Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

6 panels allows them to comply with the 400 mm MCS requirement for edges.
Having recently been to a few European countries, this seems to be a very UK thing.

France and Holland (where I've been recently and noticed) - their panels are right to the edge of their roofs. They literally cram every last inch of roof space with panels.

Last edited:
Having recently been to a few European countries, this seems to be a very UK thing.

France and Holland (where I've been recently and noticed) - their panels are right to the edge of their roofs. They literally cram every last inch of roof space with panels.
Well, my opinion of MCS is close to zero, so adding incompetent to that wouldn't be hard!

Eg..

netherlands_solar_homes_C_shutterstock_9708298f5c.jpg

There is no mcs requirement any longer if you join octopus……. So you can get as many as you can fitted, with any solar provider and no longer needs mcs certification
The issue is that not all suppliers take that approach, another supplier may have a better deal at some point and require it.

It was only a few weeks ago that those on ToU tariffs could only export at 4p instead of 15p that others are offering.

There is a master builder who lives near me... he took 2 1960-70s detached mammoths and went to town. One has edge to edge solar. Looks so good!

yMv5DzE.png

The issue is that not all suppliers take that approach, another supplier may have a better deal at some point and require it.

It was only a few weeks ago that those on ToU tariffs could only export at 4p instead of 15p that others are offering.
So switch the supply to octopus and get paid without the mcs requirement. Surely that makes more sense , well it does to me anyway.

So switch the supply to octopus and get paid without the mcs requirement. Surely that makes more sense , well it does to me anyway.

Re-read my post, Octopus may not have the best deal, you could be giving up money by not having it. Padlocking yourself in to one supplier isn't a great idea and reduces your options in the future. If there is anything we should have learnt over the last few years is that energy companies both come and go, including big ones like Npower.

Like it or not, MCS is the standard everyone looks for and not having is likely to be most hassle than it is worth at the moment. It's not just about SEG either, solicitors will be asking for it for decades when you come to sell. No certificate? At best that would be indemnity insurance for you, at worst, sale falls through.

Advising people not to go with an MCS installer is not a 'no brainer' in 2023, particularly when you will not be the person who may have to deal with it if there are problems later down the line.

This is aside from the whole wind loading issue, from what I have seen installers are using rule of thumb calculations on the basis the gaps are being left and not specific calculations for your roof. If you don't leave the gaps, then you'll need to make sure you don't overload the roof.

Re-read my post, Octopus may not have the best deal, you could be giving up money by not having it. Padlocking yourself in to one supplier isn't a great idea and reduces your options in the future. If there is anything we should have learnt over the last few years is that energy companies both come and go, including big ones like Npower.

Like it or not, MCS is the standard everyone looks for and not having is likely to be most hassle than it is worth at the moment. It's not just about SEG either, solicitors will be asking for it for decades when you come to sell. No certificate? At best that would be indemnity insurance for you, at worst, sale falls through.

Advising people not to go with an MCS installer is not a 'no brainer' in 2023, particularly when you will not be the person who may have to deal with it if there are problems later down the line.

This is aside from the whole wind loading issue, from what I have seen installers are using rule of thumb calculations on the basis the gaps are being left and not specific calculations for your roof. If you don't leave the gaps, then you'll need to make sure you don't overload the roof.
Think its best you do a bit of research, rather than rely on what you been told by others………i predict all suppliers will have scrapped mcs requirements within the next 6/12mths.

Back
Top Bottom