Spec me a Barbecue

Man of Honour
Caporegime
See look here comes the gas boys convincing themselves their outdoor oven is better :p

No, not at all. Much prefer charcoal, but A gasBBQ is ready in under a minute and works out much cheaper to run.i have several coal BBQs I use from time, and that is fine if you grill a lot of food every few weeks over the summer months. But I grill several times a week 12 months of the year, and often just a single chicken breast or burger, would cost a fortune with charcoal.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But charcoal is ready in under 20mins, there's always prep work to do. Be it slicing veg or going to the shop or whatever. I don't see how waiting that short period is a hassle. There's always stuff to so before cooking.

Cost is a fair one, its not cheap.

Caporegime
But charcoal is ready in under 20mins, there's always prep work to do. Be it slicing veg or going to the shop or whatever. I don't see how waiting that short period is a hassle. There's always stuff to so before cooking.

In 20 minutes I have come home, cooked, eaten, cleaned and left the apartment again! The cooking time is used for prep work, but I don't do anything fancy normally, just a raw carrot I wash, chunk of pepper.

Anyway, don't want to veer off topic, as I said I love charcoal but if you grill frequently and only small amounts (a single burger) then a gas grill works out much more convenient and is tastier than frying.

I rarely clean the BBQ beyond scraping the grill, the fat and detritus collect at the bottom and get caught on fire. The fat from chicken wings is sufficient that the gas is only contributing part of the energy source in fact and the end product tastes much the same as charcoal. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't actually cook properly that often, so if I do, it's nice to make an effort, an extra 15 min to light it is fine.

Although at winter I suspect I'll use it less since by the time I get home it'll be pitch black.

I actually tend to BBQ more in winter for some reason, that is when the convenience of a gas BBQ really helps. Turn a knob, grab venison sausage from fridge and whack it on.

ATM I also only have 2 large balconies so a gas BBQ seems safer as I can turn it off at the bottle and have much less spitting embers etc.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

You're missing the point. If I'm cooking a meal that involves lots of prep work, I'm going to fire up the charcoal. The gas is for quick, small stuff like a burger or a couple of sausages or the like. If I'm doing a burger the only prep work is to take the burger from the fridge, slap it on the BBQ, slice open a bun and open a Dairylea cheese slice.

Soldato
:p Oh the gas-v-coal is always fun.

The way I view it is that if you see BBQ as an extension of your kitchen for everyday cooking then gas is quicker and generally more convenient. If it tends to be used occasionally then charcoal has it's benefits and is more manly ofc. :p

I'm always a fan of grilling fish outside especially things like trout fillets, much less stinky in the house :p

I rarely clean the BBQ beyond scraping the grill, the fat and detritus collect at the bottom and get caught on fire. The fat from chicken wings is sufficient that the gas is only contributing part of the energy source in fact and the end product tastes much the same as charcoal. :D
Haha that reminds me after cooking a load of ribs, the following time I fired up the BBQ to heat it up, opened up the hood to be greeted by a blazing fat-fueled inferno from all the rib drippings :D

Although at winter I suspect I'll use it less since by the time I get home it'll be pitch black.
Headtorch lol!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yeah as long as the gays stick to their bicycles lycra houmous and gas bbq's and out my 6cyl petrol fired charcoal meat eating I'm fine

Hummus is nice - as long as it's accompanied by charred flesh :p

And you can keep your bicycles. I'll stick with my mid-engined, rear wheel drive sports car ;)

For the record, nobody here has said gas barbecues are better than charcoal. All that has been said is that, under certain circumstances, they're more practical. Perhaps not as good as charcoal but still better than a frying pan or an electric grill.

Man of Honour
Hummus is nice - as long as it's accompanied by charred flesh :p

And you can keep your bicycles. I'll stick with my mid-engined, rear wheel drive sports car ;)

For the record, nobody here has said gas barbecues are better than charcoal. All that has been said is that, under certain circumstances, they're more practical. Perhaps not as good as charcoal but still better than a frying pan or an electric grill.

Whoa, slow down a sec. Are you trying to say that gas is better than coal?! :p

I agree with humous being awesome. I love the stuff...especially with roasted red pepper /nom.

27kg of smoking pellets and 50kg of charcoal arrived yesterday. Should last the weekend:p

Nice! How much did that cost you?

Back
Top Bottom