Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Equipment Costs
8x Eurener 415W all black MEPV108 solar PV panels £1,801.87
See this is what bothers me they are already ripping you off with the panel costs and that is the first item on your list. The Eurener 410w all-blacks panels are only £148 (ex VAT) each, so 8 would cost £1184, and that is at retail pricing not trade, and the inverter is only £950 (ex VAT). Ye they still want to charge you nearly £3k for the install work, as well as making huge margins on the parts.

Regarding only fitting 8 panels, are you restricted by height and width, or just one of them? You could perhaps fit larger higher wattage panels if you have some give in one of the dimensions, as those panels tends to be 2-2.2m x 1.1-1.3m instead of 1.6-1.75m x 1.1m. You'd be looking at 500w+ panels up to 670w depending on availably and the use of a compatible inverter.

It’s not just the panels, there is some serious mark up throughout, even down to the low cost components that anyone can buy anywhere and are not subject to extreme supply shortages. Pretty sure an AC isolator is only about £15 at retail and quoting for an entire 50m real of cable for an 8 panel system seems like a lot and should also only cost about £50 inc VAT…

£3.79 for a label sheet :cry:

Last edited:
We've just had 17 panels over two roofs and two separate scaffold platforms. 3.6kW hybrid inverter and 5.12kWh battery for under £13k.
That wasn't the cheapest quote either.

Finally have access to my Solar Edge account, after 38 minutes on the phone to them, no admin tab, so need to chase for that now! This company is just so useless!!

What is your community name on PVoutput? I can enter manually for now.

Last edited:
@Ron-ski used your link to the PV output page, clicked 'join' assume someone has to 'ok' it?
You have a star next to your name, so you must be important and can do that kind of thing :D

@Ron-ski used your link to the PV output page, clicked 'join' assume someone has to 'ok' it?
You have a star next to your name, so you must be important and can do that kind of thing :D
I'm not important, just means I made a donation. I don't think anyone has to ok it, as you've probably noticed it's a bit of a weird site, and seems to take a while for some things to filter through. Not sure if there is an activation email, can't remember.

Is there a community shared scheme for solar panel energy generation. I think someone mentioned it before but I can't find their post(or mine). The school opposite me has about 100 panels and I presume no one uses the energy they create in the school summer holidays.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not important, just means I made a donation. I don't think anyone has to ok it, as you've probably noticed it's a bit of a weird site, and seems to take a while for some things to filter through. Not sure if there is an activation email, can't remember.
Just read it means you donated.
Ill give it some time and see what happens.

It's an interesting proposition - but it would be an interesting thing to see how it could work in an equitable way - not sure how you could share the energy evenly, especially on longer runs. I guess when the school is closed they just export.

Last edited:
Is there a community shared scheme for solar panel energy generation. I think someone mentioned it before but I can't find their post(or mine). The school opposite me has about 100 panels and I presume no one uses the energy they create in the school summer holidays.

Thanks

This came up before I think, so I'll say largely what I said last time, I'm not sure if this was you but it sounds familiar.

The school won't want liability to connecting energy up to any other properties.

It's probably more hassle than it's worth for them to do anything at all.

If you want solar power, you're better off buying your own so you're in control of it, and you can benefit fully.

Not really comparable

I was looking and decided not to, although I could revisit later.

Main two concerns were 1) limited lifetime of investment, 2) tie in to a limited number of vendors. Now Octopus is on there which is good, but its not a wide choice.

Main benefit from what I can see is that its cheap so you don't need to go as all in as you do with solar.

any view on Ripple energy ?

Don’t take this as gospel and this isn’t financial advice but from what I have seen online this is that it’s ‘fine’ but in reality is that you are not really ‘buying clean electric’. You are investing in a company and getting a return.

That return is just being paid to your energy supplier instead of your what ever investment vehicle you would normally use. The general consensus I saw is that you can get a better return investing elsewhere.

Obviously both have their risks and restrictions.

I’ll be honest, it would be a much more attractive offer if they just paid me my return directly or gave me the option to reinvest it to grow it further.

On PVoutput, I literally just put my API key in the 'read only' box and all is good?

I can't remember how I originally set it up, but I have the following under automatic uploads I have set the following:

Primary Device: SolarEdge
Direction: Solar
Shift Time:None
API Key: Your key
Site ID: Your site ID - will be on your dashboard
Inverter Serials: left blank
Energy: Disabled
Temperature: Disabled
Voltage: Disabled
Extended V7 / V8 / V9 all disabled
Rule: Blank
Secondary Device: None
Weather Device: None

When you suss it out let me know, as I'm trying to get my brother to add his system.

Hmmm, I'll take another look as I'm sure I'm not setup right yet.
Never setup API stuff before, so all new to me.

I'm still not showing in the group yet, one but I hover over says 18 members, that would include me, but all the lists are only 17 members.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom