Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Also I saw mentioned about export limits to grid, is it a general cap of 3.6kw allowed from homes or do some networks allow more, sent in an email to ukpowernetworks which is my domain but after a week not heard anything back yet.

Edit
Just seen this looking about export limit.

"Most UK residential properties have an incoming single phase supply, this would mean that the maximum you are legally allowed to install is 4KW. A three phase supply would allow a maximum of 10KW."

Is this right? Nobody I sent E-Mails to in regards to solar install of a 5kw+ system said anything about a 4kw system limit.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right?

IIRC 3.6kw is basically a default "yes" to the question of it being fitted and export, anything over that requires the DNO to approve it before I think, but it's usually a formality up to a certain limit with it only being a problem if there is an issue with supply/capacity in the area (in which case I'd guess there is probably a way to limit the max outgoing).

Last edited:
Yeah you can cap the export so thats not a problem would just be nice to not have one, will have to speak with the bloke when he comes around about it, just want to get as much pre info as possible to get the install right first time since im going to be spending ~16 grand on it.

Was more to show progression of sun as one panel getting hit takes them all out depending on inverter.
Not sure where you're doing your homework, but it seems like you've got quite a lot of bad information.

A shaded panel wont take out a string anymore. Modern pabels don't have that problem. Watch this video for why.

Exporting more than 3.6kw has nothing to do with single phase. It's the cutoff point where the power network has to approve the connection as opposed to just being informed. A 3.6 inverter can be installed then a G98 form sent to the DNO after installation. Over 3.6kw a G99 form has to be sent off and approval granted before it can be connected to the grid.

Although inverters can often be configured to run at 3.6kw to meet G98 requirements - so the installer could install the system, set it to run at 3.6kw then reconfigure to its full capacity once the G99 is approved.

Last edited:
I have G99 approval I think however my inverter is only set to G98.
not sure it is worth me bothering to change..... the reality is my generation rarely if ever hits 4kw anyway and if it does it's for a few mins and with my home back ground use.being 200-300w and that is if I am not doing anything am not sure it'd worth the agro

I have G99 approval I think however my inverter is only set to G98.
not sure it is worth me bothering to change..... the reality is my generation rarely if ever hits 4kw anyway and if it does it's for a few mins and with my home back ground use.being 200-300w and that is if I am not doing anything am not sure it'd worth the agro

Yes it is because what if you force export on battery on top for something like Flux?

You want that extra export capability to be set just in case you need it.

Not sure where you're doing your homework, but it seems like you've got quite a lot of bad information.

A shaded panel wont take out a string anymore. Modern pabels don't have that problem. Watch this video for why.

Exporting more than 3.6kw has nothing to do with single phase. It's the cutoff point where the power network has to approve the connection as opposed to just being informed. A 3.6 inverter can be installed then a G98 form sent to the DNO after installation. Over 3.6kw a G99 form has to be sent off and approval granted before it can be connected to the grid.

Although inverters can often be configured to run at 3.6kw to meet G98 requirements - so the installer could install the system, set it to run at 3.6kw then reconfigure to its full capacity once the G99 is approved.
I knew about these but not sure if either come as standard ill have to discuss it with the chap coming next week.

Been looking at Canadian Solar 395w panels that was originally put in my quote and cant see anything to indicate if they come with optimizer fitted, I know it won't be micro inverters at £144 a panel.

If they come with neither and a tossup between the two for a little bit of hope for them lasting their most what would you go with? I know the MI's put out AC rather than DC but I think the batteries would be fine im getting.

Nice, going to have to work out whats what after roof gets measured up, ideally out of the 2 rows of 5/6/7 that difference companies said it would be nice if minimum was 2 rows of 6 could be fitted on south but I feel that may be pushing it and panels are cheap enough I may considering 1 row on north to compensate and to help during the shorter winter months. I know its not ideal placement but its a shame I don't have a larger roof, im trying to get it right first time with winter months in mind to get as much battery filled as possible with the space I got on roof.

If I could get 2x6 rows of 430 Jinko panels on south roof that would be fantastic but im not a very optimistic person and spending this much I really want to nail everything down first time.

Been looking at Canadian Solar 395w panels that was originally put in my quote and cant see anything to indicate if they come with optimizer fitted, I know it won't be micro inverters at £144 a panel.
Generally panels don't come with optimisers or micro inverters, they are added afterwards if required. You don't need either given the little shading you get, they are just another thing to go wrong, and being on the roof difficult to access when they do.

Back
Top Bottom