Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Canadian solar may be a better brand?

From what I have read they are generally seen as a little higher in the tier rating than JA
Looks like it makes sense now why they seem to take up more roof space than predicted since the panels are larger
They are the lower efficiency wafers hence bigger panels.

They do have 12 year guarantee vs the 10 from JA

Just means obviously should something happen at a later date I would need to replace with larger panels again

There is a new G99 fast track process available - A3-3

Essentially you can connect and notify for larger than 3.68kw inverters provided that they are G99 approved and limited to 16amps at that time. This is useful for use while awaiting full G99 approval, or in my case leaving at 3.68kw since the DNO want an unreasonable sum to approve 5kw connection and G100 fast track can only be achieved with G98 inverters (it is designed for multiple G98 devices).
I just thought I'd provide the update that after 3 weeks SSE have approved my A3-3 with a formal letter saying that I could connect (even though it is a connect and notify service but whatever).
They also sent me an A3-2 to send back to confirm commissioning for the purpose of their records. I sent that back with schematic and a completed ELS Commissioning Form. My installer has gone radio silent so I had to do it all.
So result is my 5kw G99 hybrid inverter is all OK and registered with an export limitation to 3.68kw without needing a witness test (£s) or paying the Second Comer Contribution that SSE wanted to permit 5kw.

The A3-3 process is a great way for those with >3.68kw inverters to get up and running and worse case limit export if the DNO won't permit or wants lots of money to export more than 3.68kw.

Last edited:
Maybe a little...

9848 points in the last session, which is worth about £12.50, and also was exporting at the same time and earned about £6.50 from that.
Yes first time I ever have done it.

1671193797704.png

Fortunately we had had a sunny day so batteries had plenty of charge. :)

That's equivalent of £2.26 - so basically a day's worth of electricity.
Only just over £56.00 for me!

Last edited:
I don't understand how you are doing this, do you normally import during those hours?
It's skewed to 4 hours - one hour before the session starts.
So using maximum amount from the Grid in 1pm to 4pm for the session start at 5pm.
In my case, electric underfloor heating on ( gas normally) charge batteries, laundry etc. In that window and then nothing but from the batteries in the savings session.

See my post above, it's more about what you use prior and then not use in the session.
No its not, its what octopus pay you back for the 2hr saving session….and as its £2.20 per kwh saved, that would mean you didnt use 25.6kwh in the 2hr session, thats a crazy amount of electric in 2hrs

its also based on the previous weeks usage of the same time and day

i use 4kwhs per day, so thats over 6 days of electric for me

Last edited:
No its not, its what octopus pay you back for the 2hr saving session….and as its £2.20 per kwh saved, that would mean you didnt use 25.6kwh in the 2hr session, thats a crazy amount of electric in 2hrs

its also based on the previous weeks usage of the same time and day

i use 4kwhs per day, so thats over 6 days of electric for me
I'm sorry but you are wrong:

Edit: for reference I used around 36kWh in the three hour period.

Last edited:
or paying the Second Comer Contribution that SSE wanted to permit 5kw.

Thanks for the feedback. What is this bit?

Is there any way of knowing what export they are able to accept or is this just made up on the spot when their local engineer ganders at the local site?

Asking as we are rural but paid for our connection when building. We have 100amp service which splits off from a pole transformer assuming 11kVa. If you could reverse calculate what their max export would be allowed you could then just spec the inverter to that or cap a bigger one.

Yeah hes right, and its nice to see the in day adjustment window clarified, i need to tinker a little based on that

So your savings sessions saving is flexed based on your 10 day average and then a daily demand flex adjustment to your 10 day average based on that 3 hour window vs the average for that window (to detect high usage and I assume low usage days)

Yeah hes right, and its nice to see the in day adjustment window clarified, i need to tinker a little based on that

So your savings sessions saving is flexed based on your 10 day average and then a daily demand flex adjustment to your 10 day average based on that 3 hour window vs the average for that window (to detect high usage and I assume low usage days)
Nearly, 10 day average for the two hour session but only on the day of the session for the 3 hours window. Apparently there is an algorithm that varies the benefit based on 1, 2, 3 hours etc session - in this case it works on around 2/3 of the usage difference.

Back
Top Bottom