Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

So I was looking for up to date info on where our electricity comes from

saw this https://www.energydashboard.co.uk/live

Typically we are now getting close to 50% from wind turbines, about 25% from gas and 17% from nuclear which includes the 4 cables from Europe all of which are from Nuclear sources.

Solar is lost in the "also rans" somewhere. Typically an offshore turbine will generate an average of 32% of its stated capacity. We have had a few days where no gas has been used because conditions have been really good for wind turbines.

A massive expansion of our wind turbines is what we absolutely need and the ROI was good pre-pandemic when contracts were being agreed at 5p/kw. (Hinkley Point C has a contract agreeing 9.5p/kw and there were lots of complaints that this as excessive 3 years ago). With our friend in the Kremlin enjoying huge increases in his income due to the price of gas, every single new wind turbine has a double benefit for the planet. Environment and Putin.

Gas at about 25% of the mix produces 75% of the carbon emissions, so one cannot say using gas and electrcity is the same.

You can indeed shop about, but I just stick with Octopus and hope one day they improve the rates.

I don't want the headaches of another supplier, and by all accounts, some of them are incredibly slow at accepting SEG applications.
and I went with Octopus as I plan on moving over to them come April for the Agile tarriff, although i'll no doubt need a new meter as mine is a dumb smart meter currently.

Was that when octopus took over? I'm currently with sainsburys which I suspect could be the issue as it isn't in their interest to sort it out with a fixed flat rate.

I still have a SMETS1 meter, I'd like to have an Eco 7 SMETS2 fitted but apparently there's no appetite to do it these days.

Ah well, my export meter and normal meter are sending the 30 minute readings, but for some reason things aren't synchronised all the time as I go onto my account and it can't always tell me my usage. Meh, as long as I'm being charged correctly that's all I care about at the moment.

Very tempted to switch over to the tracker tariff having looked at it, with solar and batteries it could be quite impactful.

I still have a SMETS1 meter, I'd like to have an Eco 7 SMETS2 fitted but apparently there's no appetite to do it these days.

Ah well, my export meter and normal meter are sending the 30 minute readings, but for some reason things aren't synchronised all the time as I go onto my account and it can't always tell me my usage. Meh, as long as I'm being charged correctly that's all I care about at the moment.

Very tempted to switch over to the tracker tariff having looked at it, with solar and batteries it could be quite impactful.

Smart data appearing in Octopus is about a day behind, but the charts sometimes say they don't have data based on weird date things.

In general it will all show up after a day.

Wasn't sure really - just thought SMETS1 was old tech now. :) Not really looked into it.
We opted to have a smart meter installed in 2014 when first offered. It was free, so why not? The smart element died in less than 2 years and meter readings went back to normal. 18 months ago when we had a load of changes, I looked at getting a new one. Yes I could have one but would have to pay. "How much?" I asked. £300-£400. How long until it will be replaced anyway was the next question. Not until it is 10 years old came the answer. From memory the old meters with dials were good for 25 years. Smart meters, smart motorways, and smart phones. The only smart thing about them all are the people who persuaded us all to get them.

I have one and use as it reads 1/2 hourly I can go onto any tarrif there is. Think they would only be replaced now is if they didn’t work or can’t provide the readings.

Back
Top Bottom