Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
I've been away the last week, switched off TV's, some computers which are normally asleep and a few other minor things, but server and all networking was still on, base load was 430w averaged out over the week - we used 72.2kWh whilst away (probably more than @Welshman)

I even alternated charging, but couldn't really see any major difference in day to day consumption.
Generated 121 - exported 88…. So thats 33kwhs used from solar generation and imported 14 from the grid.

So 47kwhs used lol….so yup, you used more than me and you wasnt even home lol

Soldato
Yep, well known scam, been doing the rounds a lot over the years, they look up your details on the MCS register.

Edit, actually reading the letter it is different to what I've seen before.

You can indeed change your panels, and may gain some extra kWh's due to efficiency gains, if you increase capacity then FITs payments are pro-rata'd, so 4kWp system increased to 8 then FITS will be paid on 50% of generation. Of course you need to use an MCS installer.

Last edited:
Associate
What's the best way to find quality installers in your area, is there any website that can help with this.
I googled it but it seems it's like a minefield out there with scammers.
Area I'm interested in is West Sussex.

Associate
@oggiet i can recommend spectra solar, they're based in wigan but they install country-wide
they installed my pv system and i've recommended them to others in the past
very reasonable prices as well

@Pyr0m@nI@]{ has also got a battery installed by them as well
@Ace Modder was looking to get a system installed by them, not sure if he has though
Cool, will look into them. Thank you :)

Soldato
Tesla Powerwall 3 is now available in the U.K. and it appears to be cheaper than givenergy AIO which you’d need a separate solar inverter for.

£5.5k for the integrated 13.5kwh battery and 11kw 3mppt inverter and £800 for the gateway plus installation.

If this was out 6 months ago, I’d have had it over the giv system I have now.

Edit: just to add, there is nothing wrong with the giv system I have, it’s performing great. The new powerwall is just a bit better and around the same money but there is no need for a separate solar inverter.

Last edited:
Soldato
But there's always a worry that ballbag will just turn it off in whimsy.

Also having seen some Tesla products up close, the QA isn't tip top

Admittedly, I haven't seen any of the solar stuff.

Man of Honour
Tesla Powerwall 3 is now available in the U.K. and it appears to be cheaper than givenergy AIO which you’d need a separate solar inverter for.

£5.5k for the integrated 13.5kwh battery and 11kw 3mppt inverter and £800 for the gateway plus installation.
that's a really good price

Soldato
that's a really good price
It really is. I’m aware you could get more kWh elsewhere but for an integrated package with an 11kw inverter, it’s hard to beat for the cash.

It’s a shame that installers seem to add a bit of a Tesla tax onto the price, well they certainly did historically.

Man of Honour
It really is. I’m aware you could get more kWh elsewhere but for an integrated package with an 11kw inverter, it’s hard to beat for the cash.
i wish i waited for my install lol
if no installer tax, that powerwall 3 is cheaper than the equivalent sunsynk!
3x L5.21 batteries 90% dod (13.8kwh usable) and the 8kw ECCO hybrid inverter

Last edited:
Associate
Today is the day they start the install, exciting. My neighbours are quite intrigued to say the least.
A 19 x 435W All Black Longi Mono Panels - Manufacturers 25 Year Product & 25 Year Performance
B 1 x GivEnergy 13.5kW All In One - Manufacturers AC Charger 12 Year & 12 Year Battery Product Warranty
C 1 x GivEnergy Gateway Off Grid System - Manufacturers 12 Year Product Warranty
D 1 x Solis 5G 8kW String Inverter - Manufacturers 10 Year Product Warranty
E Grid Connected Battery Management System For Grid Charging
F 5 x Tigo Panel Optimisers - These are for the panels situation on the garage
G All Black Roof Mounting Kit
H All Black Bird Protection Mesh
I Generation Meter, Isolators and all Electrical Components + Cable for EV Charger

Back
Top Bottom