Poll: Spanish Grand Prix 2018, Barcelona - Race 5/21

Rate the 2018 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
DIfferent tires work on different tracks, Ferrari's softs, mediums and supersofts overheated more than Mercedes or RBR, so why wouldn't hards overheated well? They work tires harder, full stop. What you seem to be saying is, changing tires so three types don't overheat for most people is cheating, but picking poor choice tires so Ferrari (in theory) don't have overheating problems is the correct choice? Fact is the hards and superhards are going to be used almost nowhere because they are slow as hell tires and actually I'd bet that here the lack of abrasiveness would have worked very very poorly on the hard/superhard.
well we won't know either way but IMO it would have been better

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Pirelli’s decision to modify the tyres came from feedback from multiple teams. Mercedes being one, Red Bull another... stop calling it Pirelli Mercedes because you’re just making yourself look foolish.

I haven’t voted yet as I haven’t watched the GP but I sense a 9 or 10 rating because Merc won ;)

Associate
Indeed, the reason they've been changed is that the Spanish, British and French Grand Prix tracks have all been resurfaced. The issue is that the new surfaces are so smooth that heat isn't generated into the core of the tyre, so they just overheat the surface and blister right down to the carcass. In an effort to stop this Pirelli removed 0.4mm of tread, so the tyre can reach its (very narrow) working temperature better through the core of the rubber and not blister.

The issue Ferrari had was that they just wore down the tread and so had to pit more. The irony is on the pre-change tyres they'd have probably blistered them more than the other teams due to getting heat into them so easily.

At the end of the day I don't think their drop in pace was due to the tyres, as they were about as far off Mercedes in the Barcelona tests too. Its probably just that the Mercedes likes fast corners more and when we get back to tracks like Monaco it'll be back to normal service.

Caporegime
Yup, exactly, the reduced tread probably helped Ferrari more than anyone. Personally I doubt Ferrari had to pit the second time due to tire wear, I think they are using that as an excuse, we didn't totally **** ourselves out of an easy second place... we had to pit again and we did well to get 4th.

Man of Honour
Hmm. Maybe. I've not seen replays but watching at the time it seemed like clear cut clumsiness from Max.

The light board in front of Stroll was still yellow when Max hit him. Yellow flags is drive slow and be prepared to stop, and also no overtaking of course. Literally no excuse for driving into someone. Why Max just floored it, I don't know. Too much assumption I guess.

Caporegime
Yup, exactly, the reduced tread probably helped Ferrari more than anyone. Personally I doubt Ferrari had to pit the second time due to tire wear, I think they are using that as an excuse, we didn't totally **** ourselves out of an easy second place... we had to pit again and we did well to get 4th.

Agreed.
They just made a bad call

Man of Honour
At the end of the day I don't think their drop in pace was due to the tyres, as they were about as far off Mercedes in the Barcelona tests too. Its probably just that the Mercedes likes fast corners more and when we get back to tracks like Monaco it'll be back to normal service.

Mercedes will struggle again in Monaco. It is looking very similar to last season again at the moment though. Should be a close championship. It'll come down to reliability at the end.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Who voted a 10? Who even voted 4+?

It was an absolute procession. I would hate to see a 1 or 2 race under these guys' scales.
Click on the number of votes, and you can see who! I sense someone trying to be funny.

Soldato
I went with a 7. The Spanish GP is never exciting but I'm just happy Hamilton got the win and Vettel came 4th. 17 points is nice to see, no idea how long it'll last though!

Soldato
Pirelli’s decision to modify the tyres came from feedback from multiple teams. Mercedes being one, Red Bull another... stop calling it Pirelli Mercedes because you’re just making yourself look foolish.

I haven’t voted yet as I haven’t watched the GP but I sense a 9 or 10 rating because Merc won ;)

regarding redbull

The decision has irked some teams in the paddock, with McLaren and Red Bull both stating on record that they have had no issues whatsoever with blistering

http://www.planetf1.com/news/pirelli-agree-to-mercedes-tyre-demands/

Back
Top Bottom