Spec me an LED Torch

Would you guys recommend? Need some smaller torches around the house/in the car with this weather! And I only have 1 of the huge maglites

My Shadow is sold now but yes, it is the perfect light for that kind of usage and them some too. Weather proof and good run times and a good looking design :-)

So Mark A, if you experience similar, Autosol those battery carrier plates :)

Nice one :). I'm glad I came across that thread on CPF or I would have never guessed a finish they applied at the factory could be causing it to flicker.

I have a tube of Autosol so I think I'll do this as well. Not actually tested yet as I have just got back from work and stuck the batts on charge. But it can't hurt even if mine doesnt flicker.

Plus it looks better!

Beam comparison:

beamshots_set.jpg

Range:

beamshots_range.jpg

(321metres)
TN31:
beamshots_TN31.jpg
VG10:
beamshots_VG10.jpg
L2:
beamshots_L2.jpg
C8:
beamshots_C8.jpg
Zoomable (focused):
beamshots_zooma.jpg
Zoomable (flood):
beamshots_zoomb.jpg
C3:
beamshots_C3.jpg
T10:
beamshots_C3.jpg

All quite respectable levels of brightness really, the VG10 stacks up nicely to the TN31 but obviously doesn't throw as far - The TN31 is just a beast though!

The T10 is very respectable given its size while the cheap as chips C8 is capable of throwing the 321 metres without problem but I imagine it would struggle beyond that distance. It wasn't pitch black out there though tonight, there was some light from the town but it was dark enough to not be able to see ahead of you.

Last edited:
Beam shots updated in above post. I just checked the volts on the TN31 battery carrier now and it's reading 12.66v with the 3 cells installed, this seems about right or is there anything else to check to ensure the carrier plates are passing the current through efficiently now?

The beam pattern of the TN31 is very cool, I have never seen anything like that before :cool:. The T10 looks surprisingly bright for a 1 AA torch. I have only used mine indoors so far but it does a great job of lighting the room up when pointed to the ceiling.

I used a 14500 for the C3 and T10 hence the brightness!

To me the most surprising was how well the VG10 was able to throw and flood given the head and reflector sizes are the same as the L2 which could not match the VG10 with a P60 XM-L T6 drop in. Shadow have fine tuned their emitter nicely.

I think the TN31 will be by my side for many years though!

Last edited:
I used a 14500 for the C3 and T10 hence the brightness!

To me the most surprising was how well the VG10 was able to throw and flood given the head and reflector sizes are the same as the L2 which could not match the VG10 with a P60 XM-L T6 drop in. Shadow have fine tuned their emitter nicely.

I think the TN31 will be by my side for many years though!

Mrk: couple of qustions if you dont mind, I need to replace my ageing Ultrafire 502b and the rcr123 batteries,
Whats the quality of the VG10 like?
Which bulb option did you go with to get that beam shot?
3 or 4 mode?

Im looking at these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181014409348?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300682981145?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mrk: couple of qustions if you dont mind, I need to replace my ageing Ultrafire 502b and the rcr123 batteries,
Whats the quality of the VG10 like?
Which bulb option did you go with to get that beam shot?
3 or 4 mode?

Im looking at these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181014409348?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300682981145?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hi,

I chose the cool white option and 5 mode although they sent me a 4 mode due to the 5th SOS mode being phased out (!) hence why only 4 mode is the max available.

The quality of the VG10 is excellent. It feels good, has good weight with battery inserted and the lens is tough too. It kicks out some serious light as well, from my pics above you can see the mid range power of the beam is up there with the TN31 and the flood is closer to the edges as well.

I think for the price it is a very good torch and excellent all-rounder, certainly better than any Lenser or other big branded torch for the same (or more) money.

I know I have the TN31 now but had I not bought that I’d not really be looking to change the VG10 at all but as it stands, needed to offset some of the TN31 cost somehow and it seemed logical to sell the VG10 and keep the L2 as backup and TN31 as main :p

Those protected cells look good, I also have that charger too and it seems good too. Remember, the i4 v2 charges slots 1 and 2 fastest when 2 batts are used, 1 and 3 charge slower so charge 2 at a time because if you charge 3 or 4 at a time then charge times are a bit slower. For me that’s not a problem because I can charge over night or during the day when not needed.

Hi guys!

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I cant read through all of this thread as its too long! :D

Myself (and a mate) are after some torches that flood light for night riding in the woods and across fields. Its PITCH black (we tested some lights last night) so something with decent flood is needed.

We are after something that can run on full flood for an hour or two tops. we will then mount 1 or 2 to our bars (each) and be good to go.

I guess we both have a budget of up to £100 (but could stretch a bit more if its worth it) and for this would it be possible to get 1 good, or 2 good torches and some batteries and a charger?

MRK, or others, any chance you can suggest something that would fit the bill. Decent bike lights are over priced and these torches seem much better value for money.

Any questions ref our requirements that i might have missed just ask.

Thanks in advance!

I just got some torches/bike lights from eBay:

XTAR BK10 Torch - £28 for the torch, waterproof to a few metres, have 4 modes rated at high 450lumen/3hrs, med 8.5 hrs, low 24hrs.
Each torch uses one battery (18650 3100mAh 3.7v Li-ion) and comes with the bike handlebar mount, spare O ring and lanyard. The torches also have a choice of metallic colour bezel.
Batteries - £19 for 2x18650 Batteries, comes with a nice small plastic travel container.
Charger – varies from a £5 for a single pot to £23 for the six channel charger which I got.

All from an eBay UK seller (multicorepc). Ordered Sunday night, arrived Tuesday well packed and a recommended seller IMO.

On initial test they seem considerably stronger than my expensive (albeit 4 year old) Ay-Up bike set and much more flooded. I would say a single torch puts out twice the amount of light of an Ay-Up, two torches throw out a huge amount of light. And I say this when I thought they Ay-Ups were good!

I got them initially for walking at night / camping and for a spare set of bike lights if my GF wants to come out on the bike at night with me, but they seem pretty impressive, solid and well built. Far exceeded my expectations. In fact if they work on well on the bike they may well replace the expensive ay-ups, although they seem bulkier.
Need to test the battery times but for the this price (around £50 for one, £80 for 2) they seem very good indeed.

I also got a 2 channel XTAR charger from a Chinese reseller that doubles up as a USB charger for other devices (phone, iPad, etc…). Idea is you charge the Li-ion batteries with it, then flick a switch and use the batteries for USB charging other devices on the move when needed. Neat.

Cheers for the suggestions so far.

Thrunite have a sale on the TN31 and a mini T10 for a decent price. I might just get that and some batteries. Put the TN31 on the bars, and the mini on the helmet?

What do you think to those for biking?

Its either that or 2 Shadow VG10's for the bars....

God i know so little about torches I wish someone could just spend my money for me an assure me that what I am buying is the best for my needs

looks like you will be burning down the trees with a TN31 :) It looks like a biggish torch, you need to consider how you would mount that on the bike. I would also look at the runtimes for these torches, 3hrs on the BK10 on a single battery sounded good to me.

looks like you will be burning down the trees with a TN31 :) It looks like a biggish torch, you need to consider how you would mount that on the bike. I would also look at the runtimes for these torches, 3hrs on the BK10 on a single battery sounded good to me.

Realistically do you think you will get 3 hours out of it though? Also is it bright enough to light up super dark woods on spread?

The reason i was keen on that TN31 Mrk has is that the picture he posted really makes it looks amazing!

The size is the only down factor, but there has to be a way to mount it to the bars ...

I have the Eagletac ones which are also recommended.

The TN31 is a big light for a handlebar and light output will definitely be comedy and will run for ages but does require 3 high quality batteries to do so.

My choice would be 2x VG10s as you use less batteries and can thus keep more spare if needed. I reckon you'll easily get away with just 1 VG10 though, it does output a lot of quality light! Get decent batteries and you'll get well over an hour on max brightness although medium is very bright as well.

Back
Top Bottom