Spec me an LED Torch

Thanks for the tip on the charger.

My order arrived today, the D25A is impressive on the AA. Sadly the Nitecore 14500 is too long and stayed on all the time when screwed up, I'm returning it for the EagleTac 14500 as it's a little bit shorter, hopefully it's better.

Lots of good info in here - Might replace my camping torch :)

A lot of these torches seem to be great power output for the size... But...

My Dad's a farmer.
He was getting the 1000000 candle power torch/lamps that need charged every few days every couple of years as their batteries died each summer :P

This continued as those were the only torches he wanted.
I then introduced him to the LED Maglite. (3 x D Cell) For ref, apparently 79 hours battery life

Sold!
Currently uses it every day, can take a beating and keep on ticking - falling out of tractors, landing in puddles, smeared in mud etc.

With the 3 x D Cell it lasts ages between a set of batteries and most importantly in my view... On / Off, no flashy flashy mode that comes with 90% of the LED torches I've bought for camping etc... Press it on once, then next time you want to use it click/click/click until it's back to full beam is annoying for me, let alone when you just need light.

So, before I go get him a Maglite Pro for his birthday this year...
(And a few sets of Duracells)

Is there a rugged / on/off (no flashy-flashy) with long battery life LED torch that doesn't need to be that small?

Portable daylight is cool, but anything over 250 lumens would do as getting decent battery life out of it is reasonably important, the ability to not just spot a cow at 200m but see if it is about to calf is more important.

Last edited:
Ordered another one of these from Amazon for £1.80 last week including free delivery. We'll see if it's as good as the current one I already have.

It's cheap, floody and does the job. Gets quite hot though.

I had one of these arrive the other day. Works well (amazingly so for the price), zoom isn't perfect but almost. Just looking into getting a couple of 14500's to see what it does :D

Hey guys, I might try buying myself another torch, because going back to my old xenon bulb torch is rubbish, as its so dim outside compared to my ultrafire C8.

I have been looking around on the net, but none has really jumped out at me and all the ones I quite like are expensive, like the Led Lenser p17 and the nitecore EA4. So to spend money like that on a torch, I think you really have to like it.

I could get those 2 torches cheaper on sites like amazon ect, but then I stand a chance of it being fake and thats the last thing I want is another fake torch, that will only last a few months.

So guy I dont know if you can help me find one that I really like.......

I have about £70 to spend on one, but I dont want to spend anywhere near that if poss.

I would like it to take the normal size of batteries (aaa,aa,c or d)

A decent size like the p17 or EA4.

The switches on the barrel instead of the tail.

I would like it to always to go on to high when you switch on, because the C8 drove me mad with all the modes, and it was even worse because it didn't switch on to the mode you had it last, it would go to the next mode:mad: The p17 modes are good, because when you switch on, its on high, then another press low, then the final press it switches off. I think I could cope with modes like that, because I haven't see any led torches with a straight on and off button without the other modes.

Last edited:
Are there any relatively decent torches out there that have an inbuilt charge circuit?

Looking for a light the Mrs can use when she is dog walking so something small and light with hassle free charging. Has to be a handheld torch preferably with a lanyard slot. Budget around £50 but could extend for something special.

Are there any relatively decent torches out there that have an inbuilt charge circuit?

Looking for a light the Mrs can use when she is dog walking so something small and light with hassle free charging. Has to be a handheld torch preferably with a lanyard slot. Budget around £50 but could extend for something special.

Personally I'd always stick with replaceable batteries so that you can carry a spare. Just get into the habit of swapping the battery and dropping it into a charger every couple of days

I think the Stainless Steel edition of the L2 was the best purchase I ever made in terms of torches. Such a good host :D Sure it weighs a lot but feels so good and looks extra special.

Personally I'd always stick with replaceable batteries so that you can carry a spare. Just get into the habit of swapping the battery and dropping it into a charger every couple of days

I agree but the Mrs won't hassle on with swapping batteries, usb charge like a phone and she won't complain :p

I have no read the whole thread ...

I'm after a decent head lamp torch or torch so when I go out in the early mornings in January for photography landscape's i can see what the hell im doing :D and with AA as i have enloop spare to use :)

As i currently use my iphone's light...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom