Spec me an LED Torch

I'd say the TN30 or the 31 if you want lots of flood is too big and heavy to be mounted on your handlebar.

Those two xtar bike lights will produce a lot of light if you are in a pitch black environment.

I have the Eagletac ones which are also recommended.

The TN31 is a big light for a handlebar and light output will definitely be comedy and will run for ages but does require 3 high quality batteries to do so.

My choice would be 2x VG10s as you use less batteries and can thus keep more spare if needed. I reckon you'll easily get away with just 1 VG10 though, it does output a lot of quality light! Get decent batteries and you'll get well over an hour on max brightness although medium is very bright as well.

Hmm 2x VG10's you say .....

Is the best place to buy one still the one linked in your youtube video?
Also whats the best reccomendation for batteries and a charger? Might get something on order tonight!

I will probably start with 1 VG10 see how that goes and if I need another get one at a later date.

Last edited:
The intl outdoor store? Seems to be although someone posted another link earlier!

Battery wise, As mentioned above  Panasonic/Eagletac 3400 protected, Sanyo are good, Torchy are good or pretty much anything from big_f_d_d on eBay :p

Realistically do you think you will get 3 hours out of it though? Also is it bright enough to light up super dark woods on spread?

The reason i was keen on that TN31 Mrk has is that the picture he posted really makes it looks amazing!

The size is the only down factor, but there has to be a way to mount it to the bars ...

I haven't ran a burn test yet or been on the bke with them (twisted ankle), but I do a lot of night riding (trails) in the woods, snow etc :) and up to now I thought my ay-up set was amazing. In my playing about in the garden I (subjectively) rate the BK10s as twice as powerful so I'm really looking forward to giving them a spin. My only concern is wether they will be too wobby as the ay-ups are super compact with a separate battery pack.

The TN31 does look amazing and I'm also tempted but it doesn't seem suitable (to me) to mount on a bike.

Yeah I think the TN31 is definatly too big! Warming a lot to the shadow VG10.

I will make a choice tonight and get something on order. If it meants spending £100 or more so I can ride my bike through the winter then its worth it!

The TN31 will give you long run times though should you choose it, these are the standard rated times from Thrunite but slap in some high quality 3400mAh cells and you should get more:

Level 1: 0.5 lm. 2000 hours
Level 2: 21 lm. 140 hours
Level 3: 146 lm. 22 hours
Level 4: 366 lm. 9 hours (This mode is brightn enough to see considerable distance in front of you, fine for biking from what I could see in a black field).
Level 5: 620 lm. 5 hours
Level 6: 1147 lm. 2 hours

I just cant see a decent way to mount it to my bike due to its size.... I think I will be better off with 1 or 2x Shadow VG10s for riding, and maybe if this torch bug gets me I can get a TN31 for other things later on!

Should I get the Neutral light color for the extra £'s?
Also Can you put higher cap batteries in the VG10?

Sorry for all the questions ....

Cheers for the help mate! I will get some of these on order when I get home tonight!

I am sure they will be just fine for what I need. WIll check out those ebay stores too for the batteries and charger.

I went for an XTAR 6 channel charger which seems well made and erm, charged the batteries :). There s also an XTAR 2 channel charger that doubles up as an USB (phone, iPad..) charger with a flick of a switch, that runs off the charged batteries.

Let me know how you get on with mounting the shadow as I was looking one one for xmas too :) Could be a nice helmet light for the bike.

I caved in, I ordered a Fenix (my first Fenix!) E05 for my EDC-Kit that I'm building.

I bought a new backpack because my old one (five years old!) is trashed. It's a tactical backpack, to which I'm going to affix an "EDC Pouch", containing a screw driver, superglue, the E05, another, more-powerful torch and so on. It'll also contain a fairly sizeable quantity of backup lithium batteries in case of emergencies :D

Possibly the VG-10 that I have on the way, maybe my 4Sevens Maelstrom G5?

Thinking about it, probably the G5, that makes a fantastic EDC/Emergency torch considering it'll run from 2x CR123As as well as 18650s, 17670s and so on. The circuitry's also nice and efficient, it's got lots of throw as well as beacon, SOS and strobe modes. Oh! and a useful Moonlight mode too!

Yep, that's sorted then :D

Just been reading through this with people suggesting these torches for bike use.

I've found my real problem is I cycle in all weathers, even when the road feels more like a river than tarmac !

A result of this is the lights dont cope well fighting off water ingress. Are any of these torches properly 100% waterproof and can cope with getting drenched ?

Back
Top Bottom