Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
I'll jump in,

I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 ipcams. My PC is on 24/7 as i use it as a plex server, can I just connect the cams to this and use a few of the hd's for recording only? I assume there are programs that run and sort all this on a Windows environment?

nam

nam

Soldato
I'll jump in,

I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 ipcams. My PC is on 24/7 as i use it as a plex server, can I just connect the cams to this and use a few of the hd's for recording only? I assume there are programs that run and sort all this on a Windows environment?

you can use a windows server and iVMS4200 Software On Windows as on this thread http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1729

myself i am going to be using an old PC with a 1TB disk and FreeNas http://www.freenas.org/

nam

nam

Soldato
I've been looking at getting a couple of Hikvisions for a while now but I'm still trying to visualise how I will install them.

Have you drilled the 1" hole and fed all of the cables internally or stripped down the cable for a neater installation?

That is a good question as stripping down the cable would mean re-crimping the ends. I would like to know also how best to do this ..

Soldato
OP
My install isn't very neat, I've just plugged the Ethernet cable into the cable that hangs off the back of the camera (and wrapped the join in electrical tape for waterproofing, it's under my roof so shouldn't get wet anyway), run it behind my soffits and then drilled a hole through the wall to run the cables to my switch. The camera does come with a waterproof casing for the cable join but you need to be able to crimp on the RJ45 connector.

For the Windows software you can download it from http://www.hikvision.com/en/download_more.asp?id=1277

For Android and Apple you can get it from the relevant app store.

nam

nam

Soldato
Thank you. I got mine yesterday from a UK EBAY Seller. The Camera had the Chinese Date Stamp, but changed that in the OSD Menu, Quality is amazing and i just need to adjust for best day/night settings.

As for fitting i am not sure if i have a capable drill or bit that would drill such a big 36mm hole for the cables. So i plan to cut one end off Cat5 and re-crimp inside.

Anyone have some good recommendations for a outside junction box which is small and does not look out of place with the camera ?

My install isn't very neat, I've just plugged the Ethernet cable into the cable that hangs off the back of the camera (and wrapped the join in electrical tape for waterproofing, it's under my roof so shouldn't get wet anyway), run it behind my soffits and then drilled a hole through the wall to run the cables to my switch. The camera does come with a waterproof casing for the cable join but you need to be able to crimp on the RJ45 connector.

For the Windows software you can download it from http://www.hikvision.com/en/download_more.asp?id=1277

For Android and Apple you can get it from the relevant app store.

Soldato
^^^^ take a look at Screwfix for a choc box or a 65mm 4 entry junction box, as examples. I have used both and they are good, with the 65mm box giving the room needed for the connections and it has been water proof.

Permabanned
Thank you. I got mine yesterday from a UK EBAY Seller. The Camera had the Chinese Date Stamp, but changed that in the OSD Menu, Quality is amazing and i just need to adjust for best day/night settings.

As for fitting i am not sure if i have a capable drill or bit that would drill such a big 36mm hole for the cables. So i plan to cut one end off Cat5 and re-crimp inside.

Anyone have some good recommendations for a outside junction box which is small and does not look out of place with the camera ?

Got a link to the seller or the product

I want to go with IP and get about 4 of them setup asap outside. Maybe some internal soon as well

nam

nam

Soldato
Last edited:

nam

nam

Soldato
just ordered another Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 4mm 3MP and a TP-LINK TL-SF1008P POE Switch. Can't wait to get them mounted on the weekend.

Does anyone have a good guide on how to setup 2 cameras writing to FreeNAS ?

nam

nam

Soldato
Almost half the price of UK :eek: but delivery times seem very long. They all look like 4mm. The biggest seller in the UK http://www.use-ip.co.uk/hikvision/3mp-ip-cameras.htmlwhere Sirrel got his and i got my 2nd cam from are also out of stock of the 6mm and 12mm. The 6mm and 12mm seem hard to find anywhere in stock.

I will post images of the 4mm this weekend but i am very impressed being able to read number plates and street signs ..

Back
Top Bottom