Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

One of them damn why did I do this moments
Exactly this, but I think it was early on a Saturday.

@DRZ They can insist on witnessing it, not sure whether that ever happens though. Once you have your allowance, it's yours and I don't think they can take it away. If the grid is close to collapse then they need to upgrade it. I have heard of several houses all sending in G98 forms to get the local grid upgraded because one was turned down for more than 3.68kW export.

Last edited:
Exactly this, but I think it was early on a Saturday.

@DRZ They can insist on witnessing it, not sure whether that ever happens though. Once you have your allowance, it's yours and I don't think they can take it away. If the grid is close to collapse then they need to upgrade it. I have heard of several houses all sending in G98 forms to get the local grid upgraded because one was turned down for more than 3.68kW export.

I suppose early on a Saturday morning is as bad as a late one when generation is at stake!

I believe that the local grid they assume that all houses will install solar and thats how they come up with the allowance.
I guess if a load of people who could have been allocated say 5kw just had a 3.68kw installed then you may get lucky and they may grant a little over 5kw.
Suspect not but you never know.

You have a legal right to export 3.68kW, anything above that is allocated on a first come first served basis. If someone else wants more than 3.68kW and the local network can't cope, they either pay to upgrade it or settle for the 3.68. If the network can't cope with even 3.68 then the DNO foots the bill to upgrade, as I understand it.

Last edited:
You have a legal right to export 3.68kW, anything above that is allocated on a first come first served basis. If someone else wants more than 3.68kW and the local network can't cope, they either pay to upgrade it or settle for the 3.68. If the network can't cope with even 3.68 then the DNO foots the bill to upgrade, as I understand it.

Is that for sure?, I've seen it quoted its a first come first served but never seen it written on official stuff.
But yeah I know the cost can be kicked back if you want above what it can handle.
Which is my point, I assume they in effect reserve this for all houses to get solar (at minimum or at an average)
Wonder what actually happens if the net for the whole substation is negative, IE total export is higher than import, does it get back to the grid or what?

Depends on the inverter. These days almost none of Growatts lineup is G100 compatible at all, nor do they claim them to be so. G98/99 only. That's why the export limit is user exposed.
Best they change the live inverter database that they use to add your inverter than. As all of them on there are G100 compliant.

Is that for sure?, I've seen it quoted its a first come first served but never seen it written on official stuff.

Old document but look at page 24.

When installing generating equipment which can export to the grid, which totals 3.68kW or less your are only required to notify the DNO once it is commissioned, therefore anyone can install and then notify. You only need to get permission prior to commissioning if it is greater than 3.68kW. There are some examples on forums of people complaining they've been told they can't export anything, but the one I just read appeared they already had a system and wanted to add AC connected batteries, thus increasing the export potential, hence it is zero increase, not a zero export.

Binky on the electricians forums is a very knowledgeable retired electrician and solar installer, and this thread makes an interesting read.

Old document but look at page 24.

When installing generating equipment which can export to the grid, which totals 3.68kW or less your are only required to notify the DNO once it is commissioned, therefore anyone can install and then notify. You only need to get permission prior to commissioning if it is greater than 3.68kW. There are some examples on forums of people complaining they've been told they can't export anything, but the one I just read appeared they already had a system and wanted to add AC connected batteries, thus increasing the export potential, hence it is zero increase, not a zero export.

Binky on the electricians forums is a very knowledgeable retired electrician and solar installer, and this thread makes an interesting read.

Interesting but still nothing in both cases about priority for above 3.68 being a first come first served thing.
On commercial they actually publish that and say thats how it works, but for domestic I haven't seen anything, but everyone says its the case.
I was just intrigued because if there is the possibility the DNO may have to upgrade the local network if everyone applied then I can't see any reason they would grant more than 3.68 to anyone at all.
I also wonder if the priority thing comes from the commercial side and its assumed domestic works the same way.

Of course its possible I guess that different DNOs work differently. I believe everyone has the "right" to the 3.68 but anything above is purely discretionary.

Its not a big thing I was just curious really. :)

DNO got back to me today and they are happy for me to submit changes to my current application to fit a 4.6kw inverter. Which negates the need for the G100….. sweet.

Wish i could fit bigger, but at least it allows me to fit at least 6 more panels for a 7.2kw pv array and 4.6kw inverter… yes it will clip at peak times, but im ok with that.

DNO got back to me today and they are happy for me to submit changes to my current application to fit a 4.6kw inverter. Which negates the need for the G100….. sweet.

Wish i could fit bigger, but at least it allows me to fit at least 6 more panels for a 7.2kw pv array and 4.6kw inverter… yes it will clip at peak times, but im ok with that.

Be careful on the overpanelling at that level.
Some manufacturers do allow upto 200% but many are 150% or below, and watch the string limits.

Eg mine allows 10kwp but input limit is 7.5kw* and individual string limit is 5kw.

(5kw inverter btw)

*total of string 1 + string 2.

Last edited:
Be careful on the overpanelling at that level.
Some manufacturers do allow upto 200% but many are 150% or below, and watch the string limits.

Eg mine allows 10kwp but input limit is 7.5kw* and individual string limit is 5kw.

(5kw inverter btw)

*total of string 1 + string 2.
4.6kw growatt allows 9.2kw of panels…… 2 mppts, 1 string per mppt, max voltage 550v

Last edited:
Wonder what actually happens if the net for the whole substation is negative, IE total export is higher than import, does it get back to the grid or what?

I forgot to answer this, the grid was designed for power to flow from the power stations, outwards in one direction, and be consumed by the end user. Apparently some transformers can work backwards, and send power back up the line, although there is losses, others don't work so well in reverse. If there is too much power on the local grid then the voltage will rise, and eventually be out of spec, which means it exceeds 253v, at this point inverters should stop exporting/shut down. High demand will cause voltage to drop, high export will cause voltage to rise (inverters export by raising the voltage), hence the need to balance the export, and also why EV chargers require permission from the DNO to be installed.

I did watch this the other day which sheds some light on some of it, hopefully I'm thinking about the right video!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom