Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Sounds easy enough, thanks very much.

The current system has a small old TV, think we will replace it with a 24" 1080p monitor, it will actually take up less room due to the smaller bezel.

Will the NVR also be able to update itself via the internet and update the firmware on the cameras?

Sorry Nick I did draft a reply to your trust and then got snowed under :o Don't check the inbox very often :p

You'll have to update the NVR which will in turn update the cameras :)

As Bigpops said above, if you're cabling everything back to the NVR then it's plug and play. Will probably dish out 192.168.255.0/16 range

Soldato
No problem.

Thanks for your help. The NVR and camera mounts were delivered today, just waiting for the cameras which will take a week or two. Also coming in the next few days is outdoor cat5e, RJ45 connectors and crimping tool.

We are planning on installing a lamp post and mounting the PTZ camera on it at the front corner of the house, so it looks across the entire front of the house, should be fun being able to zoom up and down the street too, nosey neighbour alert.

Soldato
Are Hikvision cameras still the ones to go for or are Ubiquiti worth looking at? I want something to cover my front door and garage. Left for work this morning and noticed a dent had appeared in the garage over night so think someone has had a go.

Soldato
Are Hikvision cameras still the ones to go for or are Ubiquiti worth looking at? I want something to cover my front door and garage. Left for work this morning and noticed a dent had appeared in the garage over night so think someone has had a go.

Hikvision if you can get hold of them really...

I haven't got experience with the Ubiquiti ones but I haven't seen anything about them which would make me conclude they're not that great for the cost :p

Soldato
I've used them loads for networking gear and really rate them for that. But like you I couldn't find much out about the cameras. They do appear to be simple to use and have decent software though.

Soldato
I've used them loads for networking gear and really rate them for that. But like you I couldn't find much out about the cameras. They do appear to be simple to use and have decent software though.

Other than a few security issues with their networking gear, it's decent yes :p

I use it in a lot of SOHO setups, pubs love it. Chuck a unifi switch in, cloud controller and some UAPs and it's game.

Soldato
Could anyone spec me a replacement camera?

I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I WDR 4 mm on the side of the house, a path which is quite narrow. Its going back due to a fault. Should I get the same one again?

I've got the hikvision mount up there for it but dont mind swapping that out.

Should mention, my qnap nas is on dvr duties. My 3 camera's fee to a poe switch which inturn connects to the home network.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember reading months back that you can no longer buy Hikvision cameras from aliexpress as they are locked down to region now? Is that still the case? Just checked on aliexpress and one of the sellers has a note on saying not to update the firmware on them but it does show English on the drop down menu?

Soldato
Could anyone spec me a replacement camera?

I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I WDR 4 mm on the side of the house, a path which is quite narrow. Its going back due to a fault. Should I get the same one again?

I've got the hikvision mount up there for it but dont mind swapping that out.

Should mention, my qnap nas is on dvr duties. My 3 camera's fee to a poe switch which inturn connects to the home network.

Anyone?

Soldato
Can't really go wrong with the DS7608NI-E2 or the I model if you can stretch to it and get one in the UK. Not that hard to setup and there's plenty of help online too.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hi folks, i noticed the Dahua name mentioned a page or 2 ago, how inferior are these to Hikvision at the cheaper end of the spectrum, i was looking to upgrade my analogue setup with some 4MP turrets, and going for Dahua from Aliexpress (a plus electronics) means that can get an extra few cameras to cover my garden area.

Any advice appreciated.

Soldato
Dahua are considered a tad better than Hikvision. Their starlight turrets are the best low level cams around. Excellent cameras and worth looking into. Plenty of YouTube videos displaying their greatness.

If I didn’t have Hikvision, I would be buying Dahua.

Soldato
I wouldn’t bother with that cam. I would be buying the IPC-HDW5231R-Z. Varifocal and the best low level light cam around.

Don’t get caught up in this high megapixel malarkey. Plenty of reviews around that show how a 2mp cam can kick the ass of a 4/8MP cam.

Associate
Hi

Has anyone had any experience of wiring up an external PIR to the alarm in terminals of a Hikvision NVR? Going to give that a go soon so just starting my research. There isn't anything in the manual explaining how to connect things up.

I was going to get a decent 230V PIR, wire it up to drive a relay and then use the relay contacts to drive one of the alarm inputs on the back of the NVR. I'm assuming it's a case of just bridging input 1 to ground via a relay contact?? Also, why do I have 2x G(round) terminals on the alarm input block?

Thanks

Associate
anyone any experience with the swann CCTV systems? I just got offered a swann cctv swdvr-91245h with 2 cameras for £100 so I took it.
Its all working and have tested it. Im planning on getting the cameras fitted up this week.

It can take 9 cameras in total so planning on adding another 2 at some point. whats the best cameras to get?

Back
Top Bottom