Spec me an LED Torch

Phew that's expensive - mine was £1.79 so ordered two

Yes - mine have been dispatched but not arrived - been weeks but at under 4 quid I will take the hit.

Dave

Since posting this mine came next day - most impressed with them -

Years ago we had a puncture at 11.00 at night - pitch black so said to wife give me the mini maglite - Ahh I cleaned my bag out and never put torch back - after calling her a female dog and animal that moo's I changed wheel by light of phone display.

Now have a wind up torch in car as you can be sure next time you need one the battery would be flat on normal torch.

Dave

For 980 lumens with such a small reflector, the SolarForce does manage to spill and flood quite well with a really dominant hotspot!

A26A0093.jpg

Ok my ultrafire C8 died after about 6 months of having it, as the battery got loose inside, probably down to a fake battery that cost me a tenner:mad: So Im thinking of going back to my old xenon bulb torch and buying some decent rechargeables.

Hey guys, Ive just forced myself to press the buy it now on a nitecore EA41 with 960 lumens, costing me £60:eek: from torchdirect. So 2nd time lucky and hopefully it wont be another fake:confused:

Do you guys think it will be as bright or brighter then my ultrafire C8 was?

The EA41 will certainly produce a more intense light output but the C8 will throw longer due to the deeper reflector. Like my SolarForce 980 liumen emitter on the L2-SS, the reflector is small and not deep but it throws around 400 metres easily whereas my C8 which is around 320 lumen throws much longer yet isn't as intense outside of the small hotspot centre.

The EA41 will certainly produce a more intense light output but the C8 will throw longer due to the deeper reflector. Like my SolarForce 980 liumen emitter on the L2-SS, the reflector is small and not deep but it throws around 400 metres easily whereas my C8 which is around 320 lumen throws much longer yet isn't as intense outside of the small hotspot centre.

I think my C8 was rated at 1000lumens, be with it only being £12 I guess its no where near that. With the nitecore I think I will be mainly using it on high, not turbo, so the specs says high is 510lumens and battery life is 2hrs 45mins on that mode. So it should last quite a long time between batt change, as I use a torch roughly 5mins a night during the winter months.

Yeah it might be rated 1000 lumens but I guarantee it would be far far less :p

The Nitecore will definitely be the brighter light but as mentioned the distance the centrre spot throws will be greater on the C8 due to the reflector being bigger and deeper.

alritey guys, looking for a new torch seeing as my trusty led maglight is dead :(

ideally looking for something equal to or better than my 3d led maglight without breaking the bank

any suggestions before I go buy one of the cheapo £15 crees off ebay?

^ I'd go for something like this: http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?id=797&s=67&t=LF

For my L2-SS I'm tempted to order one of these new LC-XPL v3 emitters: http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?id=793&s=63&t=RB Black Friday deal :D :D

If you liked XML you gonna love this

The XLamp® XP-L LED is the first commercially available single-die LED to deliver breakthrough efficacy of up to 200 lm/w at 350 mA. The game-changing Cree® XLamp XP-L LED delivers an immediate performance increase of 50% or more as a drop-in upgrade for lighting designs based on Cree’s market-leading XLamp XP-G LEDs. As the brightest member of the industry’s only family of high-density-class discrete LEDs, the new XP-L LED redefines system performance, cost and size of LED lighting.

25% more light or 25% less power needed to drive and should price point between XPG-2 and XML-2

Only just recently got an XM-L U2 for it as well but the prospect of more light output with less power draw is always high!

Last edited:
looks decent enough at a good price but us though :(

any recommendations from a us supplier ideally someone offering next day delivery?

It will ship in around 1 week, that and their customer service is second to none! Hmm so you need something next day? That's a bummer :S Plenty of Surefire/Ultrafire lights on eBay though from UK sellers who can ship next day. Not as good a light as the new SolarForces but if you need next day perhaps that's a cheap option.

Quick question for those that know what they are talking about. I have a "Lezyne Power Drive" cycle light that recharges using a mini usb cable, it takes an 18650 (2400 mah li-ion) battery. Is there any reason I can't use this as a charger if I buy a torch that takes 18650 batteries as well? That would save me a good £20 on a charger as I would prefer to get an 18650 powered torch to and AA powered one.

IMG_20141126_233012.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hey all,

Just looking to get a torch that I can carry in my camera backpack.
I'm just looking for something that is as bright as possible for the money and would possibly come bundled with some good batteries and a charger for under .... ~£30.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Cheers!

Probably sound like a SolarForce shill now but how about this: http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=490

It's stainless steel, bright for the size and takes AA batteries so you could keep a couple of Eneloops in the bag too which will retain 75% or more of their charge if not used for a few years.

bugger it ordered,

what batteries does it use?

18650 - Plenty about from Sanyo/Panasonic/Eagletac and so on. Probably steer clear of Trustfire/Surefire/Ultrafire batteries as there are too many fakes rolling about. My money would be on an Eagletac battery or two. Bit dearer but you get your money put to good use with them.

Quick question for those that know what they are talking about. I have a "Lezyne Power Drive" cycle light that recharges using a mini usb cable, it takes an 18650 (2400 mah li-ion) battery. Is there any reason I can't use this as a charger if I buy a torch that takes 18650 batteries as well? That would save me a good £20 on a charger as I would prefer to get an 18650 powered torch to and AA powered one.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x4E47RLTkwg/VHZjHAc5NeI/AAAAAAAABUo/pXGATOgM12E/s640/IMG_20141126_233012.jpg[/]

Thanks in advance.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Yup should be fine but how long it takes to charge is another matter and of course it will only charge 1 at a time.

Back
Top Bottom