Sony Xperia 5 II

Has anybody noticed any issues with Ambient Display (Always-on display) ?

It keeps showing me the album art of the last played track; even if the app (Apple Music or Amazon Music) is not even on. Whenever I get a notification, it shows me that I have two messenger notifications, but I don't. The messenger things happens to my partner's Xperia 5 II as well which is odd.

Can anyone help me with some security settings on this phone?

I'm checking over stuff, (just in case the phone gets nicked or lost) and I cant seem to find a way to restrict access to certain toggles in the pull down notification shade when the phone is locked.

Example: From a locked status I can awake the phone (still locked) pull down the menu and turn off wifi/data/bluetooth but not location/roaming etc..

This seems totally crazy, as without wifi or data, I cant find my phone if lost or stolen. I've just tested this using Googles Find my Phone page.

On my last two Samsung phones, there was no access to change these settings unless the phone had been unlocked/pin entered. So made finding the phone possible unless it was turned totally off.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers.

Oh and As a work around, I've just unlocked the phone and edited the notification toggles, to remove wifi/mobile data/airplane/and bluetooth toggles.. Which isnt ideal.

I disabled Ambient Display as it is useless when it can't show the correct notifications. I get trolled by it showing me I've got messages, only to unlock the phone and see nothing.

On the subject of security this is worrying that without unlocking the phone you can disable data and wifi. Can't find anything online regarding this.

I just took it as common sense, until I actually tried it. And I know for definite my last two Samsungs didnt allow this to happen.

The thing is, I dont know if this is an Android thing, and Samsung just add their own tweaks, or if Sony have totally missed the ball on this.

Either way it needs fixing.

I dont have anything 'stock' Android like the Sony I can test with, as the others in my house use Apple :rolleyes:

Because that would stop you locating the phone if someone stole it. Sony doesn't seem to have it's own dedicated portal, just Google's find my phone.

On Samsung phones you need to unlock the phone (pin/fingerprint) to be able to turn these off.

Got a tasty deal so picked this up second hand, will see how I get on with it over next few weeks.

Am I tripping though or there's no native gallery app and I have to use Google Photos?

No problem per se, just found it a little odd that likes of Sony don't have a native gallery app at all, swear there was one when I briefly had Xperia 1.

Little disappoiting to see quite a few niggles remain from my time with Xperia 1 but one area you can't fault is the speed of the phone, between being a generation newer than my S10+ (plus Snapdargon vs Exynos) and 120Hz display the thing feels butter smooth to use.

Jury out on the camera as hasn't had a chance to properly test it yet, plus definitely need to learn to use the Pro app more as default camera still suffers from poor dynamic range in high contrast scenes and HDR only available in Pro mode.

As before, prefer the colours coming out the camera much more than Samsung's oversaturated social media look though, almost has that film like look which I really like.

Google photos is really bad for viewing stuff that isn't the pictures you take on your phone. Things like screenshots or images you download, everything seems to be an extra tap or two away. The gallery app I have is far more function over form, and also rotates with the phone when auto rotate is disabled which means I don't have to flip full phone rotate on and off a whole bunch.

Plus they keep changing the layout. My muscle memory of hitting top left to open the menu (like many other apps) now takes you straight to a thing selling photo books. Settings tries to sell storage, editing tries to sell a filter dynamic enhancements.

I like photos for the backups, search and sharing with my family but it's not a good "I want to look at this image on my phone" app.

Jury out on the camera as hasn't had a chance to properly test it yet, plus definitely need to learn to use the Pro app more as default camera still suffers from poor dynamic range in high contrast scenes and HDR only available in Pro mode.

As before, prefer the colours coming out the camera much more than Samsung's oversaturated social media look though, almost has that film like look which I really like.

One of my daughters got married on Saturday and she asked everybody to send their photo's into a WhatsApp group. There was every kind of phone at that wedding and I can honestly say the Xperia 5ii pictures were the best taken on the normal camera app.

One of my daughters got married on Saturday and she asked everybody to send their photo's into a WhatsApp group. There was every kind of phone at that wedding and I can honestly say the Xperia 5ii pictures were the best taken on the normal camera app.

It's really just Sony's reluctance/insistance on not putting HDR mode into default camera app that's a bit puzzling, results are night and day between that and auto settings in Pro app in shots with high dynamic range.

That also shows up badly in apps like Snapchat, Facebook messenger, etc and not sure how a lack of dedicated night mode going to pan out as haven't had a go at that yet. Also can't see any kind of slow motion video options apart from 120FPS in Cinema Pro unless I'm missing something?

Back
Top Bottom