Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Cheers.

Yeah that's doubled what I previously had. Even though it's 11+ years old now it still generates similar to the new setup. Facing almost perfectly south is the key.

Cheers.

Yeah that's doubled what I previously had. Even though it's 11+ years old now it still generates similar to the new setup. Facing almost perfectly south is the key.
Yeh my two systems are virtually perfect south…..the second string of four is bob on, as i built the mount that way. But the roof is slightly south east.

only problem i got now is my inlaws trees blocking the panels around 3pm due to the angle of the sun, but they will be trimmed in the new year….

That's quick, they must be a lot quieter.

As I said earlier, it is a buyers market right now prices are dropping and with installer competition being much more wide spread and electricity prices steadying, it is much easier to get a quicker install at a much lower cost.

Survey done. Guy said I have plenty of space.
Scaffolding due on the 6th. Install booked for the 8th Nov.

Did you end up with just the 15 panels then?

Is there anywhere to get a rough quote online without having to endure endless follow up calls? I just want to see where the market’s currently at.

In you can figure out what you need yourself, then you can basically add up the parts cost, then add £500-1000 for scaffold and £3-4k for the install and 'extra's' and that will get you in the ball park. if you want a real quote, then do what I do and have a throw away phone number that I give out to places like that and ignore it when it rings. :)

Last edited:
In you can figure out what you need yourself, then you can basically add up the parts cost, then add £500-1000 for scaffold and £3-4k for the install and 'extra's' and that will get you in the ball park. if you want a real quote, then do what I do and have a throw away phone number that I give out to places like that and ignore it when it rings. :)

Haha, thanks :) I got 2 quotes about a year ago, so I was curious to see how today’s prices compare.

See my post a day or two ago comparing quotes from this month to the same time a year ago.

In summary, I'm looking at 21-23 panels across and east/west setup with 9/10kwh batteries and bird mesh.
2022 quotes ranged from £18k - £21k
2023 the first quote I got was £13.5k.

For the same 23 panel set up with a 13.5kwh giv energy all in one (not available last year) the first quote was £16k as was the second.

This is a pretty big system but prices are looking like they are down at least 25% on last year.

Last edited:
See my post a day or two ago comparing quotes from this month to the same time a year ago.

In summary, I'm looking at 21-23 panels across and east/west setup with 9/10kwh batteries and bird mesh.
2022 quotes ranged from £18k - £21k
2023 the first quote I got was £13.5k.

For the same 23 panel set up with a 13.5kwh giv energy all in one (not available last year) the first quote was £16k as was the second.

This is a pretty big system but prices are looking like they are down at least 25% on last year.

That’s a really big drop, thanks.

This is one of the quotes I received in December 2022. I think 15kWh is the bare minimum battery size we’d get be able to get away with.
Just received a quote from Eco Renewables Group Limited. About £3000 less than Octopus for pretty much the same system
1f62e.png

She said I don't need G99 approval because the PV is rated at 4.9kW. Is that correct because I have a funny feeling it isn't?

(Dunno why she put Pylontech in the quote because she said it's a GivEnergy Gen 2 on the phone)

12 x 410w Black Panels
1 x Givenergy Inverter 5kW (Gen 1)
1 x 9.5kw Pylontech Battery (9.5kw)
1 x Cables, conduit, isolators
1 x HIES insurance backed warranty
1 x MCS sign off
1 x Installation
1 x Scaffolding

TOTAL - £11,095 Fitted

It's about £4500 to add another 9.5kWh GivEnergy battery.

Why so much battery?

I think Giv Energy hybrid inverters/batteries are limited to 3.5kw so it would take 5.5 hours to fill them at full tilt if you only have one inverter.

Why so much battery?

I think Giv Energy hybrid inverters/batteries are limited to 3.5kw so it would take 5.5 hours to fill them at full tilt if you only have one inverter.

Large house, induction hob, 2 people working from home every day etc. It adds up.

Not really fixated on GivEnergy. Seems like SolarEdge is now popular so I’d have to look at their stuff.

EDIT: I've just calculated that over the last 30 days, our daily average consumption was 12.2kWh, excluding the EV charging. That means a Tesla Powerwall or GivEnergy All-in-One would only just cover our usage.

Last edited:
Why so much battery?

That one that was quoted is a Gen1 inverter and would be limited to 2.5kW.
Gen2 and Gen3 5kW inverters can provide the house with 5kW AC if there is enough PV capacity and 3.3kW to the battery - but size of array and generation is key!

EDIT: I've just calculated that over the last 30 days, our daily average consumption was 12.2kWh, excluding the EV charging. That means a Tesla Powerwall or GivEnergy All-in-One would only just cover our usage.

Less than mine and I do OK with an 8.2 kWh battery.

Most of us with these also wind up on something like Go for cheap overnight charging, battery doesn't need to last a whole day.

Most days you'll also get some solar to take the load off just battery alone as well.

Back
Top Bottom