Spec me an LED Torch

Oh very nice indeed Mrk!

The L2T is a lovely host, the stainless steel ones are apparently excellent!

I have one of the solarforce single-mode XM-L2 dropins, it's great. It's pushing what I'd estimate to be about 500-600 lumens, so it's running the LED reasonably gently. When copper-wrapped and tightly fit into the host it can run for quite a while without the host getting too hot, works great for continuous usage. :D

Always wanted a stainless steel one so thought why not with the sale price :)

How accurate does this converter look? I have a lux measurement app on my phone and the app says direct sunlight right now is just over 63,000 lux. The converter below says that's around 5500 lumens. Converting say 500 lumens to lux says the lux is around 5381 So as a fairly decent guess it appears right to me?

If so then I can test out my lights now to see if the claimed output is close!

http://www.unitconversion.org/illumination/lux-to-lumens-per-square-foot-conversion.html

Lumens and lux aren't directly convertible as Lux is a simple unit and lumens is a vector unit.

Essentially, Lux is the surface-brightness per unit area. One lux is equal to one lumen per square meter.
A Lumen is a measure of total light output, and is consequently quite hard to measure.

Imagine you had a box where all six walls inside were LuxMeters and were each 1m^3. If you put a light inside and each luxmeter read 1 Lux, then the amount of light being emitted would be 6 lumens.

The only way to really accurately measure total light output is with something called an "integrating sphere", which is a hollow sphere with a highly reflective white surface inside, a lux-meter installed and a hole for the torch to be shone inside.
The Lux meter measures the incident light falling on it which is an integration of all the light emitted by the torch into the sphere. This allows different lights to be quantitatively compared against each other, and if the setup gets calibrated with a light of known lumen output, the lux-readings can be then converted into lumens.

Quite the hassle, I'm sure you'll agree.

So it is here.

SolarForce-L2T-SS_2.jpg

SolarForce-L2T-SS_4.jpg

Really superb quality to the finish, threading looks good and it has some real weight to it. I'd say it doesn't feel that far off the weight of the TN31 and that thing has 3x 18650s inside it :eek:

Sadly the LC-XML2 bulb I bought with it arrived faulty, it's supposed to be 4 modes but only 1 mode activates and that mode appears to be dimmer than my 320 lumen XP-G which I really like. I've emailed SolarForce and see what they say, might just get a refund on that only and keep the XP-G.

Line-up:
SolarForce-L2T-SS_set.jpg

Aldi ones we got have been good. Funny thing is the shop gets products from Germany I think so quality can be surprising

Eneloops are worth paying more for but I cant remember the price, it wasnt tons more from amazon

It's a German company but i'd imagine they are made in China, like the powertools they sell are.

Back
Top Bottom