Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

People (including politicians) are gaming all sorts of systems, in all walks of life, it doesn't mean it's morally right, but it isn't breaking any laws.. We are paid peanuts for what we export so once my system is up and running I'll be doing the same, and I will have 28kWh of storage and an inverter which can charge at 8kw :D
What you getting for export ron??

People (including politicians) are gaming all sorts of systems, in all walks of life, it doesn't mean it's morally right, but it isn't breaking any laws.. We are paid peanuts for what we export so once my system is up and running I'll be doing the same, and I will have 28kWh of storage and an inverter which can charge at 8kw :D

I agree - but it's pretty disingenuous and to me feels like it is not incentivising the right way in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I don't mind bending the rules, but it's just that it feels a little bit feeble as a way of making a difference.

This is very true, though not sure the politician model is the one I want to live by! :D

I agree - but it's pretty disingenuous and to me feels like it is not incentivising the right way in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I don't mind bending the rules, but it's just that it feels a little bit feeble as a way of making a difference.

The problem is the way the formula works, you will earn money by burning energy for no purpose at all, you could use it for anything and gain cash.

This just encourages general wastefulness in my opinion.

That's why I will try and use any extra I use for something I need to use at some point anyway.

Saying all of this I don't want to be too judgemental, because I will be changing habits to take some advantage myself, so I don't wish to create a double standard. People can ultimately choose how they want to approach this situation.

I want the figures for the latest session as well because it's not clear how the 6 odd kWh I used for 24/01 will impact the octopoints yet.

That's why I will try and use any extra I use for something I need to use at some point anyway.
That's how i've done it. I could have turned my hob on and just boiled water for 3 hours. Turned the AC on full blast but I didn't. I only used electric for something that was needed. I just shifted it all into a tiny window.

That's how i've done it. I could have turned my hob on and just boiled water for 3 hours. Turned the AC on full blast but I didn't. I only used electric for something that was needed. I just shifted it all into a tiny window.

I'd probably debate the need to run pyrolytic cleaning cycles on your ovens however! :cry:

Mine also has this function, it's awesome, but it's extremely power hungry, a few kWh at least by itself.

Last edited:
I'd probably debate the need to run pyrolytic cleaning cycles on your ovens however! :cry:

Mine also has this function, it's awesome, but it's extremely power hungry, a few kWh at least by itself.

The 2nd one maybe....I only put that on a medium setting and I could have set it to high. It was quite clean though. The main oven was filthy.

2nd oven before and after. The main was still locked when I left as it was too hot to open. Exciting update later when i'm home. Ha

I probably need to do mine at some point, last time I ran it I aligned it with a nice solar day I think so it ran for free (was probably in October).

Also stinks the house out, have to shut the door and open the windows. Not sure I'd want it zooming along at 5AM unattended!

Last edited:
The 2nd one maybe....I only put that on a medium setting and I could have set it to high. It was quite clean though. The main oven was filthy.

2nd oven before and after. The main was still locked when I left as it was too hot to open. Exciting update later when i'm home. Ha

BUT....by shifting it too a small window of grid use, when if you had spread it through the day, some or even most may have been covered by solar...so grid wouldn't been used as much anyway.

Anyone know how to force a Zappi to only take energy from the grid or Solar and not batteries with Givenergy or can it only be done by limiting the battery output down?

I probably need to do mine at some point, last time I ran it I aligned it with a nice solar day I think so it ran for free (was probably in October).

Also stinks the house out, have to shut the door and open the windows. Not sure I'd want it zooming along at 5AM unattended!

Yeah. I had to open the windows. So I've woken the wife up and stunk the house out. "is this really worth it for 50p" I'm not very popular right now. Ha. Agree, i'd not leave them doing it unattended.

What you getting for export ron??
From memory I thinks it 5.5p 50% deemed export, so I get paid for 50% of what the FITS system generates, and over the year we do export about half. Of course that will change once the new system comes online. I'll have to review my options then depending on how much we export through out the year.
Had to be done…

<Snip>

Solar panels going up today. It’s sunny, so they better hurry up!

That looks so much better, that space was made for it.

Back
Top Bottom