Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
I'm not showing all my cams but this is from the side of our house. No lights at all apart from the Cam IR this is a 2342

Yes its messy. We're mid refurb.
Thanks for the pic. That's why I'm keen to see something from a 2335 as I also, like you, thought the 2342 was very impressive when I had one temporarily (as a test) before returning it.

Soldato
Thanks for the pic. That's why I'm keen to see something from a 2335 as I also, like you, thought the 2342 was very impressive when I had one temporarily (as a test) before returning it.

If the 2335's a better than those then I'll move my 2342's into the garden and driveway. As they are lit and buy some 2335's for the darker areas.

Soldato
I'm not showing all my cams but this is from the side of our house. No lights at all apart from the Cam IR this is a 2342

Yes its messy. We're mid refurb.

The IR of that cam doesnt seem that good to me. My old DS-2CD2235-I5 lights up nearly all of my garden in the pitch black and has a reasonable picture quality and thats on a 4 year old camera.

Soldato
In layman's terms what's the difference between the 2335 and 2342 that you said you didn't like?

The 2342's are rubbish in darkness as they are not meant for low level light.
The 2335's are low level light and are classed in a similar group as the dark fighters.

The 2342 are slightly better and sharper than the 2335 during daylight but at night the 2335 is superior.

Example from another site. Every location is different so you have to make changes to image settings to get the best.

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
The 2342's are rubbish in darkness as they are not meant for low level light.
The 2335's are low level light and are classed in a similar group as the dark fighters.

The 2342 are slightly better and sharper than the 2335 during daylight but at night the 2335 is superior.

Example from another site. Every location is different so you have to make changes to image settings to get the best.

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG
Thanks for those! That is a fair difference but is it enough when considering the drop in daytime performance? To help decide is there any chance you could please post a daytime comparison from the same positions? Or do you not have one?

Thanks!

Soldato
I don't have any of the two at the same location. If I had time I would rig two up for testing but I am away to NY tomorrow.

You need to decide if you require daytime viewing more than nighttime. If you want good daylight and not worried about nighttime then opt for the 2385. If you want good nighttime then you need the 2335 as the 2385 will look poor from the reviews I have seen due to its high MP and not being a low level cam. Some say it's worse than the 2342.

In some installations you can stick both cams up at different angles to counter this or stick led floodlighting up and disable the IR. I did this and worked great. So many different things you can do to get the best out of your camera.

Also, the 2335 is a H.265+ cam, doesn't use an external light sensor and is made using newer technology compared to the 2342. Older generation.

Soldato
Hi folks,

I’m getting my house cabled for Ethernet shortly (Cat 6 or possibly 6a for futureproofing) and thought it would be a good idea to get some cameras up at the same time. It seems Hikvision is the preferred camera, but how do you know which lens/mbit etc you need to cover the correct areas? I've a detached house and want to cover the front porch/garden, the drive/cars,the back garden and possibly the side of the house. I might need to have 2 cameras to fully cover the garden and due to the shape of the house I can't cover both the front porch/door and the drive with one camera. The issue I have is that I don't know how to choose the lens/mbit and just in general which cameras to go for. I had initially thought to put all the cameras up on the soffits as this would have made all the wiring simple but having read through the thread it seems this is fairly pointless as the cameras most likely won’t be able to see the faces/car reg/useful details of any bad people! Where do you guys recommend to place them? Half way up the wall?

For the setup I was thinking about just having the cameras powered by a PoE switch and have them record to my N40L microserver which will be spare as I’m shortly going to replace it with either a Gen 8 or T30. Is the N40L server up to the job? I’ll leave a 2/3tb disk in it as needed. I’m also not sure how much bandwidth the cameras are going to take up, the network will be gigabit so I’m hoping it wouldn’t struggle. Do you all think a separate NVR would be more practical? If so which one??

Any advice gratefully received!

Soldato
The IR of that cam doesnt seem that good to me. My old DS-2CD2235-I5 lights up nearly all of my garden in the pitch black and has a reasonable picture quality and thats on a 4 year old camera.
Its not all about IR though.

No point having bright IR if it Peaks out faces when it reflects

Soldato
Hey

I need a fairly basic kit which will allow me to keep an eye on the downstairs of my home and also the front door.

I do not require anything crazy but I would like it to maybe be wireless

Please spec me something

Thanks

Soldato
With the hikvision NVRs and camera becoming harder to come by, what would the alternative choice be for a IP CCTV system? I am looking at about 6 cameras to cover my house and drive.

Associate
Does anyone have any idea on how to manually add an ipv6 address to an DS-7608NI-E2?

The only way I can get a routable address on there is via DHCP which I do not want to do, my cameras on the other hand allow manual entry no problem!!

What gives!! :)

Back
Top Bottom