Spec me an LED Torch

This TN31 is AMAZING! :D. Took it to the lakes and it was absolutely pitch black there due to no light pollution and this lit the paths up so I could see as good as if it was day. Also amazed at the throw, even with a bit of fog I could see well in front of me to see what was ahead.

I will be looking out for user reviews of that new Fenix TK75, if that really is 2600 lumens compared to this torch with 1100, it will be interesting to see how much brighter it is in the beamshot pics. If someone compares the two. I'm guessing the TK75 will have more flood with the 3 LEDs and what looks to be a shallower reflector.

Last edited:
Also stripped down an old laptop battery got 8 what look like Sanyo's not sure if I can save them, laptops been sat unused for 3yrs - 4 @1.48v and 4 @ 0.80v

No, those cells are all junk and have to be tossed I'm afraid :(
Any Li-Ion cell that spends more than a couple of days at less than 2.75v/2.5v has to be discarded - you get metallic lithium forming around the electrodes which can short-circuit and cause the cells to explode.

Not worth the risk, just throw 'em :(

Any Li-Ion cell that spends more than a couple of days at less than 2.75v/2.5v has to be discarded - you get metallic lithium forming around the electrodes which can short-circuit and cause the cells to explode.

Out of interest, how can you check them and what's the best way to dispose of them?

Thanks will do don't fancy the risks, was hoping to get a couple out of it!

Multimeter to check the voltages.

Exactly.

Then, if they're above about 3v (ish), charge them up, measure them 15 minutes after they're off the charger, and then 12 hours after they're off the charger. If the voltage has sagged by more than about .1V, use them with caution, and if it's sagged by more than .4v, throw them away :)

Ikeas especially! funny thing - most of the Cells that go into those bins get sent to china, where quite a few of them get repackaged into Ultrafire-branded cells :D :p

Any recommendations for a torch that I could get as a Christmas present?

I have a Lenser P7 and I think its very good, but would like something for my dad who's a hobby farmer. So something that can flood a large area over a distance would be good. Don't mind if its bulky, in fact might be better.

Say under £80?

Any thoughts anyone?

Excellence! Looking forward to it Mrk :D

I was looking on one of our suppliers websites earlier today... I'm very sorely tempted to buy a 35w HID "torch". 'Specced to produce about 3500 lumens for over an hour Muahahahaha!

This TN31 is AMAZING! :D. Took it to the lakes and it was absolutely pitch black there due to no light pollution and this lit the paths up so I could see as good as if it was day. Also amazed at the throw, even with a bit of fog I could see well in front of me to see what was ahead.

I will be looking out for user reviews of that new Fenix TK75, if that really is 2600 lumens compared to this torch with 1100, it will be interesting to see how much brighter it is in the beamshot pics. If someone compares the two. I'm guessing the TK75 will have more flood with the 3 LEDs and what looks to be a shallower reflector.

For the eye to percieve something twice as bright you need 4x the lumens, so a 2600 lumens flashlight vs your 1100 lumens flashlight will seem roughly 35% brighter.

I stopped chasing lumens ages ago - now more concerned with quality and function. Just about to plump for my 2nd Haiku.

Back
Top Bottom