Sony WF-1000XM3

Soldato
I’m running these on an iPhone 6 with iOS 12.4.

Sony app version 5.2.0.

I can test these on an iPhone 7s on the latest iOS this weekend if that helps.

Thanks @delta0 I tried this on my sons iPhone 6 (12.4) and installed the Sony Connect 5.2.0 and it did the same thing, so maybe the earphones are faulty, if anyone else can confirm I'd be grateful

Soldato
Can anyone who has an iPhone that is actually using these please confirm on here please :D with IOS version and app version too

I'm using them with my iPhone XS and iPhone 7, both running iOS 12.4 and version 5.2.0 of the Sony Headphones app. It's worked perfectly for me on both iPhones and on my iPad Pro.

Soldato
OK I have now returned them to John Lewis as faulty, they had none in stock so gave me a store/online credit!

It left a bad taste in my mouth now as I'm now dubious about getting another set and going though this issue again, time to have a think

Soldato
OK I have now returned them to John Lewis as faulty, they had none in stock so gave me a store/online credit!

It left a bad taste in my mouth now as I'm now dubious about getting another set and going though this issue again, time to have a think
At least you got to send it back. Hopefully your future sets will be alright.

Associate
Update after 2 days use during commuting etc.

Pros - sound quality is still good - had another play with the seal / tip sizes and the bass has improved considerably. It's still "woollier" than I'd like but much improved.

Cons - they are quite poor when walking - you get a bass thud when walking on hard floors (almost like a microphonic effect). They are awful at dealing with wind noise even when you switch to the dedicated setting on the app (this has been noted on quite a few reviews - the pickups are quite exposed due to the design).

More seriously for me is that on my set the right earpiece tends to cut out quite frequently if I'm moving. Experimenting seems to show disconnecting and reconnecting to the Bluetooth source seems to cure this temporarily. I suspect it the LE Bluetooth connection interfering / not latching on strong enough (the LE is low energy).
And the noise reduction seems to mostly be isolation not noise reduction - it's there but it's not a patch on the effect from my Bose. Don't get me wrong these are really good for commuting - just not convinced it's the electronics more that they have really good isolation with a good seal.

If you'd asked me last night I would have said they were definitely going back but now I've worked out how to make the connection more stable I'm in two minds - when they work they're really nice but they're a bit high maintenance. Going to give them a week or so and make a final decision (got 30 day return on them).
On and I finally decided on 2nd largest foam for the tips as best combo of seal and comfort (they tend to make my left ear hurt after an hour or so).

Soldato
OP
I used these on a flight on Monday. They made a big difference to reducing noise. Not only did it cut out the noise of the aircraft it also cut out the crying baby 3 seats away in the same row. I could still hear a little wind/engine noise but it was very quiet. I managed to sleep despite all the noise.

Soldato

Surely they have to give a refund as opposed to store credit ?

Soldato
Surely they have to give a refund as opposed to store credit ?
I don't mind, I try to buy from JL when I can (price dependent of course) for the 2 years warranty

I'll be brutally honest and say the XM3's were a bit of a let down, not only the app connection part but the fitting into my ear channel I tried all combinations but none felt totally secure, maybe I just had a bad one off but I'm going to get the Bose QCII's and get a cheap SoundPeats for the gym

Associate
How would these fare in the gym? I've only used earphones with wings on them for that extra secure fit. Without the wings on these, they look like they'd fall right out after a rep or two of deadlifts. Looking to get new gym earphones.

Soldato
How would these fare in the gym? I've only used earphones with wings on them for that extra secure fit. Without the wings on these, they look like they'd fall right out after a rep or two of deadlifts. Looking to get new gym earphones.
As far as I can see they're not water or sweat proof, so maybe that's asking for trouble

Soldato
I used mine in the gym and they didn’t feel secure and one actually fell out, I went through a few different rubber sizes but as secure as they felt when I placed them in they soon became loose, plus as people have said they aren’t listed as sweat/water resistant

Associate
As far as I can see they're not water or sweat proof, so maybe that's asking for trouble
I think they'd be fine since I've noticed that around my ears stay completely dry.

I used mine in the gym and they didn’t feel secure and one actually fell out, I went through a few different rubber sizes but as secure as they felt when I placed them in they soon became loose, plus as people have said they aren’t listed as sweat/water resistant
That's a shame. Was really wanting to pick up a pair of these.

Back
Top Bottom