and you storing it in batteries for later use
Batteries - Probably on Octopus Go so cheap off peak energy @7.5p
Underfloor heating - you said you have gas c/h but your using the underfloor heating to use grid during the 3hr window, to change your bottom line and maximise money earned in the window

But hey, this is just my opinion, the sessions aren't designed for people to add use to the grid, but to take power away, by switching to other times or powering off. I honestly think and yuo do to, that you are gaming the system some what to your advantage.
7kw flat roof system East/West at 10 degrees currently generates 3 to 6kWh per day.
Gas central heating yes, but always run the underfloor heating for the Go period and some of it off batteries on the evening.
Gas central heating for short bursts at other times and hot water.
If shifting this about generates a return who am I to argue I didn't set the rules.

7kw flat roof system East/West at 10 degrees currently generates 3 to 6kWh per day.
1. Gas central heating yes, but always run the underfloor heating for the Go period and some of it off batteries on the evening.
2. Gas central heating for short bursts at other times and hot water.
If shifting this about generates a return who am I to argue I didn't set the rules.

1. You normally already use cheap rates of electric in OFF PEAK times to run the heating, so gaming the system to make money
2. So again using gas for hot water, but for the sessions your using electric you wouldn't normally use, so gaming the system to make money

Your not shifting it about, your using what you wouldn't normally use......

I sit somewhere between the arguments here, but TBH the levels of corruption that have been going on recently I dont hold any negative views on playing within the rules.
Frankly its the rules that are wrong not people playing with them.

The NG used an existing formula for this and that's what happens when you don't think something through.
I honestly expect if this is repeated next year (can't see why it wouldn't) there will be an adjustment to the in day calculation. A simple cap (eg 200% of the actual savings in the main session window) would avoid excessive in day usage, and actually filter out people like me who have no usage in the target window.
I would hope that they can simultaneously get their brains in gear that people with batteries can do much more. Pay me £1+ a unit and I would be happy to dump my battery to the grid during the savings session, in fact it should be basically a daily event for the peak times.
SEG should be set to a rate that is attractive for people sitting on large amounts of home storage.

Anyway its done now, just DW and battery charging for me in in day window today. And yes shifted from Go time to 5-8am.

Back
Top Bottom