Spec me an LED Torch

well, it's unlikely that swapping out the emitter will be easy, but you never know. some chinese torches are quite well built and some of them...

That warm-white P60 thingy you posted probably isn't a good idea, UniqueFire are one of the less "reputable" chinese clonetorchmanufacturers. you'd be better off buying the module and host separately and getting a Solarforce L2 or L2P.
Unless of course you're just using the host as a armour-casing for the fragile dropin :)

the MC-E is old tech and driving it properly is very difficult. compared to your XM-L you'll probably find it disappointing.
your XM-L light will probably be doing between 500 to 600 lumens depending on how well driven it is, and that MC-E will be closer to 450 max :)

Ah ok, is there anyway to get more out of the one im getting or is 600 lumens fine?

it might be possible to replace the driver-circuit in the one you're getting with a 2.8A unit that should deliver about 800 lumens but you'll probably be extremely impressed with what it produces. 800 true "out the front" lumens is enough to illuminate an entire football or hand-egg field.

the LED lighting industry is evolving at an incredible pace. Cree recently announced that they had a lab-prototype single-die-LED that delivered 231 lumens of white light at a single watt of input power, which is more than double the efficiency of current LEDs

Much more interesting tech on the horizon to come :)

They must be quite efficient since cars are now using LED headlights! The BMW 6 series for example!

Although that's not powered by an 18650 :p

So how efficient are leds and how much light could you possibly get out of an aa or 18650 battery if all the energy was converted to light? :p

the most efficient LED on the market at the moment is the XM-L which delivers 100 lumens per watt at it's maximum rated output of 1000 lumens (10 watts)

This is roughly twice as efficient as a modern, top-of-the-range CFL lamp :)

the calculations involved in working out the maximum theoretical light output per watt are decidedly non-trivial but if i recall correctly, it's about 370 lumens per watt of 532nm monochrome green light. for white light it will be quite a bit less :)

Are there any 'decent' LED GU10 lights at the moment? Looking to replace the halogen spots in my kitchen with some LED versions if there are any decent ones about. IIRC a few years back they were very low light output compared to the halogens.

those are a bit disappointing in terms of their rated lumens-output but they're otherwise quite good.

At £20 each they're not even that expensive.
if they replaced the LED's they're currently using with XM-L's those things would be perfect.

those are a bit disappointing in terms of their rated lumens-output but they're otherwise quite good.

At £20 each they're not even that expensive.
if they replaced the LED's they're currently using with XM-L's those things would be perfect.

Yeah I think I'll hold on a while and just see if they bring out any new versions with newer tech. Ideally I'd love to replace them with LED versions when they're brighter and maybe a bit cheaper.

9w is quite a difference to the 50w halogens, should save a fair bit of electricity as we have 4 in our kitchen. Plus I'd imagine that LEDs will last a lot longer. These halogens burn out after 6 months or so.

Yeah I think I'll hold on a while and just see if they bring out any new versions with newer tech. Ideally I'd love to replace them with LED versions when they're brighter and maybe a bit cheaper.

9w is quite a difference to the 50w halogens, should save a fair bit of electricity as we have 4 in our kitchen. Plus I'd imagine that LEDs will last a lot longer. These halogens burn out after 6 months or so.

Yeah. :) as long as the driver circuits aren't crummy the bulb units should last years without issue.

Back
Top Bottom