Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
Are you running a house or an office based small business with 20 employees? :p

There’s a lot going on there but it doesn’t look like the root cause of an 46kwh/day electricity habbit. Presumably the 17,000 figure is also after taking into account your existing solar set up? (E.g that’s what you are billed and you are actually consuming more).

The fact your consumption is not including an EV or electric space heating/hot water is more concerning.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
17,000kWh!

I thought mine was obscene at 9,500kWh annualy, and that's with some electric UFH, a 24/7 server/network setup and a dehumidifier running constantly in the garage. I switched from electric heating in the garage to kerosene so that'll drop the figures down a bit in future but still! :eek:

Associate
I’ve a similar sized rack with UniFi kit

Dream machine pro
24 Poe switch
2 months no switches
4 caneras
5 wap
Synology Nas

Other stuff on 24/7
Fridge freezer
Fridge
Freezer
Things on standby

By base load is ~200w/300w

Soldato
Has anyone got panels installed in a conservation area, I'm still waiting for sity council to come back to me but them .. have not replied back, been almost a month

Their telephones are none existent

Last edited:
Soldato
How long did it take to get the meter installed, long waiting list ? We are with octopus

Not long at all, we were with EDF at the time, I reckon couple of weeks.

We did run our solar setup without a smart meter for about 9 months, but the solar export is worth about £150 a year even on our modest system so well worth it.

We switched to Octopus now as well.

Associate
Not long at all, we were with EDF at the time, I reckon couple of weeks.

We did run our solar setup without a smart meter for about 9 months, but the solar export is worth about £150 a year even on our modest system so well worth it.

We switched to Octopus now as well.
Sounds great, thank you.

Soldato
The waiting list, if there is one will be location dependent. They are not sending a person down from Liverpool to change your meter in Dover if Dover has a long backlog.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
How long did it take to get the meter installed, long waiting list ? We are with octopus

I had an old SMETS1 meter with an uncooperative gas meter. I called Octopus, explained that I would like a gas meter that worked properly and I want to switch to the Agile tariff and they scheduled me an appointment. The new SMETS2 meter was installed yesterday, 6 days after I called them.

Man of Honour
I had an old SMETS1 meter with an uncooperative gas meter. I called Octopus, explained that I would like a gas meter that worked properly and I want to switch to the Agile tariff and they scheduled me an appointment. The new SMETS2 meter was installed yesterday, 6 days after I called them.

check if octopus are offering incentives for smets2 installation
last year when eon upgraded my meters they gave me a £100 credit to my account

Soldato
Just standard single phase. I'm on gas for heating and hot water, no EV, but even with the hot tub and 10GB network, something seems off (or rather, VERY on!) - hence why I'm installing energy monitors to track down greedy kit.
This is the house rack right now (need to order a longer DAC cable for the poe switch!). Looking into moving some of the RJ45 links over to fiber and losing the Netgear 10gb switch.
I've been away the last week, switched off TV's, some computers which are normally asleep and a few other minor things, but server and all networking was still on, base load was 430w averaged out over the week - we used 72.2kWh whilst away (probably more than @Welshman)

I even alternated charging, but couldn't really see any major difference in day to day consumption.

Back
Top Bottom