Speakers for my new dedicated room have arrived lads!

Soldato
Just be wary of adding too many speakers, more is not better in a properley setup environment. You say you plan to do 7.1.4 in the end so adding two rear speakers, but rear speakers only work well if you have a few feet at least between them and your listening position. If you don't have enough space don't add more, a properley setup 5.1 system will sound better than a poorly setup 7.1 one.

Otherwise sounds glorious ;)

I still say 16:9 - all IMAX content is 16:9 and you appreciate the size much more then. You have a decent projector so black levels won't be a problem for the borders. Yes 2.35:1 is very cinematic but you will be annoyed at the 16:9 scenes or any shows you watch due to the smaller screen size :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just be wary of adding too many speakers, more is not better in a properley setup environment. You say you plan to do 7.1.4 in the end so adding two rear speakers, but rear speakers only work well if you have a few feet at least between them and your listening position. If you don't have enough space don't add more, a properley setup 5.1 system will sound better than a poorly setup 7.1 one.

Otherwise sounds glorious ;)

I still say 16:9 - all IMAX content is 16:9 and you appreciate the size much more then. You have a decent projector so black levels won't be a problem for the borders. Yes 2.35:1 is very cinematic but you will be annoyed at the 16:9 scenes or any shows you watch due to the smaller screen size :p

Hi Rich,

Yes I'm aware of that and that bass response isn't good with seating right at rear of room. Back speakers will be around 1. 5m from MLP.

I don't think I mentioned my PJ, but yes, it's decent one. I have a JVC x700. So what size 16:9? I could go 130" but I'm worried that might be too big?

Regarding the black borders, I can notice them in my non dedicated white walled temporary room at moment but black walls and planned devore around Screen area should help. I'm seriously considering an in between 2.00:1 screen at moment. Just had some AT material samples from Seymour before I make a decision on what screen to buy. :)

Soldato
I'll keep banging the drum for 2.35:1 :p. Once you go scope you don't go back, all you need to know :). The amount of 1.85:1 movies is tiny in comparison and are generally the type of films that do not warrant a cinema experience anyway, iMAX editions excluded.

2.00:1 is a good compromise, though I'd probably make some borders from whatever left over room treatment material you have left otherwise you will 100% see the borders.

Soldato
The difference for me is, 16:9 content being 'small' is fine. It's TV, it's gaming, it's sport etc. However putting a film on and it not being massive, is unacceptable :p.

You know that cool feeling you get in the cinema after the adverts where the curtains open even wider and the screen is EVEN BIGGER for the main event - that's what you're after IMO.

Associate
i was in the same boat as you mate , that's why i added the TV lift for games and bought a 65" Panasonic for the main living area :D

Soldato
Ah the old aspect ratio debate lol

As mentioned above (but in relation to 16:9) make some custom black satin/velvet strips to cover the black borders that you can quickly hang up, or even have it so they are at one end to be pulled across and hooked on.

I am assuming you have the same width screen regardless of either 16:9 or 2.35:1 as its fitting an area? The only reason I would settle for smaller is to make the neck craning less if you feel your looking up too much. If you are going to have a TV in there as well then will only be watching exclusively 2.35:1 content on there its fair enough but if you will be using a combo of source material you will regret things like Interstellar IMAX scenes on a piddly 98" 16:9 :p

Associate
OP
I think 130" 16:9 will be a little too big from around 3m. I think it's between the following :-

ECA115 Precision Frame - 2.0
Frame Dimensions: 120.4" x 62.9"
Image Dimensions: 115" x 57.5"
Frame: $1,059
Shipping: $150
Total: $1209

EF115XS - Precision Frame - 2.35:1 Ratio - 115'' wide image - XD screen material
Image Size: 115'' x 48.9''
Outer Frame Dimensions: 120.4'' x 54.3''
Screen Price: $1021
Shipping $150 (Shipping with FedEx Express Economy.)
Total $1171 (Excluding import taxes or other import fees.)

:)

I probably won't watch that much tv in there tbh, only stuff missus won't watch with me in lounge.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are a bit DIY you could get the material for much cheaper if you fancied DIY'ing a frame yourself. Plenty of info over at https://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors-screens-video-processors.43/ if you wanted to dive deeper, and also probably enough info to help you decide on which AR.

What AV receiver btw? Think I missed it.

Aaand do you have a set position for the sub or are you going to do the 'crawl test'? :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you are a bit DIY you could get the material for much cheaper if you fancied DIY'ing a frame yourself. Plenty of info over at https://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors-screens-video-processors.43/ if you wanted to dive deeper, and also probably enough info to help you decide on which AR.

What AV receiver btw? Think I missed it.

Aaand do you have a set position for the sub or are you going to do the 'crawl test'? :D

Arcam 390 and cinepro 3k6. Gonna try sub in rear corner first.

Soldato
I quite like JBL speakers. Years ago, I sat in a Demo room at Live 98 & the latest James Bond DVD at the time (Tomorrow Never Dies) sound setup was a JBL Synthesis. I was very impressed. Despite their price, I do like the Control 1 speakers too & have recommended them in the past having never owned a pair. :p

Back
Top Bottom