Spec me an LED Torch

Should I be looking passed just lumen count then? I was put off the XP-G Quarks because of the lower lumen count than the P20C2. The Quark UI does look perfect though!

Just found this on the net........

Xenon or LED?

Xenon and LED bulb technologies provide an improvement over traditional flashlights. Of the two, LEDs are more durable and reliable and will last longer. The life expectancy of LED lamps is 100,000 hours of operation. Xenon lights shine the brightest and provide the most efficient use of battery power. Xenon bulbs last up to 20,000 hours on average.

WOW

72 pages (and 77,000+ views) of LED torch recommendations.

I have nothing to offer other than my admiration for the OPs ability to hit a nerve with the demographic here.

Last edited:
WOW

72 pages (and 77,000+ views) of LED torch recommendations.

I have nothing to offer other than my admiration for the OPs ability to hit a nerve with the demographic here.

Not really, there has been loads of 'spec me a torch' threads and we all just seemed to stick with this one instead of making an official thread.

Not really, there has been loads of 'spec me a torch' threads and we all just seemed to stick with this one instead of making an official thread.

Ah ok. But my comment still stands then.

Maybe you should make an official Torch section. Seems like it would fetch a good following.
Lord help us there could be multiple torch related sub-sections on here.

You could be a leading light.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend me a torch please? £50 budget.

Needs to be worn like this (as modeled by this rather lovely S/Sgt):

So needs to have a clip on the button end that allows it to be carried pointing down.

Really, I want 2 modes, or the ability to quickly switch between 2 modes if it has more without cycling through them: a low mode for lighting up paperwork and stuff, and a very bright mode.

The issue 55 lumen beauty is 16.5cm long, with a body diameter of 1.85cm and a head of 2.54cm. A little bit shorter would be good, and the head can be a bit bigger, but to go through the radio loop on my armour the body needs to be about that size.

For obvious reasons, it also needs to be tough! One thing thats put me off things like the Jetbeam range is the clips just push on. Not sure how well they'd last.

Batteries, either RCR123s or AAs. 123s seem better, get a brighter torch in a smaller package.

Looking at something like the EagleTac P20C2 mkII, seems to fit the bill pretty well, and if I'm reading the instructions right, you can have the low mode selected, and then jump straight to high, and then back again easily. Also like the Quark UI too.

So any recommendations, anything worth a look at?

Surefire LX2. Little pricey though, but it's a surefire.

Surefire LX2. Little pricey though, but it's a surefire.

Surefire's are overated

If you really want a pricey light get one of these :-)

IMG_1844.jpg

I love mine.

Whats the component sites? They've got lost in this thread, buried deep in the depths.

Also what's considered the most powerful led, for torches?

Cree XM-L emitter.

SST-90 is much more powerful - but needs a much higher current and isn't as efficient the XM-L - Google Olight SR95.

Two main LED's used in flashlights atm:-

XM-L = 700lumens - bright but floody.
XP-G = 350lumens - smaller die size to tighter beam than XM-L - at a distance it often seems bighter than an XM-L.

If you want a good "thrower" - i.e. one that has a real tight bright beam it can be worth looking for a good light with a large head using the XP-E R2 LED.

Anyone recommend a decent AA powered light with at least 2 brightness modes? Looking for it for a father's day present and my dad would not want to mess around with having to find obscure batteries etc.

The Cree C3 posted previously would be ideal if it had a low/med setting. It's hard trying to find the good ones from all the crud!

Anyone recommend a decent AA powered light with at least 2 brightness modes? Looking for it for a father's day present and my dad would not want to mess around with having to find obscure batteries etc.

The Cree C3 posted previously would be ideal if it had a low/med setting. It's hard trying to find the good ones from all the crud!

4Sevenes Quark AA - Tactical if you want just two modes (but you can program those two modes from 9 different ones) or regular if you want all 9 modes avail without programming.

Get the Quark AA2 if you want longer run time.

If you want a tiny light - look at the Mini AA from 4sevens.

In other news:-

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?263943-Thud-Ti-18650

Hurry up pay day!

Last edited by a moderator:
UltraFire-C3_cased.jpg

UltraFire-C3_sizecomp.jpg

(C3 on the right, closest sizematch is the JawsLight 3rd in from the right)

That UltraFire C3 I posted about buying earlier arrived today and here are some thoughts on it...

Build quality is better than the C8 and better than SolarForce L2, the finish is as smooth as the JetBeam BC40 but obviously it doesn't feel as tough. The reflector is a solid aluminium block bored into a reflector, it's quite heavy for its puny size.

The front glass lens has no O-ring between it and the head so I might look into buying an O-ring that fits (suggestions? :))

The screw threads were greased already and the feel is greasy smooth similar to the BC40 but not rough like on the L2.

The emitter is screwed into an aluminium block as well.

It's VERY bright! surprisingly bright even. I took a few photos with my phone to show how bright it is compared to the BC40 (XM-L), L2 (XP-G) and C8 (XR-E). It's not as bright as the BC40 on full (lol) but it is as bright as the BC40 on full and brighter than the L2 on full. The spill is quite wide for such a small reflector too and the intensity of the centre spot appears to be almost as bright as the C8 but with a large diameter. It's brighter than the L2 centre though. I'll test the throw tonight.

It does pump out a lot of heat though, I don't know if that's good or bad but I imagine good because those blocks are doing a good job of transferring heat through the head?

Anyway, pics!

UltraFire-C3_threads.jpg

UltraFire-C3_reflector.jpg

UltraFire-C3_bits.jpg

Vs BC40
UltraFire-C3_vs_BC40.jpg

Vs a cheap Cree Q5 zoomable, my first torch :p
UltraFire-C3_vs_loltorch.jpg

Vs SolarForce L2
UltraFire-C3_vs_SFL2.jpg

Vs C8
UltraFire-C3_vs_C8.jpg

(The clean reflector pattern of the C8 always amazes me)

Edit*
I've ordered a pair of Yezl 800mAh (actual) 14500 batteries from Big F D D (eBay) who I always get my batteries from. The Trustfire ones were as expected, a bit rubbish. After 30mins of use the IC cut them out. Removing the IC circuit resulted in about 20 more minutes use before the light level dropped and it started to flickr. I suspect these "900mAh" Trustfires aren't anywhere close to 900 at all.

Also, regarding the JetBeam BC40, I've had the FJD 2900mAh batteries on that for some time now (also from Big F D D) and they've been superb. JetBeam says that the BC40 will run for 60 minutes on max but these FJD cells allowed for over 1hour and 20 minutes and even then then I got bored and stopped. Should easily get over 1hr 30mins on max brightness with them. Tempted to order another pair, one for the C8 and one for the L2, that thing gets 35 hours on low on a 2400mAh cell!

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I am in the market for a LED torch. I have read through the majority of this thread but am left a little confused as to what I should get.

I need the torch mainly for work on the car and keeping in the car (as its getting old and break downs are not out of the question). My budget is around £70, including batteries/chargers. Obviously the more powerful the better!

Fire some suggestions at me please!

Hi guys!

I am in the market for a LED torch. I have read through the majority of this thread but am left a little confused as to what I should get.

I need the torch mainly for work on the car and keeping in the car (as its getting old and break downs are not out of the question). My budget is around £70, including batteries/chargers. Obviously the more powerful the better!

Fire some suggestions at me please!

Headlamp of some sort, so both your hands are kept free.

Back
Top Bottom