Spec me an LED Torch

Go for the Panasonics, they're the best CR123A's in the world :)

What Surefire's have you got? :D

Thanks I'll get some ordered.

At the moment I've got E2DL Defender in my work bag, 6P LED in the car and E2D Outdoors in my hiking bag. Various other maglites and cheap lights around the place.

Keep getting the urge for an m3lt or m6lt! :eek:

:D

You should give it a go. If you can solder then there's no reason why you can't! You get some massive satisfaction from building your own dropin! :D

Do you have a link to the components you bought? I'd be very interested in modding my C8 and if it can have memory function then even better!

Edit*
Ah it's just the driver: http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S020073

What kind of solder would you recommend? The spare I have kicking around is many years old and not suitable for micro boards like this.

Also need a new iron head... :/

Last edited:
2xC8-KD8x7135-XM-L-CWNW.jpg
I take it most torches are pretty much identical inside then? My £4.99 'lol, 3W 270 lumen, rofl CREE' special from Amazon has identical looking insides. I simply bypassed the PWM completely so I can direct drive the LED off the dynamo on my bike. I do need to check the output voltage of the dynamo but it's good to know you can get custom PWM chips in case I need to lower the power supplied.

Clearing out the man draw and found the lanyard and holster from my Sunwayman V10r that I am never going to use so they are going free to a good home. First person to post in this thread and email my trust with a name and address for me to send them to gets them.

Holster looks like this (minus the torch!)

g9Z4S.jpg

I just got the V10A T6. Not too impressed with it though. The brightness slider is far too loose and it's not as bright on high as I thought it would be. It's also larger than my old Fenix AA it's replacing.

Haven't tried it with 14500 batteries yet, it's supposed to do 460 lumens with those.

I wouldn't go for that one, it's probably not going to be very durable.
you could try one of these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustf...umen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-28544

I had one and it was great until i lost it (i was rather upset about that).
Takes nice and cheap AA batteries, on which it'll be acceptably but not blindingly bright. It also won't get hot on AAs so if it gets left on until the battery runs out it won't cook itself.

Build quality is very very good for the price.

Got this one along with a natty little blowtorch lighter. It is pretty good for the price but it whines a high pitch squeak on a new AA battery.
I sit it on the cupboard pointing at the ceiling and it lights the whole room just about.
I prefer that to a normal desk lamp as it is much softer and its fine to just leave on like you said

The XR-E Q3 arrived as a dud apparently. So bit of a lucky dip I think. The 'Airmail' option takes about a month

I'm thinking of buying some 18650 or 18700 batteries and charger for use with a torch (not decided which one to buy yet) and also for use in a usb battery pack:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Porta...474962?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a15174cd2

I've read here and elsewhere that AW do the best batteries but they're quite expensive.

I know very little about the tech but was thinking of going for the Senybor 2800mAh protected batteries here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-SenyBo...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item43aeb7caca

And for the charger, XTAR WP2 II UK Intelligent Car USB Battery Charger.

Good choice or is there anything else I should be looking at?

My C8 is still kicking arse from underground caves to rooftops of highrises :D

I did have a curious issue on one of the Yezl cells last week though where after an hour or so of continuous usage on the Solarforce L2 (with SF XP-G LED) it cut dead. That emitter should give 3.5 hours at max, 15 hours on medium and 30 hours on low so something was up.

Got home and the battery read 0volts. Took ages to charge as well so I fear that cell has possibly had it or protected circuit tripped. That's never happened before on the L2 before.

All the while the C8 shines for hundreds of metres with a wide as you like spill ¬_¬

Think so. Im going to replace it with the WP6 charger, and going for some XTAR 18700 3.7V, 2600mAh Li-ion Protected Batteries @ 2 for £11.99

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom