Spec me an LED Torch

What's the spot like with that OP?

Gonna go out tonight and have a quick blast with it but the hotspot looks a lot wider and spreadout than the manafront xm-l i have with the smooth reflector.

I think my next purchase will be another LT2 this time with a nailbender dual xp-g linger special.

Just ordered some of this as it looks like the stuff nailbender sends you with his dropins to aid in heat dispersion from the LED.

http://www.tape2go.com/Product/292-Copper-Foil-Tape/62

Last edited:
At the end of the month i'm going to a remote house out in the Irish countryside, i'm taking all my torches with me :D

I'm going to rule the darkness :D

The A001 head is quite nice... no idea how it would look on the L2T but it should look pretty badass.
In case you're unsure, it will fit :)

Got the A001 this morning and it certainly helps with the heat the whole torch is much much cooler:

445k5.jpg

hwmpza.jpg

It's infectious isn't it?
I just bought an L2r with a 3-mode "runtime king" XP-G drop-in, and a smooth SS bezel ring.

I'm not even sure why I bought it? I think i'm going to give it to someone :)

I'm after some battery help if possible.....

I need some CR123 batteries for my torch, and I normally get the Energizer Lithium Photo battery, are these the best batteries or are there better ones for a similar price? Are the Duracell Ultra Photo DL123 3 V Lithium batteries any better or pretty much the same??

The good (ie, not fake) name brand ones (Energiser, Duracell, Surefire, Rayovac, Panasonic etc.) are all made in the same factory in the US by Panasonic Corporation.
These are the safest cells and also usually have the highest tested capacities at high discharge rates that flashlights develop.

I have a large quantity of new-in-box made-in-US Panasonic cells, email me in trust if you want to buy any :)

If not, just about all the name-brand CR123A cells are of equivalent quality as long as you don't get the fakes, which will work but have a significantly lower capacity at high discharge rates and are also prone to what is known as "Vent with flame"

Speak to me oh wise ones.

I need a torch, specifically AA Maglite size or around that for when I go to sea next August, I'll need it for peering into crankcases, down into tanks, bilges, cofferdams and so forth. I would go for the AA Maglite itself, but from past experience they're about as bright as someone trying to light a fag in a gale. Thus, what torch would you guys recommend? The only criteria I have is that it's something I can carry round in a pocket on my overalls all day. I'd appreciate any light you could throw on the subject. :D

Cheers.

Budget?

for about £20 you could get a nice Solarforce L2R + dropin, which will happily run on AA's at a respectable brightness.

for about £35 you could get something like an iTP SA2 Eluma

For £40 you could get a nice Jetbeam BA20
and for £60 you could get a Sunwayman M20A

if you're willing to step away from the 2xAA format (which, if you're at sea, you probably should) then 2xCR123A lights will offer higher potential output as well as longer runtimes (considerably longer in the cold) at the cost of lesser convenience and higher running costs.

Thanks chief. I'm going for AA as I think the batteries are easier to get hold off. CR123A torches could prove problematic, as I'd imagine they're not carried on the ship.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll go for the Solarforce L2R.

Cheers.

cool :)

What i've actually just bought earlier today was this:
http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FB&s=8&id=25
http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=207
http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FA&s=15&id=53

total cost was about £22 including shipping (which might be up to a couple of weeks, if you need it urgently email them asking for express shipping!)

I can't give any guarantees how bright this will be on high as it would be limited by the current-deliver-capability of the Alkalines at any given moment, but it will be several orders of magnitude brighter than a MiniMaglite :)

the reason for buying the extra bezel is because the stock bezel is both large and also rather pointy, and is quite unpleasant for pocket-carry. the stainless-steel replacement is tough, effective for hitting things and also still allows you to see if you've left the light on when placed face-down on a surface :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom