Sony WF-1000XM3

Soldato
Need to buy some new IEM's but fancy getting a bluetooth set, are these worth £179? I usually use Shure IEM's with custom tips, but I assume these will be pretty good with the NC vs. the better fitting tips I currently use.

I hate the fact you can't audition IEM's anywhere, and have to commit to them deaf, so to speak.
You can get Jaybird Vistas direct from them and they have 30 day money back guarantee. Mine arrived yesterday and they are brilliant!

Soldato
I'm currentl giving the noise cancellation a good test - I had to come do some data centre maintenance and as usual for these places they're faily noisy enviroments so rather than use ear plugs I'm using the XF-1000XM3's and they're doing a superb job. I can't hear any of the DC noise over the music I'm listening to.

Soldato
OP
I'm currentl giving the noise cancellation a good test - I had to come do some data centre maintenance and as usual for these places they're faily noisy enviroments so rather than use ear plugs I'm using the XF-1000XM3's and they're doing a superb job. I can't hear any of the DC noise over the music I'm listening to.
It is pretty phenomenal when you switch the noise cancellation to the max.

Soldato
Good to know, I’m over at one of our DCs this week I never bother with ear plugs but I should really, will have a test

Associate
Hi all,

Just wanted to add my six pence worth - just picked up a pair of these to replace my wired Bose QC20 earphones (stolen on the Paris Metro last week). Overall sound quality is not bad - mid and treble are pretty good. You have to really screw them in to get any bass though as the seal isn't as good as the Bose and the bass itself is fairly monotone (this is probably the area where the Bose win out IMO). They're very good at separating instruments out in a mix without being over analytical.
Overall I'd say it's a tie - much more punch to the Bose but better voice / separation on the Sony (I'm not a bass fanatic I just want to hear my music as it was intended).

Noise cancelling - will give them a proper trial tomorrow at work (I'm a manager in TfL so I use the tube a lot) but so far I think they're as good as the Bose from my limited trials. They don't have as good a pass through function as the Bose though.

Bad points - google assistant is absolutely useless - it failed to identify a single song I asked it to play (this was with an iPad and an iPhone - wasn't able to check it with an Android device as my only Android device was stolen with my earphones).

There's a major problem for anyone using these with a laptop or PC without an intel Bluetooth chip - basically at best you're going to have a mono headset at worst (like me) you'll have no audio at all. I've got a Surface Pro arriving on Thursday (work) so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. Sony say they will be updating the firmware before end of the month so fingers crossed.

Oh and the Sony Connect app is pretty poor - it really doesn't tell you how best to set up your earphones.

Finally if you want these in Black the only retailer who seems to have them readily available surprisingly is Argos - I ordered mine at 10 pm Saturday and picked them up at 10 am Sunday so not bad going (something I never thought I'd say about argos).

Soldato
Hi all,

Just wanted to add my six pence worth - just picked up a pair of these to replace my wired Bose QC20 earphones (stolen on the Paris Metro last week). Overall sound quality is not bad - mid and treble are pretty good. You have to really screw them in to get any bass though as the seal isn't as good as the Bose and the bass itself is fairly monotone (this is probably the area where the Bose win out IMO). They're very good at separating instruments out in a mix without being over analytical.
Overall I'd say it's a tie - much more punch to the Bose but better voice / separation on the Sony (I'm not a bass fanatic I just want to hear my music as it was intended).

Noise cancelling - will give them a proper trial tomorrow at work (I'm a manager in TfL so I use the tube a lot) but so far I think they're as good as the Bose from my limited trials. They don't have as good a pass through function as the Bose though.

Bad points - google assistant is absolutely useless - it failed to identify a single song I asked it to play (this was with an iPad and an iPhone - wasn't able to check it with an Android device as my only Android device was stolen with my earphones).

There's a major problem for anyone using these with a laptop or PC without an intel Bluetooth chip - basically at best you're going to have a mono headset at worst (like me) you'll have no audio at all. I've got a Surface Pro arriving on Thursday (work) so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. Sony say they will be updating the firmware before end of the month so fingers crossed.

Oh and the Sony Connect app is pretty poor - it really doesn't tell you how best to set up your earphones.

Finally if you want these in Black the only retailer who seems to have them readily available surprisingly is Argos - I ordered mine at 10 pm Saturday and picked them up at 10 am Sunday so not bad going (something I never thought I'd say about argos).
Mate did you try different size earbuds? they come with multiple sizes. it sounds like you are using the wrong ones

Soldato
Just been on the phone to Sony support for the last 20 mins, went through everything that i had basically tried before calling them, they will contact me Wednesday with an update on the next steps.

Although I know nothing will get fixed until the Connect app is updated, she did ask if I had an Android phone I could test on which I don't as all my device and the family's are iPhone's

I'm going to sit tight but not wait for months for the app to be updated, I might return them and get something else in the meantime :(

Soldato
So does this class as a refundable item, lady at the JL show said they aren’t able to accept earphone returns, unless they are faulty, does a broken app class as a fault

Since they're truly wireless, it may be that they suffering from intermittent connection issues, and as such they are not fit for purpose so they are faulty and John Lewis need to accept a return.

Then promptly go ahead and buy a different set from somewhere else to see if you're having the same issue as your main issue!

Soldato
Since they're truly wireless, it may be that they suffering from intermittent connection issues, and as such they are not fit for purpose so they are faulty and John Lewis need to accept a return.

Then promptly go ahead and buy a different set from somewhere else to see if you're having the same issue as your main issue!
I'll see what gem Sony Support come back with tomorrow, I have just tried to add them to a friends iPhone at work and still the same issue

Can anyone who has an iPhone that is actually using these please confirm on here please :D with IOS version and app version too

So I know I'm not going mad!!!

Soldato
OP
I'll see what gem Sony Support come back with tomorrow, I have just tried to add them to a friends iPhone at work and still the same issue

Can anyone who has an iPhone that is actually using these please confirm on here please :D with IOS version and app version too

So I know I'm not going mad!!!
I’m running these on an iPhone 6 with iOS 12.4.

Sony app version 5.2.0.

I can test these on an iPhone 7s on the latest iOS this weekend if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom