Spec me a rice cooker

I looked at Yum Asia panda mini on Amazon today in the hope there may be a good deal but they seem around the normal price.

Worth getting as a small rice cooker or anything better out there?
Small. 2 adults 2 children here and I've only yet needed 2 cups of rice, I imagine 3 cups would do 4 adults easily. I've had the Panda for ages now. One of those things that took me ages to decide to buy and I regret not getting one years ago. Such brilliant things.

Small. 2 adults 2 children here and I've only yet needed 2 cups of rice, I imagine 3 cups would do 4 adults easily. I've had the Panda for ages now. One of those things that took me ages to decide to buy and I regret not getting one years ago. Such brilliant things.

Plenty big enough for us then.

Ordered as I’ve also debated buying one for ages.

Bought a yum Asia panda mini and have used it twice with long grain and once with basmati and they all come out sticky and clumpy, tried one portion of rice rinsed and then filled up to the mark with the rice already in the bowl, opened up once to stir and that’s all. Am I doing anything wrong?

Bought a yum Asia panda mini and have used it twice with long grain and once with basmati and they all come out sticky and clumpy, tried one portion of rice rinsed and then filled up to the mark with the rice already in the bowl, opened up once to stir and that’s all. Am I doing anything wrong?

I'd guess too much water.

Your doing equal parts rice to water?
When you say opening it to stir, your waiting until it's finished before opening right? You shouldn't be touching it until it says it's done and is just keeping warm.

Your doing equal parts rice to water?
When you say opening it to stir, your waiting until it's finished before opening right? You shouldn't be touching it until it says it's done and is just keeping warm.
I put one measure of rice in the pot and rinse then fill water up to the level marked for long grain on side of the pot, then cook and halfway through stir it

Rinse it in a sieve under running cold water until the water comes out clear.

Put it in the pot and add clean water up to the correct mark.

Don’t stir it halfway through, just leave it.

You need to wash the rice until water runs clear or it will stick together from the starch.
easiest way is to wash 1 cup rice in a strainer at a time so you can agitate it better, and it takes longer than you'd expect.
if I didn't wash the rice enough I get a thin layer on the pan like super thin rice paper.

your personal preference will determine the ratio, and the type of rice.

Jasmin 1-1.5 cups water
Basmati 1.5cups water
long grain white 2 cups

different for brown rices, just google and practice with different amounts of water until you get it perfect.

golden savoury rice is super easy for a quick meal.

Basically Turmeric, rice, a few vegtables like peas, carrots , sweetcorn whatever. can be frozen from a packet.
bung it in the rice cooker with the rice.

maybe add a chicken stock cube, but if you do that probably best to boil the water and mix in the stock cube first.
lazy meal that will be better than the instant packet versions and likely considered healthy, mine came with a steamer basket and I've used it whilst the rice is cooking, done cauliflower, sprouts, tofu cubes etc all game out great, though it may flavour the rice a bit if it's something like cauliflower that contains a lot of water.

Turmeric will stain any white plastic utensils though. mine seem to have gone back to white on their own over time however, so I guess it slowly leeches back out

Last edited:
You need to wash the rice until water runs clear or it will stick together from the starch.
easiest way is to wash 1 cup rice in a strainer at a time so you can agitate it better, and it takes longer than you'd expect.
if I didn't wash the rice enough I get a thin layer on the pan like super thin rice paper.

your personal preference will determine the ratio, and the type of rice.

Jasmin 1-1.5 cups water
Basmati 1.5cups water
long grain white 2 cups

different for brown rices, just google and practice with different amounts of water until you get it perfect.

golden savoury rice is super easy for a quick meal.

Basically Turmeric, rice, a few vegtables like peas, carrots , sweetcorn whatever. can be frozen from a packet.
bung it in the rice cooker with the rice.

maybe add a chicken stock cube, but if you do that probably best to boil the water and mix in the stock cube first.
lazy meal that will be better than the instant packet versions and likely considered healthy, mine came with a steamer basket and I've used it whilst the rice is cooking, done cauliflower, sprouts, tofu cubes etc all game out great, though it may flavour the rice a bit if it's something like cauliflower that contains a lot of water.

Turmeric will stain any white plastic utensils though. mine seem to have gone back to white on their own over time however, so I guess it slowly leeches back out
Really, you must like mushy rice.
For me and I agree with the manual, basmati, long grain, jasmine are all 1:1, brown rice use the lines on the bowl.

Last edited:
Thanks all first thing I will do is try to use the measuring cup to do a test 1 rice to 2 water as I was just filling to the line in the pot and now see that this is a couple of mm above the mark in the pot

Last edited:
I've found washing the rice too much gives me mushy results.
Start with some decent rice. Kohinoor gold is good and not too expensive.
I use a sieve and a bowl for washing.
1x 180ml cup of rice for 2 people
Put the rice in the sieve, fill the bowl with water and wet the basmati rice, then manipulate it gently with my fingers for a few seconds. Drain and empty the water.
I fill the bowl again and rinse the rice and empty. Do this twice, then straight into the cooker bowl.
Fill the rice cooler bowl to the top of the corresponding long grain line in the bowl.
Close lid, turn on, wait, serve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom