Spec me an LED Torch

Just got my ultrafire xm-l dropin from manafront with a op reflector but i cant get the op on as the threads just arent matching up. Always prefer op over smooth.

Just looking at CREE shares recently, they came down a lot but still doing good business I think.
Almost reversed back to 2007 levels when they were less successful I think which to me is wrong because I see no reason why we cant have LED used from street lights to all over a house, etc

Just looking at CREE shares recently, they came down a lot but still doing good business I think.
Almost reversed back to 2007 levels when they were less successful I think which to me is wrong because I see no reason why we cant have LED used from street lights to all over a house, etc

the problem is, despite CREEs continuous LED innovation, they've not yet brought to market a product that serves a purpose to the majority of the public, and thus their shareprice won't benefit from their innovation until they do :(

Just got my ultrafire xm-l dropin from manafront with a op reflector but i cant get the op on as the threads just arent matching up. Always prefer op over smooth.
are you sure you're not cross-threading the threads? they're usually VERY easy to cross thread if you don't line them up exactly right. conversely, i've never seen a P60 dropin with nonstandard threads (i've had about 15)

Last edited:
i think those use the same Lighting tech as CREEs office-striplighting replacements, two cool-white LED's and a red one.

it's a reasonable product, i'm sure, but i'm waiting for when the 230-lumen-per-watt technology hits the bulbs :D

The Ultrafire 188 charger arrived today, I'm currently charging the Ultrafire 2400mAh cells at 3.7V & 650mA.

The 139 was charging the same cells to 4.22V exactly in the end so I'll see what the 188 charges them to. I was reading some sites saying it cuts off early on some batteries (protected or not) so have drained the cells to 3.78V and started charging earlier on.

Will update soon!

The Ultrafire 188 charger arrived today, I'm currently charging the Ultrafire 2400mAh cells at 3.7V & 650mA.

The 139 was charging the same cells to 4.22V exactly in the end so I'll see what the 188 charges them to. I was reading some sites saying it cuts off early on some batteries (protected or not) so have drained the cells to 3.78V and started charging earlier on.

Will update soon!
Good work Mrk! i hope the new charger is less detrimental than the old :)

Just ordered a Solarforce L2T with a B6 flat bezel and a S9 tailcap.

sweet! the L2T looks to be an epic P60 host.

The 188 charges more consistently and the batteries are easier to remove too thanks to the open bay design :p

I checked charge levels, one charged to 4.14v while the other was 4.18 so it terminates a little earlier than the 139 which is probably better than overcharging them a bit to 4.22v?

I also found out those laptop 18650s I salvaged, only 2 of those would charge, the rest refused to charge in either charger! Maybe they were dead for too long and the cells just died I don't know.

-

The XM-L from manafont came today and let me tell you this, eff me it's bright! It's brighter than the C8 and that's got a massive reflector! I will test illumination distance when darkness falls but the centre spot is bigger than the C8 and brighter so I imagine it will illuminate as good as, if not better, than the C8.
I also prefer the smooth reflector with the XM-L as I found the OP reflector didn't have as nice a centre beam as I wanted and the spill is more uniform and clean on the smooth as well. Might have something to do with the OP that came with it being lighter OP than the other Op I had on the XP-G.

The colour is very nice too, as white as the XR-E in the C8 and also the outgoing XP-G from the L2. Not manky yellow like the DealExtreme XM-L I got before!

The XM-L also gets VERY hot! You can feel the heat transferring through the L2 though which is good I guess, better out than being left in.

Got some pics:

Emitter size difference:
ManafontXM-L_vs_SolarforceXP-G_Emitters.jpg

Orange peel reflector differences, both smooth and op on the XM-L sort of cylinder in as the surface gets slower to the emitter:
ManafontXM-L_vs_SolarforceXP-G_OpReflectors.jpg

Smooth reflector:
ManafontXM-L_SmoothReflector.jpg

Compared to the C8:
UltraFireC8-XR-E_vs_ManafontXM-L_fronts.jpg

Quick pattern check:
UltraFireC8-XR-E_vs_ManafontXM-L_Patterns.jpg

I don't know what the run time for Manafont's XM-L is but I will keep an eye on it. The XP-G from SolarForce was advertised as the Burntime King with 30 hours at the lowest setting and 3.5 at the highest (15hrs middle). The XM-L has 5 modes (strobe and SOS) and it appears the lowest setting is brighter than the XP-G lowest so I will use that mostly I reckon.

Well went for a walk in the dark last night and here's what I found.

The XM-L T6 centre spot lights more area but is of the same strength as the centre spot on the Ultrafire C8 (XR-E Q5). The surrounding spill though is stronger than the C8 but the C8's more focused centre spot illuminates further than the XM-L due to the bigger reflector and bigger centre on it.

At present the XM-L seems to be the one I'll be using most often and the C8 only when I want to shine stuff far away or only a specific area and not want the brighter surround.

Impressed very much, I am :p

Always fancied a nailbender dropin so ordered a XM-L T6 to go in my Solarforce L2T when it arrives.
Good stuff! post pictures when it arrives :)
Well went for a walk in the dark last night and here's what I found.

The XM-L T6 centre spot lights more area but is of the same strength as the centre spot on the Ultrafire C8 (XR-E Q5). The surrounding spill though is stronger than the C8 but the C8's more focused centre spot illuminates further than the XM-L due to the bigger reflector and bigger centre on it.

At present the XM-L seems to be the one I'll be using most often and the C8 only when I want to shine stuff far away or only a specific area and not want the brighter surround.

Impressed very much, I am :p
I'm glad to hear it Khaan! it's a shame your previous XM-L was a complete flop of a dropin ;)

Anyone know of any way to build an AA powered xml torch.....sort of like an ITP polestar?

Build... well it depends on what access you have to tools and such. but if you mean "assemble out of separately purchased components" like with P60-dropin torches and the like, then no, not as far as i'm aware :(

Thanks Aod.

Your knowledge has been very much appreciated. I'm now the proud owner of an L2T and ultrafire 3 mode xml.

Yes I was meaning buying separate parts for the AA xml....that's a real shame. My dad loves his polestar and I was thinking of making some up for presents at xmas for people that would never go into 18650 territory

Thanks Aod.

Your knowledge has been very much appreciated. I'm now the proud owner of an L2T and ultrafire 3 mode xml.

Yes I was meaning buying separate parts for the AA xml....that's a real shame. My dad loves his polestar and I was thinking of making some up for presents at xmas for people that would never go into 18650 territory
Glad you like your L2T :D
you could make people up a bunch of Solarforce L2i lights with suitable dropins.

they run on three AAA cells or a 18650 if you're borrowing one ;)
build quality is reputedly excellent and they look nice to boot.

should be able to use just about any dropin designed for a single Li-Ion :)

Just got my L2T with a Nailbender XM-L fitted running off a AW18650 2900,first pic is the stock L2T second with a flat bezel and diff tailcap:

ic4wm8.jpg

acrho7.jpg

rat2iv.jpg

What's the spot like with that OP?

I have since found the Manafont sold XM-L T6 is so bright that it warms your face from a few feet away!

Also, somehow I have put a fine scratch about 1cm long into the lens of my L2! Only visible from a slight angle though.

Back
Top Bottom