Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
Some of these posts are madness :cry:
Now there's a perfect example, original system 8 x 405w panels .
Last year added another 4 x 400w panels.
This year upgrading the inverter and adding another 4 panels.

And those that don't know, he has an extremely low usage, but still see's the benefits of a bigger system.

Soldato
Now there's a perfect example, original system 8 x 405w panels .
Last year added another 4 x 400w panels.
This year upgrading the inverter and adding another 4 panels.

And those that don't know, he has an extremely low usage, but still see's the benefits of a bigger system.
Yup, its unfortunate that people dont get or know the benefits.

To bring some balance here :)

I would say within reason max the number of panels as others say. For most people the physical limitations are going to be a sensible number anyway.
Assuming you have scaff costs (I didn't my installer uses a temp scaff type system they own) then getting the roof full makes total sense, you also have the advantage that if a panel fails, or of course over time as they degrade slowly you don't drop below the generation you really want.

But there are of course limit points, most people aren't on 3 phase so there is that.
And not all systems are the same, some have hidden limitations on ability to do things, like export at 5kw on a 5kw inverter, or charge the batteries at the full rate etc.

Most systems are not whole house UPS despite many assuming they are.

The main point after my waffling is that simply its impossible to say with any certainty when break even will come. Tariffs, export pricing, import pricing have all changed multiple times in the 18 months since I got my system.
Saving sessions (demand reduction in NG terms) have been introduced, free energy (power ups) have come for some of us.
Its basically impossible to predict 12 months, let alone the 7-9 thats likely payback for most people.
But then consider that, 7-9 year payback on something thats going to likely not need any significant investment for another 10 years is pretty darn good.
I would say the one investment you should plan for around 10 years is a new inverter, these seem to have a high failure rate once you get to around 8 years from what I could find, and that only increases year on year as they age.

Associate
Anyone using these panels ? before I order on Monday.

Need more panels(4) as I have another 16kwh battery in the build stage.

Man of Honour
Has anyone in Gloucestershire recently had solar fitted? Seeing a lot of social media adverts from companies who apart from their website have no online presence, no reviews, very little information on Companies House etc.

Soldato
Ignore all social media adverts relating to solar.

Too many are at best dodgy lead generation companies that sell them to dodgy installers who can’t get the work themselves because they are bad. At worst they are scams.

Last edited:
Soldato
i disagree with this for all the reasons i posted above few posts, see my post about futureproofsolar

worth getting all the info you need with a burner number unless you are too weak and will buy from the first shop lol

Last edited:
Soldato
My neighbour had an install done with https://www.tileenergy.uk/

With a Tesla power wall thing it was £22k! :eek:

I can show installs on Youtube that cost over £100k for residential. Also as I said previously my neighbour was quoted £16k for a 10 panel system, 3.68kW inverter and I believe 3kWh battery, luckily they said no, they also said no when the price magically reduced by £6k.

PV is a mine field, you really need to do your research, then do some more, get an understanding, and then shop around, check reviews for the installers preferably before getting quotes from them etc.

Oh, and without knowing the full system spec of your neighbours install, it could have been good value for money, or it could have been a rip off.

You are also better off using long established companies, so check how long they've been around. Anyone near the Kent/East Sussex boarder won't go wrong using https://www.tlgec.co.uk/ they did my original install back in 2015.

Last edited:
Associate
PV is a mine field
This. It's still the wild west and many (most?) installers are able to exploit the general publics lack of knowledge.

We had a party here yesterday, must have been 30+ people freinds and family etc. Quite a large cross section of people. I'm the only one with Solar, and EV or a home battery. People just have no idea about energy costs, consumption etc. How much energy do you use and what's your unit rate? "dunno, couple of hundred a month" is 99.9% of the time how that question is answered.

I did text over my octopus link twice though so hopefully that should cover some of the beer and burgers I paid out for yesterday. ha.

Soldato
My neighbour had an install done with https://www.tileenergy.uk/

With a Tesla power wall thing it was £22k! :eek:

My colleague just had a similar priced install, well actually it was just under £30k ... but it also included an entire new roof for the house.

Without details who know if it was good value, maybe they got ripped off, maybe they got an entire SolarEdge system with over priced panels, and two Powerwalls. Difficult to say, but unless their house is huge with dozens of panels, and lots of kWh of storage, they likely over paid.

Associate
Only small system here….but going to be in profit again this month with export covering leccy, gas and all standing charges. You dont need a big system, just the right one that works for you.

But if you can go big, then, go big……
Yep. If you're on an export then big big big. It's free money over time assuming the export rate remains.

Soldato
My electrician came round yesterday, when we did my solar extension just over a year ago he insisted I fitted rotary PV isolators, even though I had suitable DC MCB's. Yesterday he admitted he knew they wasn't really required but likes to fit them!!! That cost me money :mad:, and I also knew that I didn't need them, but I needed him.

They will soon be removed and sold on eBay, as I need to the room for more MPPT controllers :D

Soldato
My electrician came round yesterday, when we did my solar extension just over a year ago he insisted I fitted rotary PV isolators, even though I had suitable DC MCB's. Yesterday he admitted he knew they wasn't really required but likes to fit them!!! That cost me money :mad:, and I also knew that I didn't need them, but I needed him.

They will soon be removed and sold on eBay, as I need to the room for more MPPT controllers :D
they are like £30 arent they

Man of Honour
I can show installs on Youtube that cost over £100k for residential. Also as I said previously my neighbour was quoted £16k for a 10 panel system, 3.68kW inverter and I believe 3kWh battery, luckily they said no, they also said no when the price magically reduced by £6k.

PV is a mine field, you really need to do your research, then do some more, get an understanding, and then shop around, check reviews for the installers preferably before getting quotes from them etc.

Oh, and without knowing the full system spec of your neighbours install, it could have been good value for money, or it could have been a rip off.

You are also better off using long established companies, so check how long they've been around. Anyone near the Kent/East Sussex boarder won't go wrong using https://www.tlgec.co.uk/ they did my original install back in 2015.

This was the system.

IMG-9707.jpg

Whether that’s what they actually paid or not I don’t know. They have a similar sized roof to us.

Soldato
This was the system.

£1,200 of inverter, or £900 if they used the new one.
£1,000 of optimisers
£920 worth of panels.
£500-750 worth of mounting equipment, rails and hooks, screws, and cables.
£5,000 PowerWall/Gateway.

So about £9.0k of parts at the high end, the other £13k was in install scaffolding and G99 etc.

If you look at the cost what is a real shame is them over pricing the Powerwall install even though they were getting the PV business, you buy it on it's own (fully installed) for over £1,000 less.

Back
Top Bottom