Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
I just don't get why you want cameras indoors recording you and what you do in your own home is the point I'm getting at.

They are supposed to deter thieves. So placing them outside in prominent locations where they can see them is best.
If you don't own your own home
Some landlords wont allow you to fix cameras to the exterior
Of the property:(

anyone know if the nest qi indoor cameras will auto start up and work when switched on? the reason i ask is that was discussing with my partner tonight about getting a few external and maybe internal cameras and she said she fell like she was forever being watched by the camera so not comfortable at home. i agree with that feeling, so was thinking of having a timer so that it's totally unpowered until say midnight and then hoping when power is given it auto starts up, connects to wifi, starts recording and goes to the nest aware cloud etc.

will it work like this?

Soldato
Not sure what you would want internal cameras in your own home. I totally get a ‘nanny cam’ on an infants cot and in a shed, garage or outbuilding but I just don’t see why you would want them inside.

Most burglaries also happen during the day when people are at work so putting them on only at night is not the best idea.

Soldato
We put a lot of cameras just inside external access doors so you can see who is coming and going but very rarely fit anything actually inside a home. Offices we cover 100% except changing rooms and toilets.

Obviously you do get people who have more exotic requirements and we have been asked to install cameras around/over beds on more than one occasion.

Caporegime
anyone know if the nest qi indoor cameras will auto start up and work when switched on? the reason i ask is that was discussing with my partner tonight about getting a few external and maybe internal cameras and she said she fell like she was forever being watched by the camera so not comfortable at home. i agree with that feeling, so was thinking of having a timer so that it's totally unpowered until say midnight and then hoping when power is given it auto starts up, connects to wifi, starts recording and goes to the nest aware cloud etc.

will it work like this?

you don't need internal cameras at all pretty pointless. or stick them where the entry points are facing the entry points. not in the living room facing the couch, etc.

Soldato
Quick question currently have 4 camers 2 front 2 back . I 'm going to upgrade the 2 front to 4k ColorVu . My drive is 8m to the start of the pavement and 20m wide (live on a main road) camera are about 3m off the ground . Which would be best the 4mm lens or 2.8mm ?

Edit : just checked 4mm currently installed ... So Ive answered my own question lol

Thanks in advance

Soldato
To anyone with the Reolink Cameras, is there a way to narrow the field of view? I have one on the front of my house (In an upstairs window) but the field of view is huge. Not a massive problem but I was just wondering if I could narrow it to mainly encompass my front garden with car etc and not the entire close with about 3 drives.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi All,

I'm back again and looking at finally purchasing a NVR along with two cameras, Most probably a Hikvision system.

I'm looking at the Acusense or the ColourVu cameras, Would 4MP be enough or should I be looking at 8MP or higher? What about lens size?
As for the NVR, I'm just looking at a 4 channel item (8MP DS-7604NI-K1/4P).

Soldato
I'm a bit unsure if I should be choosing a 2.8mm or 4mm lens for my cameras. The camera will be up in the eaves of a two story house. Any pointers on making a decision?

Soldato
To anyone with the Reolink Cameras, is there a way to narrow the field of view? I have one on the front of my house (In an upstairs window) but the field of view is huge. Not a massive problem but I was just wondering if I could narrow it to mainly encompass my front garden with car etc and not the entire close with about 3 drives.

Thanks
Bits of black tape?
I run mine through the pc although can't narrow the field of view unless by lowering resolution I just cut down the detection zone width

Soldato
Why would you want the cameras so high up? All you’ll see is the tops of people’s heads at the typical distances you get in a UK front and rear garden.

They’ll also be out of view so the deterrent effect is reduced or even removed.

Soldato
Why would you want the cameras so high up? All you’ll see is the tops of people’s heads at the typical distances you get in a UK front and rear garden.

They’ll also be out of view so the deterrent effect is reduced or even removed.

My drive is longer in one direction with the garage front in the opposite direction so I thought perhaps having it there I could point it down the drive way which would cover anyway approaching the drive way.
I do see the issue you have highlighted though so I may have to re-consider this when mounting them, Especially the back garden camera.

Back
Top Bottom