Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

@rodders It seems to take an age for things to show up, but if your not producing solar then there will be no data to upload, and until you upload data you may well not show up.

You can manually upload data, on the web based SolarEdge dashboard, on the Power and Energy graph click month, to the right of where it says "Power and Energy" is a little CSV icon, click that and you can download the months data.

Back on PV Output click "Add Output", at the bottom is a CSV Loader, click that, and paste the downloaded data (open the CVS file with Notepad ++ or just notepad, and copy the data) in.

I manually added some data for now, as it's only a few days worth.

It sends data 60 times a day? So it should have sent some as I was producing.

Hmmm, I'll take another look as I'm sure I'm not setup right yet.
Never setup API stuff before, so all new to me.

I'm still not showing in the group yet, one but I hover over says 18 members, that would include me, but all the lists are only 17 members.
Hello Rodders,

It's me that set it up, but it sounds ok what you've done.

I think you need to wait overnight for your user account to refresh. As others have said, the site's a little clunky in it's style, but has masses of data, so best option...!

Check in the morning and see if that fixes, if not just IM me and we can work out!

Well that didn't work when I tested the API, doh.

I'll wait till tomorrow, maybe something will update and all work in the morning! Lol

Last edited:
@Wegason could you get panels on the east and west facing roofs, they work quite well to.

I could but not many and probably only on the upper portion of each side as the lower ones would be shaded by my neighbours open gable roofs i think, despite being detached. Probably not so much in summer but more in winter where the sun is low.

@Wegason did that quote come from Norwich?

First one Colchester, second one Chelmsford.

Do you have a picture with the orientation of your roof?

Even if you can't get south east/west can be effective too.

For such a small system that does seem expensive. I paid similar for double the panels and battery. But that was a price I locked in summer last year.

South facing roof, 8 panels apparently.

The length of the south wall is at least 9.5m btw.

Last edited:
See this is what bothers me they are already ripping you off with the panel costs and that is the first item on your list. The Eurener 410w all-blacks panels are only £148 (ex VAT) each, so 8 would cost £1184, and that is at retail pricing not trade, and the inverter is only £950 (ex VAT). Ye they still want to charge you nearly £3k for the install work, as well as making huge margins on the parts.

Regarding only fitting 8 panels, are you restricted by height and width, or just one of them? You could perhaps fit larger higher wattage panels if you have some give in one of the dimensions, as those panels tends to be 2-2.2m x 1.1-1.3m instead of 1.6-1.75m x 1.1m. You'd be looking at 500w+ panels up to 670w depending on availably and the use of a compatible inverter.

Thank you very much for this information.

I am restricted by roof shape and a soil stack, i suggested going landscape orientation to fit more on and doing three rows but both companies think they can still only fit 8.

What about the roof to the right (SE??) or does it get too much shading?
If you open out the thumbnail you can see that next doors roof to te east is open gable and thus in morning, especially in winter, shades the lower bit of the roof.

Additionally further to the south east are two large-ish trees that provide some shading hence the optimisers in my quote.

Anyone got recommendations for installers that cover Essex?

I mean for your system being relatively modest paying £12k seems a little much in my opinion.

Definitely worth getting as many quotes as possible.

Unfortunately I'm down south so can't recommend who I used unless they cover you ... But they're more of a local firm and as such very competitive.

Got my install yesterday. It is a relatively small 10 panel system, split over 2 roofs, with a 6kw battery (2 x 3). Despite doing as much research as a I could and picking a local company that has been in business a long time I still have some misgivings as to how they fixed the rails (it is a slate roof). They screwed on brackets to the rafters (through the slate) then used a lead replacement product to slide in under the slate above and wrap over the bracket. I wanted them to remove slates and attach directly to the wood, then reslate around it, but they said they do all of their slate roofs like this and it meets code. I guess it is better than just siliconing the holes, which I have heard of people doing. I will just have to keep an eye and get it done properly if I have any leaks. Other than that the team were great, really hard working. It cost just over 11k for 10 panels, optimisers and the battery, with a 5kw hybrid inverter. It needed 2 lots of scaffolding. It is all solarx gear, with pearlite 415w panels.

Last edited:
They screwed on brackets to the rafters (through the slate) then used a lead replacement product to slide in under the slate above and wrap over the bracket.

Removing the slate would have been my preferred method, but it should still be waterproof. My only concern is if the slate breaks up over time, it could possibly come out, and then the bracket may be loose.

I have concrete tiles, and they ground recesses in the back of the tiles for the brackets.

I was surprised too, but I saw them after the rail went on and they all looked fine. It is one of those things that I couldn't do much about; I fear me going up and trying to shape slates would have ended up worse! If it goes bad then I have a really nice builder who will get a roofer for me, so the panels can come off and it will get fixed. But I checked today in the rain and no sign of any water ingress so fingers crossed. The electrical side is all good and it is already generating a very small amount of power despite the lack of sun!

And my response was this

A, do I sound a plonker/ do I have a point?
B, what should I push for? A 5kW inverter is only £400 more Inc vat. I wouldn't mind paying the difference but on the basis I feel slightly misguided by them, perhaps I should argue the point if we get to that.
C, is the DNO point he raised valid? They might cap my export to 3.6kW? Even so, at least I'd be able to better use all the available PV in the house...

Appreciate your input, please keep it coming
:)

Well they shot themselves in the foot there, told you one reason before getting your money, and now told you something else.

A: No, not a plonker and you have a very valid point, they are supposed to be experts, but have clearly got it wrong.
B: Push for the 5kW inverter, even if you are export limited there would be times you cn use the extra in the house.
C: The DNO point he raised is valid, BUT it varies a lot, and is dependant on the grid in your location. I have a 3.6kW system, had it since 2015, and have just installed another 8kW system, making an export potential of 11.6kW and I have been approved. If your rural with not many properties around then there is a good chance you'll be export limited, if your in a high density built up area there is less chance of being export limited. Until they or you apply you really have no idea. I initially kicked mine off with an email to the DNO but didn't really get answer, a phone call was much more productive.

So... not free then.

Blooming expensive really.

You know its true.

Not one of those!

My original system has been producing free power since last year, paid £6.6k for it in December 2015, and it saved/earned that back in full last year. I've just today had an additional system commissioned at greater cost.

What happens if your battery stops functioning outside of warranty?
What if you get some RISO faults on your string? Knocking the entire string off? Who stumps up the cost of repairs? DON'T expect the installers to, or the panel / battery manufactures to help.
Yes, solar works. I know it does. I'm watching the second by second output from around 50MegaWatt of Solar as we speak.. However, I do not agree that domestic solar works. Especially with the upfront costs, and risk of loss 10 years down the line when it all breaks down.

Clearly mine works, as its paid for itself :p
I'm not sceptical. I just see the numbers and refuse to accept it as a viable option.
I however, have 4kw of panels being installed asap anyway.
But I got my panels for free so... the numbers now make sense ;P

Well done you, what about installation cost, the inverter, you need more than just free panels :p

Last edited:
even if the export is limited to 3.6kw......you could be filling the battery and exporting at the same time, with a bigger inverter. Therefore spreading how the power is used. With some systems you can tell it what to do, i'm sure thats right but others will chime in if im wrong.

You could be producing 7kwh on the panels send 50% to the grid, then the panel, then the rest to the battery........or panel, grid, battery

Yep exactly this.
Even if my DNO was restricted on export, at least I'd be rid of the 3.6kW AC output limit.

@NoNameNoNumber

Who is the installer?

I'd rather not say just yet, they have been happy to talk with me, and so far not offering any signs of hostility. Not sure they're too keen of proffering up a free upgrade on the inverter but today I did ring the EPVS up and ask what their thoughts are.
They said all they do is verify the production figures and the ROI timescale etc but don't look into the spec of the system... although they did comment that a 6.7kW system should have more than a 3.6kW inverter.
if I want to raise an official complaint I need to contact HIES. I'll call them tomorrow, but want to give the installers a fair chance.

Well they shot themselves in the foot there, told you one reason before getting your money, and now told you something else.

A: No, not a plonker and you have a very valid point, they are supposed to be experts, but have clearly got it wrong.
B: Push for the 5kW inverter, even if you are export limited there would be times you cn use the extra in the house.
C: The DNO point he raised is valid, BUT it varies a lot, and is dependant on the grid in your location. I have a 3.6kW system, had it since 2015, and have just installed another 8kW system, making an export potential of 11.6kW and I have been approved. If your rural with not many properties around then there is a good chance you'll be export limited, if your in a high density built up area there is less chance of being export limited. Until they or you apply you really have no idea. I initially kicked mine off with an email to the DNO but didn't really get answer, a phone call was much more productive.

Thank you Ron,
We're out in the sticks, yet ironically only 1 mile from an 1800MW power station.
We have pretty good electrical distribution network around these parts :D

Yep exactly this.
Even if my DNO was restricted on export, at least I'd be rid of the 3.6kW AC output limit.

I'd rather not say just yet, they have been happy to talk with me, and so far not offering any signs of hostility. Not sure they're too keen of proffering up a free upgrade on the inverter but today I did ring the EPVS up and ask what their thoughts are.
They said all they do is verify the production figures and the ROI timescale etc but don't look into the spec of the system... although they did comment that a 6.7kW system should have more than a 3.6kW inverter.
if I want to raise an official complaint I need to contact HIES. I'll call them tomorrow, but want to give the installers a fair chance.
they isntalled 3.6kw inverter probably because limitation on export. also higher amount will require a more rigorous network assessment and infrastructure study which is a costly thing i believe. so I dont think it is any fault of theirs. if they install larger inverter they HAVE to apply for license. that is just the way it is. you might not export say 7.2kw but your system is capable so they have to factor that in.

why would you not name the installation for share of the community. its bizzard.

have you DOXed yourself here? people can be annoymous on forum. I dont know anyone is called NoName NoNumber in real world.

its a shame that people like you have such attitude. a forum is a community where poeple share their expreince and help otehrs not to go through the same thing. you literally openned the box then snap it shut. not great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom