Spec me an LED Torch

I think the issue is that a 320 lumens torch running on a single AAA does not have a sensible running time in any way shape or form.

i don't think it's possible to draw enough wattage out of an alkaline AAA to run a light at 320 lumens. Even just 70/80 lumens from a AAA causes it to last less than 50 minutes.

I am in AWE on how this torch the size of a door handle with 1 battery inside can have this much light from that TINY dot in the middle !

I remember my dad having a Maglite torch that has like 4 of those massive D battery in it which is like a small baseball bat and that wasn't half as bright as this.

Hmmm, for a bike you want quite a wide beam so you can see where you're going? any of the 18650 L2's (the L2, P2P, L2X, L2T) would be fine.

If you want a wide beam then you want an XM-L dropin. if you're going to use an 18650 then you want one that's 0.8v to 4.2v rated :)

What sort of mount do you have Robbie? I have one of those one piece rubber mounts that use velcro to hold the torch in place. I found that the L2P can work its self loose at times, especially over really bumpy ground. The knurling is a bit too flat to grip the rubber well and also the fact it has nothing at the end to stop it sliding out could end in a broken torch.

Might be different with a better mount though. Or the L2T might be a better bet as it steps out at the back, so the strap would go through the middle and it couldn't fall out.

http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=45&id=304

What sort of mount do you have Robbie? I have one of those one piece rubber mounts that use velcro to hold the torch in place. I found that the L2P can work its self loose at times, especially over really bumpy ground. The knurling is a bit too flat to grip the rubber well and also the fact it has nothing at the end to stop it sliding out could end in a broken torch.

Might be different with a better mount though. Or the L2T might be a better bet as it steps out at the back, so the strap would go through the middle and it couldn't fall out.

http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=45&id=304

i have one of these http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_mount.html mounts pretty good in my opinion.

Thanks Aod.

Mark, I have a lockblock style velcro mount. Thanks for the heads up about that slipping issue, I'll pick one with a raised bit to allow the strap to fit better.

I just don't understand the differences between XM-L, XP-G, XR-E, SST, etc.!

The only downside I have just noticed about the torch I linked is it doesn't allow the torch to tail stand. The button would be easier to press with gloves on though, so its a benefit for riding I guess.

they're all different models of LEDs with different characteristics.

To summarise;

XR-E - the "oldest" emitter, still respectable output with the benefit of excellent throw due to the very small emissive surface and integral reflector. the "least" efficient LED still in use
XP-E - "Modern" equivalent of the XR-E, cheaper due a considerably smaller package, can throw just as well but requires a different reflector to do so. now capable of better efficiency than the XR-E
XP-G - upgrade of the XP-E and XR-E, with a larger die (the light-emitting bit) is capable of greater efficiency and substantially improved total light output. moderately less throw due to the larger emitter.
XM-L - biggest single-die LED that cree make with a 2mm x 2mm emitter-surface. capable of double the current of an XP-G, but at four times the Die-size, has substantially less throw. Currently the most efficient LED in use.
SST-50 - this is an LED manufactured not by Cree but by Luminus Devices. capable of more current than the XM-L but less efficient by about 15%
SST-90 - Another Luminus LED, even bigger than the SST-50, capable of running at more than 5A iirc. still less efficient but brighter overall than the XM-L

Oh, lots of people like to buy them separately but there's really no reason why you shouldn't buy them together, you'll get the same thing anyway.

This should do you well:
http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=45&id=305

The only downside I have just noticed about the torch I linked is it doesn't allow the torch to tail stand. The button would be easier to press with gloves on though, so its a benefit for riding I guess.

Thanks Aod.

Mark, I have a lockblock style velcro mount. Thanks for the heads up about that slipping issue, I'll pick one with a raised bit to allow the strap to fit better.

I just don't understand the differences between XM-L, XP-G, XR-E, SST, etc.!

I have that L2 but with the tails tandswitch, you can buy the tailstand individually or buy the host + switch pair and then buy the dropin - You get the same thing, just bought separately.

One thing to note, the tactical head on the front does make the flood diameter smaller by a few feet depending on how far it's shining so I would recommend picking up the shorter bezel head which will make it better.

http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?id=180&s=15&t=FA

they're all different models of LEDs with different characteristics.

To summarise;

XR-E - the "oldest" emitter, still respectable output with the benefit of excellent throw due to the very small emissive surface and integral reflector. the "least" efficient LED still in use
XP-E - "Modern" equivalent of the XR-E, cheaper due a considerably smaller package, can throw just as well but requires a different reflector to do so. now capable of better efficiency than the XR-E
XP-G - upgrade of the XP-E and XR-E, with a larger die (the light-emitting bit) is capable of greater efficiency and substantially improved total light output. moderately less throw due to the larger emitter.
XM-L - biggest single-die LED that cree make with a 2mm x 2mm emitter-surface. capable of double the current of an XP-G, but at four times the Die-size, has substantially less throw. Currently the most efficient LED in use.
SST-50 - this is an LED manufactured not by Cree but by Luminus Devices. capable of more current than the XM-L but less efficient by about 15%
SST-90 - Another Luminus LED, even bigger than the SST-50, capable of running at more than 5A iirc. still less efficient but brighter overall than the XM-L

very informative indeed!

Now I know why mrk said my C8 is a lightsaber before I tried it. :)

Makes you wonder why car makers don't use LED headlights as they're highly focusable and project light very evenly (even compared to Xenons) - they're use less power than current headlights too no? They could also make more unique headlight designs which are smaller and more stylish because current ones are pretty massive on a lot of cars!

Only the new BMW 6 series uses LED headlights that I know of. They could then get rid of the ghastly daytime running LED strip lights completely.

:D Good stuff!

I phoned up http://www.nitecore.co.uk today and they had just placed their latest JetBeam order and the guy said he'd save my order until the next JB order was placed in 3 weeks time so if anyone else is getting a BC40 and wants a smooth reflector then phone him asap to ensure he orders the right number.

The price could not be confirmed as they are given during the order based on number ordered so I assume we can get one cheaper if a bunch of us order one :p

I'll be placing my order on the 1st December and because it's going to be shipped as business mail I imagine it should arrive before XMAS....maybe!

i would be interested to see how much they will charge mrk, but to be honest am very happy with the dimpled reflectors beam for my purposes.

Back
Top Bottom