Speakers for my new dedicated room have arrived lads!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
That could be seriously good. I've really enjoyed all the bigger JBLs I've heard over the years. The visuals are a bit marmite, but there's nothing wrong with how they sound. Can't say that the amp appears to be in same league, but that's another matter.

Associate
OP
That could be seriously good. I've really enjoyed all the bigger JBLs I've heard over the years. The visuals are a bit marmite, but there's nothing wrong with how they sound. Can't say that the amp appears to be in same league, but that's another matter.

That's signs setup. The JBL will be driven by a Cinepro 3k6 and Arcam 390 processor.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
sorry got side tracked after seeing the ad for the pb16 ultra . what a subwoofer :eek:

What was that you were saying about avoiding reference level? the JBLs seem an odd choice if you are not interested in RL - dynamics is one of their strengths, no?

Probably listen -10 below reference, have to see how it goes after treating my room. Depends how fatiguing I find it. Yes I bought them for their dynamics, huge sound stage and mid bass attack. I'm sure they will be lots of fun just below reference level.

House is detached btw.

Soldato
Probably listen -10 below reference, have to see how it goes after treating my room. Depends how fatiguing I find it. Yes I bought them for their dynamics, huge sound stage and mid bass attack. I'm sure they will be lots of fun just below reference level.

House is detached btw.

With that setup it won't matter, the neighbours will still hear it:D.

Associate
:rolleyes: ok mate, you think I bought these without any research?

To be honest I can see koolpc's point though he was abrasive with it.

You later mention 5m by 3m odd in size for the cinema room? But do not mention the research you did that concluded three 15" drivers can sit in a 3m or 5m width and provide optimal channel seperation over a smaller model. It's the sort of listening room a pair of stand mounted hifi speakers with 6" or 8" main drivers would suffice in.

Personally I also see three JBL 3677 as a little on the large side for that size of listening environment, my last large cinema set up was in a room about 20m+ square with 7 identical speakers, similar in size to what you have chosen, all identical units from CV with 15" main drivers, and we found the surrounds just too large and intrusive, we changed to JBL dropping down to smaller models with 12" drivers for surround duties with 2x15 for the front stereo pair with two 15" models in parallel for the center and dual 15" subs. (the subs never really did it for me and I had planned on two 36" Tuba HT's)

Our amps were the Denon DN-500AV driving Yamaha P series PA power amps, 3500/5000/7000 and a couple of P3200's later changed to another 3500/5000 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
To be honest I can see koolpc's point though he was abrasive with it.

You later mention 5m by 3m odd in size? But do not mention the research you did that concluded three 15" drivers can sit in a 3m or 5m width and provide optimal channel seperation over a smaller model.

Personally I also see three JBL 3677 as a little on the large side for that size of listening environment, my last large cinema set up was in a room about 20m+ square with 7 identical speakers, similar in size to what you have chosen, all identical units from CV with 15" main drivers, and we found the surrounds just too large and intrusive, we changed to JBL dropping down to smaller models with 12" drivers for surround duties with 2x15 for the front stereo pair with two 15" models in parallel for the center and dual 15" subs. (the subs never really did it for me and I had planned on two 36" Tuba HT's)

Our amps were the Denon DN-500AV driving Yamaha P series PA power amps, 3500/5000/7000 and a couple of P3200's later changed to another 3500/5000 if I remember correctly.

Have a read of this thread.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/j-b-l-pro-cinema-3677-at-home.1938126/

There are a few jbl owners In similar sized rooms.

Associate
I have seen the threads, seen many a cinema room with near mono sound spread from three huge speakers barely a meter apart. Doesnt do it for me, fact is in that size of room they are not really going to acheive anything a smaller model would not.

There are many young lads out there with large 2x15 speakers in their bedrooms hooked up to budget Warrior PA amps and a mixer, but they absolutely suck ass and sound appaling with two point sources acting like a mono source due to being so close and boomy.

Ive seen a lot in past years too, though it has been years since I was into stereo systems and theater builds and PA.

For a normal stereo I cant stand less than 2m between speakers, and like to be further from the speakers than their distance.

What we were using in a 20m odd square room was overkill apart from the subs. We never seen clipping and the amps barely registered levels on the LED's. And we watched action movies metalica concerts and all sorts. Everyone who visited said it sounded better than the cinema, but for me it was too reflective, bass lacked, and we needed to drop the surrounds in size and placement to get that air and seperation.

Room treatment of course will be heavy yes?

As you can see in many home cinema set ups with big speakers, its not actually the speaker fitting the job, but software and room EQ getting it to do the job because they sound poor with no EQ, even though some smaller model would do it just as well with less EQ and treatment.

PS dont get me wrong, im sure with a bit or room treatment and EQ it will sound amazing, but the reality is that it's a lot for a 5m by 3m room. Three 15" drivers up front around 1m apart with a twin 18" driver sub. What are your surrounds and ceiling speakers?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
3.3m width is ample space for seperation imo, they're not that much wider than large floor standing speakers. Don't plan on lots of room treatment, just first reflection points to begin with and maybe some at the rear.

I bought these speakers because they are only 11" deep and perfect for use behind an AT Screen. Can you name me 3 LCR speakers that will perform better at the price? They are obviously only suitable for dedicated rooms where you can hide them properly.

Will they perform better than my previous KK Sound Q125 Quattro Speakers with 5" drivers? I should hope so and if they don't, it has only cost me £600 to find out.

Ive spoken with someone who has compared them in his home to MK300 speakers that cost over 2k each and he prefered the JBLs.

I'm using KK TriFX surrounds and XTZ S2 heights. I may get the in ceiling version of the S2's. I've had 12" subwoofers for years and fancied a change with the larger PSA sub. Eventually I plan on a 7.1.4 setup, but for now it will be 5.1.4.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom