Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

The SolarEdge designer seems to think 15 x 430 panels would fit too, but i'm not sure if i'm using it correctly
solaredge430.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question - is there any max recommended forced grid charge capacity for lipo Solax batteries (i.e.95%) to preserve battery performance - I think minimum recommended is 11% but can't remember if there is a recommended max?

Last edited:
The SolarEdge designer seems to think 15 x 430 panels would fit too, but i'm not sure if i'm using it correctly
solaredge430.jpg

I would go with this kind of layout if you can, it looks more balanced than the other one you had with some panels vertically arranged.

If 15 go like that, I think it will look good and fill most of the space.

You can't go too near the edges though usually, needs probably minimum of 30CM or so either side, if not a bit more.

Last edited:
Managed to convince MyEnergy that 15 panels should be possible.

15panels430.jpg

Solar Panels
LONGi
6.45 kW Total Solar Power
15 x 430 Watt Panels (LR5-54HTB-430M)
5,175 kWh per year

Inverter
Sunsynk
5 kW Total Inverter Rating
1 x SUNSYNK-5.5K-SG01/03LP1

Battery
Sunsynk
10.24 kWh Total Battery Storage
2 x Sunsynk 5.12kWh

Bird Deterrent Mesh
Bird Deterrent 30 Meter Roll PVC Coated Solar Mesh
1 x BIRD-MESH-BLK

Standard System Price
£12,868.00 Excluding £0.00 VAT
SUN1010 £-1,287.00
Total System Price
£11,581.00 Excluding £0.00 VAT
Purchase Price
£11,581.00 Including £0.00 VAT

Last edited:
Managed to convince MyEnergy that 15 panels should be possible.

This is my problem, you shouldn't have to convince them - given the original panel dimensions there really wasn't anything much up for debate, unless they weren't confident in their own first initial survey, in which case they should say that and send someone out to measure up properly and then give you the best system/your preference of several options.

Glad it seems to be sorted though, do you know how much adding/removing a battery is? I ask as they are pretty easy to add after the fact, and it might cost you less to just get one, then buy a further two yourself. Are they mounting them in the Sunsynk cases, bolting them to a wall, stacking them in a rack, or do you not know?

Last edited:
The guy did apologise and just said he had his brain puddled by his kids and for some reason couldn't picture the layout I meant until I sent him some images.
He even said he could probably add more panels in portrait between the vents etc. but I might need optimisers too due to shading on the lower section of roof and it might not look as neat.. as well as being more expensive again.

I'd have to ask about the battery. Nothing is itemised, just a system price
I don't think they know how or where the batteries would be situated until I say go ahead and put down a refundable £100 deposit so they do a survey.

Last edited:
The guy did apologise and just said he had his brain puddled by his kids and for some reason couldn't picture the layout I meant until I sent him some images.
He even said he could probably add more panels in portrait between the vents etc. but I might need optimisers too due to shading on the lower section of roof and it might not look as neat.. as well as being more expensive again.

I'd have to ask about the battery. Nothing is itemised, just a system price
I don't think they know how or where the batteries would be situated until I say go ahead and put down a refundable £100 deposit so they do a survey.
Good to know that calling the advice rubbish was a mistake.

Yeah, adding more panels will cost more, especially with optimisers, if you did decide to look at getting more, then the extra cost would likely be better if looking at getting low rise vents/tile replacement vents and just having another row of 5 below, and uplifting to the 8kW inverter.

Reason I mentioned the battery config, was sometimes they totally over egg the cost of adding one, and if you remove one the saving is sometimes less than the cost of adding one. Once the Sunsynk system is setup even with one battery, adding more is pretty simple, and they are easily available these days at ~£950-1000 (+VAT) the tech support guys at Sunsynk are also really helpful and will happily walk you through the inverter config etc. If adding more.

Will a 5kW inverter be ok for 6.45kW panels?

Should be, the 8.8kW inverter (SUN-8K-SG01LP1-EU) is ~£1420 + VAT, so a good bit more expensive than the cheapest you can find the 5.5kW ECO version you have been quoted, but then if you are going for 20 panels vs. 15, then the extra cost would certainly be worth it if you want to max out your south facing roof. I would also like to contribute in as much, do you see your electricity use increasing in the coming years? E.g. Will you be getting a BEV, Air to Air Heating cooling, Heatpump etc.? If so I strongly advise to look at your current usage and try and extrapolate from that.

I think I'm going to stick with 15 panels and I've accepted the proposal.
Just have to see what they say after the survey. Fingers crossed it can be done.
I don't really see my electricity usage increasing over the coming years. I don't drive and the property is a bit old for a heatpump (1800's build)

Finally got around to insulating the batteries in the loft ready for the winter. I used a fire blanket over them and then encased them in 50mm polystyrene held together with pins do it can be removed as a whole unit. The results have been good. The temperature of the batteries was starting to fall below 15C at night which is the point where the charge rate dropped from 5kW to 2.5kW, meaning not enough time in the three hour flux period to fully charge from empty. The insulation has been on a week and they have stayed between 19.5C and 28C in the whole period.

Insulation.png

Does it make it that much better? I have seen some houses for sale that had the batteries for tesla on the outside of the house.

I'm not sure what the Tesla's charge at depending on temperature, but the BMS on the Fox batteries I have will allow charging at the full 5kW above 15C, but drop to 2.5kW below that. Back in February / March they were getting cold enough that they would only charge at 1kW and discharge at a max of 3kW. I believe below 0C they will discharge slowly but not charge at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom