Spec me an LED Torch

I see this thread crop up all the time and don't get it.

How many pages on torch selection do we need?

This has run to 86 pages now.

Father Dougal McGuire :

"Have we found a suitable LED torch for the OP now or not Ted?"

Last edited:
I see this thread crop up all the time and don't get it.

How many pages on touch selection do we need?

This has run to 86 pages now.

Have we found a suitable LED torch for the OP now or not?

LED technology evolves a generation every six months or so, LED torches every three months! It's about keeping abreast of developing technology, maintaining the most effective, efficient and powerful devices Technology allows... you know, like the what the entire forum is essentially about :p

Anyway, the OP hasn't posted in this thread in years :D

<edit>
Or did you think that most torches still used little bundles of 5mm LEDs or little coils of high-temperature Tungsten :D ;)

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a torch that I could get as a Christmas present?

I have a Lenser P7 and I think its very good, but would like something for my dad who's a hobby farmer. So something that can flood a large area over a distance would be good. Don't mind if its bulky, in fact might be better.

Say under £80?

The light doesn't have an on/off switch, it has a rotating control ring which the torch senses the position of via magnets and Hall-Effect-sensors. The light "Turns Off" when you rotate the control ring to Off, but it still has to poll the sensor to see if it's been turned on yet, hence standby current draw :)

LED technology evolves a generation every six months or so, LED torches every three months! It's about keeping abreast of developing technology, maintaining the most effective, efficient and powerful devices Technology allows... you know, like the what the entire forum is essentially about :p

Anyway, the OP hasn't posted in this thread in years :D

<edit>
Or did you think that most torches still used little bundles of 5mm LEDs or little coils of high-temperature Tungsten :D ;)

Most torches seem to use XM-Ls, I'm sure these have been around for a couple of years.

It's in standby mode, not physically off but electronically powered down so some current is still flowing. Means you can Standby it for periods of time when you don't want to have to push the main switch. I find it quite handy on the TN31, big light, not as convenient having to turn it on and off from the tail switch as 2 hands are often required.

The light doesn't have an on/off switch, it has a rotating control ring which the torch senses the position of via magnets and Hall-Effect-sensors. The light "Turns Off" when you rotate the control ring to Off, but it still has to poll the sensor to see if it's been turned on yet, hence standby current draw :)

Seems like complexity for complexity's sake. What's wrong with a good old switch?

Most torches seem to use XM-Ls, I'm sure these have been around for a couple of years.

True, but the XM-L U3 has only recently been released, and the XP-G2 was released a couple of months ago, both big developments in the LED world :)

Seems like complexity for complexity's sake. What's wrong with a good old switch?

Well, for one thing, it means that the light is completely sealed to the environment when it's closed - no opening in the body for the switch mechanism, and also because Mechanical switches aren't that reliable, and the magnetic-sensor-thing is very reliable indeed, having practically no mechanical components. :)

Right guys I'm going to be ordering a Shadow vg10 later but one last question? Have I overlooked any other similar sized/output/single 18650 torches for <£30?

For the output and whole package the VG10 is one nice light. Was one of the best packages when I got it! Build quality is way above its price point too.

they'll be happy to send your items by EMS-speedpost if you ask them to for a small fee - should be around $15 to $20 extra :)

That way it'll be in the UK in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom