Spec me an LED Torch

Just received a Fenix tk35, very impressive in daytime, will report back later on nighttime how ever, its silly bright though, and the reflector looks like its going to give some serious throw :P bought as a graduation present to replace my pd30 after I jacked my car down on it (dont ask) still works mind, just looks tatty, its my back up now, was under it for 20mins before I realised and all its done is take the paint off. Tough thing.

Can anyone recommend a 18650 battery charge + batteries? Whatever is the best make really :)

the best "make" of 18650 batteries are AW cells imo. He's a guy in Hong Kong who's been supplying flashaholics to CPF'ers for years.
His 2900mAh cells use the top-of-the-line Panasonic 2900mAh cells with a protection circuit.

the best 18650 charger that i know of is the Pila IBC charger, very pricy though.

Last edited:
Do you think that the 2900 mah would extend the runtime over say, energiser 123s? The torch takes either, where can I get the 18650 stuff from? Or on the other hand should I go for rechargeable cr123 cells? I know you're the man to ask :)

in terms of absolute capacity, the 2900mAh has about 15 to 20% more than 2xCR123A cells, but these days flashlight driver circuits are a quite a bit more efficient with lower-voltage inputs so you'll probably see a fairly nice runtime boost with the 18650.

Rechargeable 123A's (aka 16340's) are a bit pap, only about 700mAh of capacity.
you can get the AW li-ions from the Candlepowerforums marketplace or Flashaholics.co.uk
The Pila IBC is quite hard to get in the UK, but a bit of searching should reveal a source eventually

The ultrafire chargers are a bit unpredictable. i wouldn't worry about using them with cheap cells, but it'd be a shame to damage nice expensive cells with a cheap charger.

the Xtar WP2 is a better choice than the Ultrafire WF-139, and is also a wee bit cheaper to boot.
It does tend to undercharge cells by about 10 to 15% but that does extend the usable life of the cells considerably.

Last edited:
well i've had pretty good results with my Xtar yeah :)
no worries about the help. if you want more help always feel free to ask and also check out CandlePowerForums :D

I'm looking to get something based on the xm-l t6.

I was thinking of getting this
http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...3mode-memory-led-dropin-module-42v-max-p-5178

with a solarforce l2p body.

Id there a better drop in than the ultrafire?

and is that a better route than just buying this ??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UltraFire-WF-...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item43a7f0d6b1

The manafont-Ultrafire-XML is one of the brightest "pre-made" dropins currently available, and the solarforce L2P is an excellent host, you shouldn't be disappointed with that combination.

the WF-501B is one of the lousiest dropins, with unreliable switches, low-quality aluminium and tissue-thin anodizing. better used as a secure-dropin-transport-container than a host.
it's also hugely overpriced.

The Ultrafire 148 should be here shortly, it got good feedback on various torch sites and seems to be the ideal replacement for the 139. It's a bit pricier but you re getting a better charger..

Going to check out the Manafont XM-L too :p

Last edited:
The Ultrafire 148 should be here shortly, it got good feedback on various torch sites and seems to be the ideal replacement for the 139. It's a bit pricier but you re getting a better charger..

Going to check out the Manafont XM-L too :p

you have a link on that? i can't find it :confused:

Cheers mate, I'm thinking the aw 18650 cells sound the best then, how about ultrafire chargers?

I've got some of the Panny plain unprotected NCR18650 2900mah cells - they hold up very well but only use them in my flashlights that have low voltage protection - like my ShiningBeam S-Mini or MG P-Rocket XP-G.

I can also reconmend the Redilast cells - they also use the Panny NCR cells.

If you flashlights are ok with flat top cells - AW
If nt then go for the Redilasts as they are button tops.

I'd steer clear of the Ultrafire chargers - the Xstar charger already reconmended is the best of the cheapy chargers. I have a Pila IBC that I imported - well worth it. I'm currently building a hobby charger cradle for when I want to charge more than two cells at once.

The torch i ordered is really nice, feels well built, is very bright and all 5 modes plus memory work well.

I can't believe how good it is for the price when you compare it to others i've seen on here, no doubt the finish on some of them is a bit nicer but i can't understand why anyone would pay so much more when you can get something like this for less, ultrafire's aren't bad at all. :)

Last edited:
I just ordered a XML t6 torch from china. 1600lms :0
which one? unless it has three or more LEDs it wont be anywhere near 1600 lumens.

i'm not sure why people hold the words of flashlight sellers in such high esteem when we know sound system sellers, highstreet PC sellers and used car salesmen are such flagrant liars. :p

OP reflector for the C8 came today from Manafont, it's very nice and while it diffucses the light pattern a lot more evenly than the smooth one it also spreads the centre spot outward more so it is softer. I guess this was expected on a OP reflector at this kind of diameter. I will stick to smooth on the C8 and see what the XM-L from manafont is like on the L2 when it arrives!

Back
Top Bottom