Spec me a rice cooker

I bought a Russell Hobbs Rice Cooker https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V9MNF2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 on sale and for the life of me cannot get the rice to not be sticky, have been using Basmati Rice from co-op. Have tried, washing extensively, more water, less water and still sticky - any advice?

I'd start simple and try buying from another brand/supplier
I travel out and buy a large bag of Basmati from the World Foods section of an ASDA that has a large Asian population nearby.

Ok.

The rice cooker I got was a gift from the Mrs, I love it, but it's a bit basic and burns the rice at the bottom a bit.

So...........

Spec me an upgrade? Reading through the thread I see fuzzy logic, the problem with a lot of the ones mentioned in this thread, is that they are large, I'm after one that does enough rice for max 4 people, say 5 cup max, plus the smaller the better for storage.

Budget.... Pffft I'm rolling in it these days so whatever.

Cheers in advance.

@Raymond Lin

Last edited:
Ok.

The rice cooker I got was a gift from the Mrs, I love it, but it's a bit basic and burns the rice at the bottom a bit.

So...........

Spec me an upgrade? Reading through the thread I see fuzzy logic, the problem with a lot of the ones mentioned in this thread, is that they are large, I'm after one that does enough rice for max 4 people, say 5 cup max, plus the smaller the better for storage.

Budget.... Pffft I'm rolling in it these days so whatever.

Cheers in advance.

@Raymond Lin

This will suit your needs, it says 3 people, but it can probably stretch to 4 easily.

Or the more traditional option and dare I say it less fashionable option.

Walk past any university dorms where Taiwanese, Chinese or Japanese are staying you’ll find one of those.

Last edited:
G
This will suit your needs, it says 3 people, but it can probably stretch to 4 easily.

Used it today for the first time, I did 3 cups and it was more than enough for the 4 of us, probably try 2 and a half next time.

It's a good rice cooker, I already had one and it used to burn the rice a bit at the bottom, where as other than a very slight discolouration in the corner this didn't.

Other than that, quality of cook say there isn't actually that much in it, I'm not complaining though pleased I got it.

I'll probably donate the old one to my brother.

This was the old one, to be fair for £30 isn't bad.

Macook Rice Cooker with Rice Steamer (5 Cups, 1Litres), Rice Cooker Small, High-Temperature Protection Mini Rice Cooker- For 1-4 People - Cooking 15-20 Minutes - Non-Stick Coating for Cooker Rice https://amzn.eu/d/gckDvKJ

G

Used it today for the first time, I did 3 cups and it was more than enough for the 4 of us, probably try 2 and a half next time.

It's a good rice cooker, I already had one and it used to burn the rice a bit at the bottom, where as other than a very slight discolouration in the corner this didn't.

Other than that, quality of cook say there isn't actually that much in it, I'm not complaining though pleased I got it.

I'll probably donate the old one to my brother.

This was the old one, to be fair for £30 isn't bad.

Macook Rice Cooker with Rice Steamer (5 Cups, 1Litres), Rice Cooker Small, High-Temperature Protection Mini Rice Cooker- For 1-4 People - Cooking 15-20 Minutes - Non-Stick Coating for Cooker Rice https://amzn.eu/d/gckDvKJ

The main difference would be better consistency top the bottom, better separation of grain and better texture.

There are instances where a burnt bottom rice is desirable…see Hong Kong Claypot rice, but with plain white rice, a consistent top to bottom portion is what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I love my rice cooker, I should have got it years ago.

I throw a block of creamed coconut in with it and it comes out superb every single time. I never ever use any other setting other than the white sushi rice. Even forgot about it and it’s kept it warm (hot) for easily 2 hours and theres no difference in the texture/taste.

Yum Asia Sakura ordered. Never thought a domestic appliance could make me so giddy with excitement!
How is it? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on that model. Is it big enough for 4 adults? Preferably with leftovers to help with leftover curry for lunch :)

How is it? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on that model. Is it big enough for 4 adults? Preferably with leftovers to help with leftover curry for lunch :)
Easily enough for 4 adults. I'd go as far and say 8.

My family are more potato orientated so it's a bit overkill just for me and some extra for next day's fried rice. Had some bananas on the turn so made a cake with them in it which went down quite well.

Back
Top Bottom