Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Not sure if you have purchased you cams but you need to factor in if you require the use of the cams more during the day or at night. If you are at work during the day, you want excellent results so a higher MP cam would be required. The 2342 is excellent during the day but pretty rubbish at night.

If at night then you will need additional lighting or a darkfighter. They are low level light 0.002 lux I think but only 2MP and they are expensive as hell. The best cams that come close to a darkfighter in night mode is the DS-2CD2335FWD-I. They are 3MP and have a lux of 0.005 compared to the 2342 model which is 0.01 lux hence why they are very poor and the technology is getting dated now.

The performance of the DS-2CD2335FWD-I is excellent both day and night and they are the new generation of turrets that are low level light grade like the darkfighter. They come also with an SD slot if you don't want a NVR.

They can be purchased for less than £120. I have a batch coming in a few days to replace some 2342 cams as they aren't up to the job for night monitoring.

Associate
Hello guys,

I've been looking at buying some CCTV for my outdoor studio which will mount to said studio at the front facing towards the gate (front of the house) and towards the back garden, both about 10m (in length from studio)

The way I have it set up is:

-> Camera(Studio)
-> CAT6A Faceplate Module(Studio)
-> POE Switch(Studio)
-> CAT6A Faceplate Module(House)
-> Router(House)

-> Normal Switch(House) <- NVR or NAS(House) ->
-> Router(House)

Is this an optimal way?, I wanted the NVR to be away from the Studio Shed so that if it were broken into I would have recordings.

I've been looking at Hikvision EXIR Dome 2342 either 4mm or 6mm, 6mm looks like the better option but how can I tell without installing it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
Right so a few cars are getting broken into so I want to look at getting a cctv system to watch the cars.

I have a microserver, win 2008, a few 2TB drives, I just need the cameras and everything else required am after good clear pics day and night min of 2 cameras possibly 4 with a view to increase the number if required.

So can people list what I need or am I better off finding someone to come do it for me.

Matt

Soldato
Not sure if you have purchased you cams but you need to factor in if you require the use of the cams more during the day or at night. If you are at work during the day, you want excellent results so a higher MP cam would be required. The 2342 is excellent during the day but pretty rubbish at night.

If at night then you will need additional lighting or a darkfighter. They are low level light 0.002 lux I think but only 2MP and they are expensive as hell. The best cams that come close to a darkfighter in night mode is the DS-2CD2335FWD-I. They are 3MP and have a lux of 0.005 compared to the 2342 model which is 0.01 lux hence why they are very poor and the technology is getting dated now.

The performance of the DS-2CD2335FWD-I is excellent both day and night and they are the new generation of turrets that are low level light grade like the darkfighter. They come also with an SD slot if you don't want a NVR.

They can be purchased for less than £120. I have a batch coming in a few days to replace some 2342 cams as they aren't up to the job for night monitoring.

Not yet purchased and thanks a lot for the info! Wasn't aware of those ones and assumed the 2342 would be better than the 2335 (higher number)... but that's obviously not how the model numbers work then with Hikvision stuff.

How much footage do you tend to get on the SD card? Say a 64GB card.

I guess the advantage of the NVR is centralisation and the PoE?

Soldato
I don't use the SD card feature because of the number of cams I have but I have one 3MP Bullet with a 64GB card and I think it could hold near 5 days 24/7. Don't quote me on that. It's now linked to my NVR so I never need it but a good backup if the NVR dies.

There is a new 2355 Hikvision 5MP out but it uses newer tech than the 2342 but still poor night vision. Don't know why they didn't use low level light tech like the 2335. Pointless really.

Soldato
I don't use the SD card feature because of the number of cams I have but I have one 3MP Bullet with a 64GB card and I think it could hold near 5 days 24/7. Don't quote me on that. It's now linked to my NVR so I never need it but a good backup if the NVR dies.

There is a new 2355 Hikvision 5MP out but it uses newer tech than the 2342 but still poor night vision. Don't know why they didn't use low level light tech like the 2335. Pointless really.
Thanks for the info! Yeah I think I'd prefer an NVR too if I'm honest

Associate
Can anyone answer me this, would be better for me to have the NVR inside the studio to the router and just remote view the cameras from my house or have PoE router in the studio connected to switch then router?

Soldato
Can anyone answer me this, would be better for me to have the NVR inside the studio to the router and just remote view the cameras from my house or have PoE router in the studio connected to switch then router?
Is the studio not on the same network? If so, then I'd just put the NVR (which provides PoE I assume) in there.

Not sure what you mean about PoE router, did you mean PoE switch in the studio connected to a standard router? - If it is on a different network

Associate
Is the studio not on the same network? If so, then I'd just put the NVR (which provides PoE I assume) in there.

Not sure what you mean about PoE router, did you mean PoE switch in the studio connected to a standard router? - If it is on a different network

Yeah my mistake I meant PoE switch to the same router.

I'd assume the image quality and controls etc would be the same via remote.

Thanks for the reply.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Anyone got any experience with the Arlo Pro wireless cam system? Considering it, I don't want to have to run cables or drill any holes so looks like a decent solution (if expensive)

Dude, cameras that have to be charged every (manufacturer claims) few months (make it weeks in regular conditions) ? In what parallel universe is anybody going to do rounds on their roof and walls several times a year to recharge them and wtf thought this was a good idea?

Associate
Dude, cameras that have to be charged every (manufacturer claims) few months (make it weeks in regular conditions) ? In what parallel universe is anybody going to do rounds on their roof and walls several times a year to recharge them and wtf thought this was a good idea?

Based on the reviews I've watched on YouTube, battery life on these lasts between 4 and 6 months (they record on motion or sound detection). I can live with taking the externals down for a few hours every few months to offset the hassle of drilling holes and running cables. Wanted to know if anyone on here had experience with them before pulling the trigger.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
No recording equipment with Wifi will lasts 4 to 6 months on a single battery and fit in the body of Arlo Pro. Battery technology is simply not there yet. Maybe if the camera was in a dark mop closet with no traffic, but yours is going to be outside, there will be movement and sound, wind, birds, flies, foliage, weather changes, lighting changes, cars, planes and dogs. And then we have the logistics of it - it's not like they will all stop at the same time and you'll be able to dedicate two weekends in a year to charge them up. You'll be climbing up to power them up one by one "all the time", and it's going to happen at the most inconvenient times - icy november mornings, just after you left on holiday, middle of Xmas break, right after snowfall. You'll dread the thought of climbing up with extension cord again and again, then after two or three times you will decide to wait until all of them loose the charge. Then maybe get them back online once a year. :)

Soldato
Yep go for PoE. I looked for wireless to avoid running network cable but consider that consumer motion detection tech isn't as smart as you'd think. I'm still tweaking mine but rapid changes in cloud cover for example, change the picture in my detection area and set off the motion detection. Plus in the event of a break in you may have useful footage before the robber was in your detection zone, perhaps parking up a few nights before, tentatively walking around etc.

A single cable PoE solution (which I went for) is so easy to manage.

Soldato
Hmm I was just coming in here to ask about the netgear arlo cameras... but the above has put me off now

Has anyone in here got any real world experience with these cameras?

Other than that what would be a good alternative? It needs to be super easy to setup and use, no reliance on other hardware (as in what you get in the box is all you need) and ideally accessible via an app or URL... plus cloud storage would be a bonus

GDL

GDL

Associate
Now we've moved into our house I'd like to get the CCTV sorted.
I'm thinking four cameras (or at least expandable to four)

Our house is detached with a long drive down one side leading to a garage and rear garden entry, so I'm thinking.

Camera 1 above the garage door facing down the drive.
Camera 2 Garage wall (Garden side) facing the rear of the house.
Camera 3 On the rear of the house facing the side gate and garage door.
Camera 4 Front of the house covering the front door and garden.

Night vision
I already have a home server setup to save the local footage too and will be reading this thread tonight but just wanted to see what people's instant ideas would be for cameras and additional hardware.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom