Spec me a Barbecue

Tea Drinker
Don
Agree with over smoking easy to do and tastes 'orrible

Done it a few times when out of charcoal and ended up using logs, you've git to chop them up small and let them go white or just cook directly.

Man of Honour
Do you seal the meat with direct heat before moving it across?

How do you get rid of the wood after an hour?

It depends what you are cooking, steaks/burgers yes. Just like frying in pan then transferring to the oven in the kitchen.

Pulled pork,mains etc no

The wood burns up, just stop adding more when you are happy with the smoke amount (hard to judge when you first start)

Man of Honour
If you're looking to get as much smoke flavour as possible I would recommend against sealing first. Meat/etc absorbs the smoke flavour the most whilst it it cold and uncooked. Char your food up at the end for the best results.

Saw the B&Q one again, it'll work but I got these in the end.

Jack Daniels wood is just for fun :p

MM0mHkIl.jpg

Very nice haul. Personally I found the JD wood chips to not be great. I got a much nicer flavour with some applewood (or whatever) chips/chunks bought from the below link:

http://www.gardenxl.com/weber-barbecue-apple-chunks-5lb

Pretty sure that they were on a better offer when I bought them but tbh even if they weren't the two bags of wood chunks I bought have lasted through at least 10 BBQs, perhaps more like 15...and there's still enough left for several more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Smoking is fun, I went for 4 1/2 hours on Saturday at around 230F. It needed a couple more hours (I ran out of time) to be really tender. Still yummy though, the smoke ring was awesome! Getting the temp stable is a bit of a 'mare at first, but it's fun tweaking the vents.

This is what arrived for me last week :)

BBQ by jj_glos, on Flickr

The chimney starter is dead useful once it gets going.

Caporegime
I tend to use a gas BBQ for convenience: walk in form work, turn on BBQ, go to fridge and grab beer + burger/Sausage/steak/chicken, walk back to BBQ and throw on the now hot grill. I BBQ about 3-4 days a week right through the year, in fact in winter I tend to BBQ more than in summer.

Nothing beats a good smoker but I just don't have time for that, work through the week and out all day most weekends.

Back
Top Bottom