Spec me a Barbecue

Soldato
I need a new charcoal bbq, i use the current one about 2-3 times a week when its warm. I have had a 57cm kettle one with ash catcher for about 5 years from b&q. The trolley type with the wooden shelf to one side and a charcoal bin under a granite slab. The problem i have is the equivalent weber ones (performer model) are £350+ as im not keen on not having a shelf area and a charcoal store bin.

Any other charcoal ones at least 57cm worth looking at brand wise or is it kind of weber or nothing?

Soldato
Wow this sort of thread is dangerous! :D

Reading through it looks like winter time is the best time to buy a BBQ for biggest discounts. At the moment I have a homebase own brand charcoal BBQ which we've had for about 5 years and its getting long in the tooth, it has a built in thermometer in the lid but I'm not sure how reliable it is now as its been stored outside over winter with no cover. It will probably see out the rest of the summer so I was thinking of replacing it with one of these weber one touch premiums ready for next year.

Anybody know when we will start to see discounts applied over the winter months? Is it best to buy Autumn time when retailers have unsold stock they want rid of or do they get cheaper the further into winter we get?

Thanks in advance :cool:

Tea Drinker
Don
My new BBQ

Smoking-Gun-BBQ.jpg

Soldato
Just ordered 23kg in total.

15kg Apple, and 8kg of Cherry!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260810380786&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

German eBay!

Also, all the components to this: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35674-HeaterMeter-v4-0-for-RaspberyPi-Standalone

Should be making their way here, too. I just need to order some temp probs. As there are different sections to the BBQ I'm going to "zone" out the areas with sensors, so hopefully I can control them differently. Should be a fun challenge.

Caporegime
OP
I got myself a smoke probe thermometer.

Now, do you think it would work if I just stick it in the vent hole at the top to monitor the temp or would it be best if I drill a hole for the probe on the opposite side of the lid from the vents?

Obviously I prefer the former than the latter. Just wondering how accurate it would be if the probe is near the vents. It can't be that much different surely seeing hot air is leaving the vent and not the other way round?

Back
Top Bottom